Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2012 · Zone AF vs. one select point AF

PetKal
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Zone AF vs. one select point AF

mptnest wrote:
Petkal wrote:
All I can do on the fly is tweak the shutter speed/aperture.

Peter, unless the lighting changes drastically, 1 to 2 stops, i don't adjust my exposure much on the fly. I find it easier to adjust exposure in post than I can focus . Am I thinking correctly on that?

I sure agree with that.....a well focused image gives one the longest "reach" of all.
However, I need to be rather close with exposure as well, being a JPG shooter. On the species I am familiar with I try to control it within 1/3 of a stop.
...Show more

Aug 02, 2012 at 02:36 AM
mptnest
• •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Zone AF vs. one select point AF

I'm still battling (but have gotten away from) the 'shoot to the right' of the histogram without blowing the highlights vs proper exposure (raw). But that's another thread . I like to stay within a 1/3, but 2/3 still works for me, that's my goal. Actually (i'm gonna get bashed for this, but oh well), i like to shoot -1/3 on my 7D. The shadows and contrast are much nicer without so much post tweaking.

Again. That's my preferance with my setup.

Aug 02, 2012 at 02:50 AM
StillFingerz
• • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Zone AF vs. one select point AF

PetKal wrote:
Jerry, perhaps someone else can chime in with that C function because I've never used it.
I think zone AF can work well if the background doesn't compete against your target for AF's "attention".
That means the background is either "smooth", or it is very distant.
Also, for close target zone AF, gotta have plenty of DoF because you have no control on the parts of the target that the camera will focus on. In theory it should AF on the closest contrast, but in practice it is pretty scattered.

Also, see those two illustrations below. They are full frames taken
...Show more

Peter, have read a bit more on the C "Mode Dial" set functions (the 1D pro bodies don't have a mode dial) and AF functions/settings along with most all settings are saved for future use; like they are on my 40/50D. Your 7D can do this, I'll take a closer look at it's and the 5D3's AF systems.

Thanks for the visuals, BIF images, they helped, explained why I get more keepers shooting airplanes, birds, kites or anything in the sky, then when shooting surfers. All that pounding water, foam n spray can be quite distracting, not to mention those bikini clad birds that seem to...zone AF might help...maybe

Jerry

Aug 02, 2012 at 03:00 AM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Zone AF vs. one select point AF

mptnest wrote:
I'm still battling (but have gotten away from) the 'shoot to the right' of the histogram without blowing the highlights vs proper exposure (raw). But that's another thread . I like to stay within a 1/3, but 2/3 still works for me, that's my goal. Actually (i'm gonna get bashed for this, but oh well), i like to shoot -1/3 on my 7D. The shadows and contrast are much nicer without so much post tweaking.

Again. That's my preferance with my setup.

What's a "histogram"
Would an image like this have that "histogram" ?

Edited on Aug 02, 2012 at 05:02 PM · View previous versions

Aug 02, 2012 at 03:14 AM
StillFingerz
• • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Zone AF vs. one select point AF

Beautiful greens in that image Peter, !DX? 400f5.6L? single point AF?

Aug 02, 2012 at 03:45 AM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Zone AF vs. one select point AF

Thank you, Jerry.
That was taken with my mighty 1DsMkII + 800L handheld.
Indeed, single point AF with auto expansion, Servo AF mode, although when stalking fish that heron moves so slowly that even one shot AF would be good.

Aug 02, 2012 at 03:49 AM
mptnest
• •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Zone AF vs. one select point AF

A histogram is a graphical representaion showing the distribution of color data in your photo. The left side represents the shadows while the right represents the highlights. It is the graph accessed with the info button while in review mode.

btw, yes, your photo has LOTS of histogram

Aug 02, 2012 at 11:40 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

mptnest
• •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Zone AF vs. one select point AF

I just uncrated a 5D3. First impression is the much finer 61 point AF is going to allow me to use more zone AF modes. The spot mode covers an incredibly small area compared to the 7D. Very nice.

Aug 02, 2012 at 11:01 PM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Zone AF vs. one select point AF

mptnest wrote:
I just uncrated a 5D3. First impression is the much finer 61 point AF is going to allow me to use more zone AF modes. The spot mode covers an incredibly small area compared to the 7D. Very nice.

Al, that's excellent.....hope the camera on the whole agrees with you too, because the AF system should be good.

Aug 02, 2012 at 11:13 PM
mogud
• • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Zone AF vs. one select point AF

PetKal - changing the AF mode on the 1Dx and 5D III is probably the same on the 7D. With your right thumb, press the AF mode select button and all the AF points should light up red in the viewfinder. With your right index finger, press the MFn botton located to the left of the shutter button. On older 1 series bodies this button was the FEL button. Once the AF select button is pushed and released and the the MFn button pushed you can scroll through the various AF modes with every press of the MFn button. Takes some practise getting the fingers to go on the right buttons but once mastered you can change AF modes on the fly. Hope this helps.

Aug 03, 2012 at 01:34 AM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Zone AF vs. one select point AF

Mogud, thank you....I've been thinking about possible ways of incorporating that into my BIF shooting routine.

Aug 03, 2012 at 02:14 AM
mogud
• • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Zone AF vs. one select point AF

I also use the Q button and scroll through the shooting functions with the joystick. The AF modes show up when the Q button is pressed on the 7D. The AF modes don't show up when the Q button is pressed on the 5D III or the 1D x. You have to press the INFO button and then scroll to the AF modes with the joystick to change the AF mode.

With my aging eyes, I can't see anything on the upper LCD without reading glasses, so the Q button is a life saver for me when I'm in the field and want to change any shooting functions. The Q button on the 5D III and 1Dx is located beside the quick change dial so I can press it with my thumb. On the 7D, I've reprogrammed the SET button as the Q button.

BTW, I don't use Zone AF mode at all on the 7d. I use single point or single with expansion most of the time.

Aug 03, 2012 at 02:25 AM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Zone AF vs. one select point AF

Yes, the "Q button" is one of several good ideas introduced with 7D.

Aug 03, 2012 at 02:29 AM
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password