Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

  New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

  

Archive 2012 · Should I switch to primes for my wide end?
  
 
niXer
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Should I switch to primes for my wide end?


So recently I sold off my 17-55 for the 17-35mm to use on both my D3 & D7K but unfortunately it wasn't as sharp as I was hoping, though I suspect it was the copy of the lens.

While looking for another 17-35mm I'm starting to think if I really need a zoom for my wide end. When I use a wide-angle zoom I am either at the wide end or long end of it and really I don't vary my focal length that much so switching lenses wouldn't be that big of a slow-down.

I was thinking maybe I could pick up the 20mm f/2.8D, 35mm f/2D and 50mm f/1.8D.

The thing I photograph most is squirrels and that's what my 70-200mm is for. Otherwise anything else I shoot is just for fun. Really wish there was a 20mm f/1.8.

This sound like a smart idea?



Aug 01, 2012 at 12:00 PM
Two23
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · Should I switch to primes for my wide end?


There is a Sigma 20mm f1.8, but it's not sharp until you stop down to about f4.


Kent in SD



Aug 01, 2012 at 12:13 PM
Mishu01
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · Should I switch to primes for my wide end?


I am a big fan of primes... but I sold my copy of 20/2.8 AF-D because I disliked its IQ. I do not know if my copy was a lemon or it just does not keep the standard with digital age... 35/2 is a sweet little lens that performs very well on D3/D700 but if you will upgrade to D800 will not satisfy. IMHO the new 28/1.8 AF-S is the greatest option in this area. Also the new 50/1.8 AF-S outperforms the old AF-D version.

If I'd be in your shoes I'll look at:

Rokinon / Samyang 14/2.8 - manual focus - great IQ for an affordable cost
28/1.8 AF-S
50/1.8 AF-S



Aug 01, 2012 at 01:37 PM
Jim Casteel
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · Should I switch to primes for my wide end?


I wasn't a big fan of my 17-35 either... Until I sent it to Nikon to have the focus motor swapped out. They cleaned and aligned it. When it came back it was Amazingly sharp. The only prime WA lenses I would look at are the Tokina 17mm 3.5, Nikon 24mm 1.4, Rokinon 24mm 1.4 and the Nikon 28mm 1.8. None of the rest of them will be any sharper than your current 17-35 especially if you send it to nikon for "cleaning".

I had the Tokina 19-35mm, it was as sharp as my 17-35 post realignment, but the close focus distance was like 18 inches and was a big dissatisfier for me.

I have played with the Rokinon 14mm 2.8 and while it is sharp you have to have a special lens profile to deal with the distortion.



Aug 01, 2012 at 01:49 PM
 

Search in Used Dept. 



Kell
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · Should I switch to primes for my wide end?


"The thing I photograph most is squirrels "

sorry, just made me chuckle



Aug 01, 2012 at 03:24 PM
niXer
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #6 · Should I switch to primes for my wide end?


Two23 wrote:
There is a Sigma 20mm f1.8, but it's not sharp until you stop down to about f4.

Kent in SD


I know of it but I don't like Sigma. Really hate how they make lenses that Nikon doesn't.

Mishu01 wrote:
I am a big fan of primes... but I sold my copy of 20/2.8 AF-D because I disliked its IQ. I do not know if my copy was a lemon or it just does not keep the standard with digital age... 35/2 is a sweet little lens that performs very well on D3/D700 but if you will upgrade to D800 will not satisfy. IMHO the new 28/1.8 AF-S is the greatest option in this area. Also the new 50/1.8 AF-S outperforms the old AF-D version.

If I'd be in your shoes I'll look at:

Rokinon / Samyang 14/2.8 - manual focus
...Show more

The reason I went with that line up is because I'd use the primes more on my D7000 but I don't want any DX lenses so 20mm seems to be the widest one Nikon has that is affordable for me. Not sure on the 28 f/1.8. That would be a great prime for my D3 but on the D7K it wouldn't be wide enough. But your IQ remark lines up with what I've been reading about the 20mm. Also I use to own the 50mm f /1.8D and I remember it being good on my D90 but will look into the f/1.8G. As much as I love playing with MF, the Samyang is not an option for me. Thanks for your input!

dionysis wrote:
I wasn't a big fan of my 17-35 either... Until I sent it to Nikon to have the focus motor swapped out. They cleaned and aligned it. When it came back it was Amazingly sharp. The only prime WA lenses I would look at are the Tokina 17mm 3.5, Nikon 24mm 1.4, Rokinon 24mm 1.4 and the Nikon 28mm 1.8. None of the rest of them will be any sharper than your current 17-35 especially if you send it to nikon for "cleaning".

I had the Tokina 19-35mm, it was as sharp as my 17-35 post realignment, but the close
...Show more

This has provided me with valuable insight. I have already sold off my 17-35mm. I risked it by buying it from eBay. It was in perfect condition but I had to do a lot of post to get it sharp. I should have just waited for it on FM. Hopefully someone has a sharp copy but if I can't find it, I might just have to go primes. How much did it cost you to get it fixed up? Was it on warranty? I like Tokina, but yeah the 18" MFD would bother me too.

Kell wrote:
"The thing I photograph most is squirrels "

sorry, just made me chuckle


Hey it helps me validate my purchases and one day if squirrels ever become the next lolcats, I'll be right there!



Aug 01, 2012 at 03:53 PM
James R
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #7 · Should I switch to primes for my wide end?


17-55 is a great lens on a DX body. IMO, the 14-24 is Nikon's best wide, provided you don't use filters. I'm selling my Zeiss 21 because the 14-24 gets the call.





Aug 01, 2012 at 04:04 PM





FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

    
 

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password