New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Russia- #2 Mom and child

Charlie Shugart
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Russia- #2 Mom and child

Playing in the sun on a brisk November day.
Irkutsk, Siberia.

Charlie Shugart 2012

Charlie Shugart 2012

Aug 01, 2012 at 12:03 PM
Steady Hand
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Russia- #2 Mom and child

hi Charlie,

From this set of two, I prefer the #2 image (more touching).

A thought occurred to me as I viewed these.

I wondered why these seem different from the many others you have posted that I have enjoyed (more than these).

I think I know the answer.

In all the other photos of children I have seen you post, and the ones I enjoyed seeing so much, I believe it was their response to YOU that made those photos so special. I showed in their expressions and each of them gave me a reflection of the person taking the picture, someone who caused the kids to laugh or smile or have fun at that moment. I consider that evidence of a nice quality you have when you photograph your subjects.

Of course this is how I see it...and I expect you may see it differently.

Aug 01, 2012 at 12:22 PM
Charlie Shugart
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Russia- #2 Mom and child

Thanks for your thoughts, Steady.
As you might guess, I don't think about that any particular thing like that at all. For me the travel experience is everything; the photography thing is secondary.
Since you mention it, though, I see what you mean- and thank you for it.
You are a portraitist mainly (I think); whereas I'm a street shooter- and I never set up a people shot, nor "direct" the actors in the scene ().
My travel photography is documentary- which in effect means that I sometimes shoot people without the subject knowing it. In cases of children, I usually make sure it's okay with the adult accompanying the child- but the picture itself is often taken with the child not paying attention to me (as in this second image). With my previous Russian post of the boy sitting next to the watermelons, the child knew exactly what I was doing, so I tried to relay my friendliness to him, and he responded. Also, such "closeups" are not at all close; I use zooms so I can get the composition I want without getting closer than 10 feet from the child. Any closer and it might cause them concern. That is unforgivable to me.
Also, from beginning to end, my people shots often take less than 10 seconds- and seldom more than 30 seconds, unless I shoot a half dozen images or more- which, because I used slide film, I almost never did. Typically, I looked for the decisive moment, clicked the shutter, smiled and then left.
Charlie

Aug 01, 2012 at 03:26 PM

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.