Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Mobile App: Top Photo Spots

Bloodworth_Wil

Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Mobile App: Top Photo Spots

I wasn't sure which forum this would be most appropriate so I chose "Landscape" as those are the photographers who would use this app the most...

There is a brand new mobile application called "Top Photo Spots" I believe you really ought to give a try. Just as a side-note, I'm on the board of the company who commissioned this application to be built... so you need to take my enthusiasm with that in mind.

If you ever travel, or are simply looking for what photos others are taking near a location, this new mobile application (currently only for iOS and Android devices) is really cool.

You type in a search term and Top Photo Spots finds the most "interesting" images matching that term within a certain distance of your current location (or from a pin you've dropped on a map). It's using Flickr's API in order to do all of this. It even has a feature to give you the driving directions from one photo to another (I think).

For me, this app is really great because I don't have a lot of time on my hands when I do get the chance to travel so I want to make the most of it. I think it might get a lot of usage from users like Abel who travel more than they sit at home [envy]! Also it can give you insight into really cool photo locations and angles that you might know exist in an area.

The best part? It's only $1.99! I think most of the photography apps I've paid for are in the $7 to $10 range so this is a steal.

App Store Link to Top Photo Spots

Let me know what you think. And IF you love it, PLEASE leave a quick rating and description in the iStore. I'm not an Android user so I don't know if they have the equivalent but if they do, I would appreciate you Android users doing the same!

Thank you,

- Wil

Aug 01, 2012 at 03:05 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Mobile App: Top Photo Spots

This is an interesting concept and it capitalizes on the social media context of sharing information among others with similar interests. On the other hand, a concern could be that more photographers are encouraged to go to the same places and re-shoot the same photographs that others have shot rather than stepping outside that path and looking for their own vision.

Thinking out loud... :-)

Dan

Aug 01, 2012 at 04:20 PM
Bloodworth_Wil

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Mobile App: Top Photo Spots

Dan,

That's a very good point! I hope that is not the case. In fact, I hope it encourages photographers to think, "Hey, I don't want the same exact shot as everyone else. Let me look around and find a better one."

Of course, for "tourists", they're going to be 100% serene with the standard shot.

Thank you for the feedback!

- Wil

Aug 01, 2012 at 04:23 PM
ckcarr
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Mobile App: Top Photo Spots

Hopefully you will read the below and incorporate their philosophy into your app. Even the bumbling federal and state agencies are slowly coming to the realization that their overzealous promotion of sites has hurt, and not helped...

Aug 01, 2012 at 05:17 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Bloodworth_Wil

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Mobile App: Top Photo Spots

Oh, that's a FANTASTIC idea! Thank you! We will definitely try to get that in there as it's an excellent message.

- Wil

Aug 01, 2012 at 05:23 PM
dswiger
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Mobile App: Top Photo Spots

gdanmitchell wrote:
This is an interesting concept and it capitalizes on the social media context of sharing information among others with similar interests. On the other hand, a concern could be that more photographers are encouraged to go to the same places and re-shoot the same photographs that others have shot rather than stepping outside that path and looking for their own vision.

Thinking out loud... :-)

Dan

Not sure what "sites" are listed in this app. If its just things like Tunnel View, Yosemite Falls, OK.
But some obsure places that have more fragile eco systems then I'm not a fan of it.

This reminds me of an experience at Mono Lake a few years back.
Two fully loaded tour buses unloaded & maybe 100 plus folks were crawling over the tufa.
I mean literally, crawling.
Not only were they so absorbed in their posing antics that were obscuring any real photography,
they were abusing the tufa.

It will be a sad day when all this stuff is behind some sort of fencing/barrier to prevent its accelerated decay. The only pristine views will be from archival photos......

I am sure there are greater horror stories in the the SW with the petroglyphs.

When I want to see a place that I might have seen a photo of, I do a careful study of where it might be, what areas it is in, even restrictions. If I cant find it, then I let the mystery continue.
Is this all about getting a bunch of "likes" on FB when you instagram you stolen view....

Everybody wants to find where the icons are, including myself.
Like Dan_ said, I get more out of photographing something unique, that nurtures my vision.
Often this is some local treasure.

Dan

Aug 01, 2012 at 06:15 PM
Bloodworth_Wil

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Mobile App: Top Photo Spots

Dan,

The "app" doesn't know anything about "sites". It only knows geolocation. I knows your longitude and latitude and it uses that information to query Flickr for interesting photos near your location.

I feel your pain on that tour bus deal. What a way to ruin an experience! It's sad that people just are losing respect for nature and its beauty.

- Wil

Aug 01, 2012 at 06:20 PM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password