Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2012 · Most D800/E owners are HERMITS

rexx714
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Most D800/E owners are HERMITS

All this talk about AF issue on the D800/E is BULL SH*T. I dont know of a camera that will catch focus perfectly under artificial light. Get out of your home and enjoy your camera like normal people.

Aug 01, 2012 at 05:08 PM
lukeb
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Most D800/E owners are HERMITS

If I spend $3 grand for something, anything, I expect it to work properly.

Further, I believe most people feel the same way (present company excluded).

Edited by Fred Miranda on Aug 02, 2012 at 12:24 AM

Aug 01, 2012 at 05:22 PM
rexx714
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Most D800/E owners are HERMITS

Focus shift and curvature of the image cuased by the lens is whats cuasing some to think that their D800/E might be a lemon. This is an awsome camera along with the D700 down to a D40.

Aug 01, 2012 at 05:38 PM
snapsy
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Most D800/E owners are HERMITS

rexx714 wrote:
All this talk about AF issue on the D800/E is BULL SH*T. I dont know of a camera that will catch focus perfectly under artificial light.

I agree, no phase-detect camera is perfect but the affected D800 models have a 100% miss rate for the Left AF point under any lighting. Whether one notices that 100% miss rate depends on whether they're shooting 50mm and below, at a distance of 4 feet or greater, and at an aperture where the focus miss is greater than the DOF (f/2.8 and wider). Under those same conditions my D3s has a 90% hit rate on its Left AF point.

Aug 01, 2012 at 05:49 PM
malcolmp6
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Most D800/E owners are HERMITS

With camera mounted on tripod, identical lighting conditions, aim at focus chart and test extreme left focus point and center focus point. Center is sharp and left is out of focus. What does that tell you?

Even though I don't use the left focus point much I would expect a $3k camera to be perfect and not defective.

Aug 01, 2012 at 05:53 PM
mshi
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Most D800/E owners are HERMITS

Probably you didn't read this: http://nikonrumors.com/2012/07/29/rumor-nikon-to-announce-a-repair-advisory-for-the-d800-left-focusing-issue.aspx/

Aug 01, 2012 at 05:59 PM
Steve Perry
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Most D800/E owners are HERMITS

This reminds me of when the Canon EOS MKIII came out and had serious AF issues - post after forum post about people saying it's bad technique, inexperience users, etc. Turns out there really WAS an issue and the same is true for BOTH of my D800 bodies.

When I use center AF or the right AF< my subjects - in the real world - are sharp. When I use the left AF, they're not. I'm glad you seem to have a camera that's fine, congrats

Aug 01, 2012 at 06:00 PM
pubtime
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Most D800/E owners are HERMITS

Seriously rexx?!

Aug 01, 2012 at 06:05 PM
akclimber
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Most D800/E owners are HERMITS

rexx714 wrote:
Focus shift and curvature of the image cuased by the lens is whats cuasing some to think that their D800/E might be a lemon. This is an awsome camera along with the D700 down to a D40.

Er, my D800E has a blatantly defective left AF point. It has nothing what so ever to do with focus shift or field curvature. Intimating that D800 owners aren't savvy enough to test for a faulty AF point fault is, well, more than a little insulting. Thank you for the constructive post.

Aug 01, 2012 at 06:23 PM
Taoguy
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Most D800/E owners are HERMITS

lukeb
Therefore I would submit you are a moron.

+1

Aug 01, 2012 at 08:10 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

James R
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Most D800/E owners are HERMITS

Steve Perry wrote:
This reminds me of when the Canon EOS MKIII came out and had serious AF issues - post after forum post about people saying it's bad technique, inexperience users, etc. Turns out there really WAS an issue and the same is true for BOTH of my D800 bodies.

When I use center AF or the right AF< my subjects - in the real world - are sharp. When I use the left AF, they're not. I'm glad you seem to have a camera that's fine, congrats

Curious, did all MKIII have the same focus issue? The focus issue with the D800/E seems to be different from camera to camera. My problem is the left AF point's focus drops off quicker than the center or right points. This is not worth worrying about. Others are reporting a pretty wide variety of focus issues, with some being pretty severe. I think many are under the impression that reported problems are an all or nothing proposition--if I have a problem, then you have a problem, but, if I don't, you don't. The OP might feel this way.

Aug 01, 2012 at 09:36 PM
VinnieJ
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Most D800/E owners are HERMITS

rexx714 wrote:
All this talk about AF issue on the D800/E is BULL SH*T. I dont know of a camera that will catch focus perfectly under artificial light. Get out of your home and enjoy your camera like normal people.

22K actuation's and still going.

Aug 01, 2012 at 10:24 PM
Rags Hef
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Most D800/E owners are HERMITS

D800 ownership is not evidenced in the original post....

Pretty troll like

Rags

Aug 01, 2012 at 11:23 PM
Steve Perry
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Most D800/E owners are HERMITS

James R wrote:
Curious, did all MKIII have the same focus issue? The focus issue with the D800/E seems to be different from camera to camera. My problem is the left AF point's focus drops off quicker than the center or right points. This is not worth worrying about. Others are reporting a pretty wide variety of focus issues, with some being pretty severe. I think many are under the impression that reported problems are an all or nothing proposition--if I have a problem, then you have a problem, but, if I don't, you don't. The OP might feel this way.

It was similar with people having problems to greater or lesser degrees, and all the same types of forum posts - again

Yeah, I agree - I think people are looking at their one sample and using it as the standard for the 100,000+ cameras or so that are now in the wild.

Aug 02, 2012 at 01:44 AM
hidden_Markov
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Most D800/E owners are HERMITS

rexx714 wrote:

they see me trolling, they hatin.....

Trolling 101. Use alts to post or be consistent on the main. This would hve worked much better if your post history didn't show you in recent threads are enjoying your newly fixed gear from el segundo.

You state several time its came back way better in fact. So which is it.....did you too send the gear to nikon for an imaginary problem solved by good ole sunlight.....or was it broke. Pick one or shall I cool story bro both of them. Bad trolling, 0/10.

Aug 02, 2012 at 08:46 AM
derry1
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Most D800/E owners are HERMITS

gosh I'm out with my 800E all the time,,

out of several thousand photos the only ones done inside were lens testing,,

I do love those 150% crops though,, :o)

Derry

Aug 02, 2012 at 07:16 PM
jhinkey
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Most D800/E owners are HERMITS

rexx714 wrote:

Another less than intelligent comment by a person that thinks because THEY don't have any AF issues with their camera that others that report such problems must be morons.

This is an example of a thought process which causes much of the problems in this world . . .

Aug 02, 2012 at 07:25 PM
ronno
• •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Most D800/E owners are HERMITS

James R wrote:
Curious, did all MKIII have the same focus issue?

Um, I think he is talking about the MK II, not the III. Mk III has been perfect focusing as far as I have read.
Anyway, this is off topic...

Aug 02, 2012 at 08:55 PM
cheeba
• •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Most D800/E owners are HERMITS

jhinkey wrote:
This is an example of a thought process which causes much of the problems in this world . . .

Agreed - it speaks volumes about someone's self-confidence when they consistently assign blame to other people with zero information on the matter at hand. I started a thread here on saving some mis-focused images that are very important, and was immediately jumped on for poor technique, the images being useless and thus garbage, etc. Turns out that NPS admitted there was a problem with the D800s, fixed mine in 2 days, and sent them back working perfectly...

Aug 02, 2012 at 09:01 PM
lukeb
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Most D800/E owners are HERMITS

jhinkey wrote:
Another less than intelligent comment by a person that thinks because THEY don't have any AF issues with their camera that others that report such problems must be morons.

+1

Aug 03, 2012 at 01:09 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password