Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Portable Photo Storage Device vs Netbook?

omarlyn
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Portable Photo Storage Device vs Netbook?

I recently was podering getting one of those portable storage device to download my assiatant photographer's images in the field without having to boot-up a contentional laptop. However, I was sticker-shocked at the price of the better units and I started to think that a really small netbook will cost less and be alot more versatile with a small trade-off in size and boot-up time. I figure a 'clean' operating system just running basic drivers should boot-up pretty quickly and although it'll be bigger than a storage device, some of these netbooks are surprisingly small.

So, my question: Is there really any advantage to using one of these storage units or has their day in the Sun, come & gone? Is a small netbook the better choice at this point?

Omar

Aug 01, 2012 at 03:17 PM
15Bit
• • • •
p.1 #2 · Portable Photo Storage Device vs Netbook?

Probably depends on what you want to do with it. For "on location" file storage its probably great, likewise backpacking round south east asia or something. For 5 days hiking in the mountains where weight and size are important, or where you will have extended lengths away from an electricity source, a netbook might be more battery life limited. For both of those you can always just take more CF cards though, which will probably cost less than either the netbook or portable storage device, and weight less.

I've often wondered who buys these portable storage things - they seem very expensive for what they are.

Aug 01, 2012 at 05:30 PM
hfgarris
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · Portable Photo Storage Device vs Netbook?

One advantage of the portable storage drives is that you can insert the flash card and initiate the transfer, then put it back in your bag or pocket while it does the backup. A large memory card takes a while to transfer with either a portable unit or netbook/ultrabook/notebook computer.

Other than that ... each has unique advantages over the other with regards to display, size, weight, and usefullness.

-howard

Aug 02, 2012 at 05:20 PM
Wobble
• • •
p.1 #4 · Portable Photo Storage Device vs Netbook?

If you get a Netbook, immediately swap out the hard drive for a solid state hard drive and add as much memory as it will take. You will then have a screaming compact machine.

Aug 14, 2012 at 02:44 PM
nelvayut
• •
p.1 #5 · Portable Photo Storage Device vs Netbook?

It depends I guess. The portable storage device copy files faster than a netbook, lightweight, small size and doesn't consume a lot of space and its easy to carry.
I bought a Sanho Hyperdrive colorspace udma 320gb at b&h for 389.95 last 5/2010 and the price today is still the same.

Aug 14, 2012 at 03:19 PM
matt4626
• • •
p.1 #6 · Portable Photo Storage Device vs Netbook?

I hope I'm wrong but it looks like Hyperdrives are history. I love to buy one with USB 3.0 but I don't think any new ones will be made...

Aug 14, 2012 at 06:11 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

matt4626
• • •
p.1 #7 · Portable Photo Storage Device vs Netbook?

Update...I just got a message from Sanho and they will have "something" new out by the end of the month...no USB 3.0 however...

Aug 14, 2012 at 06:20 PM
JBPhotog
• • •
p.1 #8 · Portable Photo Storage Device vs Netbook?

I have the Sanho Album shell and stuck a 500 GB drive in it. So far no issues and it is a couple of years old and been abroad a few times.

My only gripe with Sanho is it is like shopping at Costco, you see it, you buy it because next week it is gone forever.

Aug 14, 2012 at 06:53 PM
wilt
• • •
p.1 #9 · Portable Photo Storage Device vs Netbook?

You need to ask yourself what you truly need...

1. A portable battery powered way to copy digital data from your memory card (and perhaps also back that data up via a USB powered external device connected to the unit, or

2. A portable battery powered way to copy digital data from your memory card (and perhaps also back that data up via a USB powered external device connected to the PC, as well as

1. a means of accessing emails,
  2. writing notes about the photos taken each day,
  3. surfing the web

Aug 24, 2012 at 12:21 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · Portable Photo Storage Device vs Netbook?

matt4626 wrote:
Update...I just got a message from Sanho and they will have "something" new out by the end of the month...no USB 3.0 however...

Probably something for a Mac.

EBH

Aug 24, 2012 at 12:35 AM
M635_Guy
• • • •
p.1 #11 · Portable Photo Storage Device vs Netbook?

I'd spend the few extra bucks and get a "real" PC and not a netbook...

Aug 24, 2012 at 12:39 AM
AMaji
• • • •
p.1 #12 · Portable Photo Storage Device vs Netbook?

I use a netbook, a card reader and portable HDs. That way, I have double backups. I too was shocked at the price tag of those photo down loaders.

Aug 24, 2012 at 01:43 AM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password