Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · T4i or 60D for Macro

GC5
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · T4i or 60D for Macro

My main camera is a 5d2 and I have a 1DII I use for my kids' sports. I used to have a 60d and miss it, primarily for macro shots where I liked the swivel screen and live view. I am considering picking up another one, but think the t4i might actually be a slight improvement with better liveview focusing and screen resolution. Anyone else considering the t4i as a macro camera? The main drawback would seem to be the dim viewfinder for when I wanted to manual focus without using liveview...

And of course, it is more expensive at present than the 60d...

Aug 01, 2012 at 01:37 AM
Ernie Aubert
• • • •
p.1 #2 · T4i or 60D for Macro

I didn't spend the time to read this entire review:
http://reviews.cnet.com/digital-cameras/canon-eos-rebel-t4i/4505-6501_7-35329243.html
but I think I'd choose the 60D. I don't know if the LCD on the T4i articulates, but the one on the 60D does, and for macro shooting, that's non-trivial. The one drawback I know of with the 60D is that it doesn't have the AF micro-adjustment feature; that may not matter much for macro, since one doesn't usually rely on AF for macro (at least this one doesn't ).

Aug 01, 2012 at 01:57 AM
GC5
• • • •
p.1 #3 · T4i or 60D for Macro

t4i screen also articulates and has a higher resolution. It doesn't have a a control whell or top LCD and uses an inferior viewfinder, and tops out at 1/4000 shutter speed. Shutter speed doesn't matter to me bc of my 1d2. The ergonomics matter, but I am wondering whether the touchscreen LCD makes up for the lack of control wheel. I am thinking it might. I figure IQ would be close or better for the t4i.

Also, I don't know whether t4i can control as many flash groups wirelessly. I am guessing no, but never use more than 2 anyway.

Aug 01, 2012 at 02:09 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

vsg28
• • •
p.1 #4 · T4i or 60D for Macro

I like using the top LCD a lot, and with the slightly lower cost (and some other benefits of the XXd line), I would go with the 60D. Of course I may be a bit biased

Aug 01, 2012 at 03:20 AM
CW100
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #5 · T4i or 60D for Macro

GC5 wrote:

if this is your third DSLR backup then get the cheapest - 60D

Aug 01, 2012 at 09:56 AM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #6 · T4i or 60D for Macro

GC5 wrote:
I used to have a 60d and miss it, primarily for macro shots where I liked the swivel screen and live view. I am considering picking up another one, but think the t4i might actually be a slight improvement with better liveview focusing and screen resolution. Anyone else considering the t4i as a macro camera? The main drawback would seem to be the dim viewfinder for when I wanted to manual focus without using liveview...

I would want to test the 'improved' live view AF on a non STM lens first. as far as I can tell (by what ive read) the Hybrid AF really needs the STM motor to work properly.

if the T4i is at the moment more expensive than the 60D I think I would choose the 60D . (and get it used as well)
a friend of mine has the 60D and he likes it alot. I've had a go on it but prefer my 7D

Aug 01, 2012 at 06:25 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password