Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Gorgeous, Stylish Family of Six

Lisa_Holloway
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Gorgeous, Stylish Family of Six

Remember these guys? They are my friends and fellow photographers. I had taught a mentoring session back in June and they stepped in to be my family models for the day. Unfortunately, Jason's 2 children were gone that day, so they didn't get a TRUE family picture, and I really wanted to give them that. They were all around the other day, so we took off just to get a few group pictures of all 6 of them. Loving how they came out! They let me try out their 5D Mark III and 24L and I have to say, my money is seriously burning a hole in my pocket now. lol Unfortunately, these were accidentally shot in jpeg as I didn't even think to check that setting before I started shooting, but I was bracketing exposures to save my sky so I had plenty to work with. Just wanted to share!

They could seriously be the spokesfamily for the United Colors of Benneton...gorgeous people inside and out, all of them! These first 2 were taken with my 70-200mm 2.8L II IS

The smiling version (I love this but I've gotta say, they rock that fierce look...haha)

And these were taken with the 24L...

Thanks for looking!

Edited on Aug 01, 2012 at 01:09 AM · View previous versions

Aug 01, 2012 at 12:55 AM
benee
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Gorgeous, Stylish Family of Six

I really like these! I think you bring more of a sense of place in the wider shots, and even the 70-200 shots give us a sense of where you are. Great job using the background to give a sense of place, instead of just gorgeous blur (which is cool too!) and definitely a cool family.

2 and 3 are my faves.

Aug 01, 2012 at 01:05 AM
Pfiltz
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Gorgeous, Stylish Family of Six

Background is too much in focus and distracting.

Aug 01, 2012 at 01:57 AM
J.walker

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Gorgeous, Stylish Family of Six

super as always! I love the background in focus on these bc its a terrific enviroment.There is plenty of seperation to keep it from being distracting imo

Aug 01, 2012 at 02:20 AM
danchez
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Gorgeous, Stylish Family of Six

Pfiltz wrote:
Background is too much in focus and distracting.

what?!? in that gorgeous of a setting, you want to see the background. I don't think it takes away from the family at all.

Aug 02, 2012 at 12:32 AM
neighbourboy
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Gorgeous, Stylish Family of Six

Very nice, Lisa. That last one is my favorite.

--David

Aug 02, 2012 at 12:40 AM
sachman
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Gorgeous, Stylish Family of Six

These are outstanding family portraits, your posing is amazing.. And the location is so cool!

Aug 02, 2012 at 01:34 AM
Lisa_Holloway
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Gorgeous, Stylish Family of Six

Thanks guys, appreciate the kind comments.

Aug 02, 2012 at 02:12 AM
Gary Schmeidle
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Gorgeous, Stylish Family of Six

Well done Lisa, great location!

How did the 5DIII compare to your 5DII especially with the 70-200mm lense?

Thanks for sharing your work!

Aug 02, 2012 at 01:03 PM
davidimdpt
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Gorgeous, Stylish Family of Six

Great job as usual Lisa. I'm loving the 24mm shots. You should definitely add that 24L lens to your lineup as I feel it adds variety to your normal sets.

Aug 02, 2012 at 03:25 PM

Lisa_Holloway
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Gorgeous, Stylish Family of Six

Thanks Gary & David.

Gary, I don't feel like I can make a fair comparison as I accidentally shot these in stinking jpeg. lol I'd really need to spend more time with it to decide. I did like what I saw in the little time I used it though. Still contemplating the upgrade!

David, I do have the 16-35L...do you think maybe I should just try to remember to pull that one out more often or do you think the 24L is a must have?

Aug 02, 2012 at 03:27 PM
Gary Schmeidle
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Gorgeous, Stylish Family of Six

Thanks for the reply Lisa, what were your impressions of the focus system III compared to the 5dII, a big improvement especially if not using the center point?

And you NEED a 35mm L or 24mm L prime! I love my 35mm L. :-)

Aug 02, 2012 at 04:21 PM
davidimdpt
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Gorgeous, Stylish Family of Six

Based on the exif i've seen of your wider shots you tend to stay in the smaller aperture range so the 16-35L might be a better fit if versatility is more important to you. However.....the 24L is definitely sharper and has a better look that is hard to explain. Is it microcontrast? color? I don't know, but I like these 24L shots better than those i've seen previously from you. Although those are great as well I say this because this is the next lens on my to buy list and it seems to fit more my style of family photography better than my 16-35LII.
Personally, I use my 16-35LII mostly for landscape or for creating a dynamic look that works great for more sports type of shots rather than family portraits.
Here's a rare non sports shot that I used for this family session with the 16-35LII

IMG_6391FB by davidimdpt, on Flickr

Aug 02, 2012 at 05:24 PM
Lisa_Holloway
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Gorgeous, Stylish Family of Six

Thanks guys, and that is such a cute shot David! Photographers are so funny when it comes to gear and spending money. :P I've got the reserves to buy some equipment, but at the same time, I'm trying to save for other things (this house being one...haha).

Gary, I did like the focusing system on the 5Diii, that said, I haven't had any issues with the focus on my 5Dii like so many others have, so I hesitate to spend that much money when I'm not having problems.

I really don't use my wide angle very much which is why I hesitate to buy another one, kwim?

Here's a rare family shot I did with the 16-35L...I do like it and maybe I should write on my hand to remember to switch lenses up once in a while. I get so lazy about it.

Aug 02, 2012 at 06:50 PM
Red 90
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Gorgeous, Stylish Family of Six

Lisa, wonderful photos!!! I really like the style technique. Could I ask you how you were able to balance out the lighting to the bright background so nicely. Did you just bracket the shots and manually combined them in photoshop or use a HDR software to do it?

Everything is so beautifully exposed from the face all the way to the awesome backgrounds!!!

Aug 02, 2012 at 07:40 PM
Lisa_Holloway
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Gorgeous, Stylish Family of Six

Thank you! I bracketed the shots and combined them manually in PS. I didn't like the camera's rendition of HDR so I just took the best exposure for the people and the best exposure for the sky and combined them myself.

Aug 02, 2012 at 08:36 PM
david1234
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Gorgeous, Stylish Family of Six

danchez wrote:
what?!? in that gorgeous of a setting, you want to see the background. I don't think it takes away from the family at all.

Love the background

Aug 03, 2012 at 12:29 AM
Lisa_Holloway
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Gorgeous, Stylish Family of Six

david1234 wrote:
Love the background

I've learned to take his 'critique' with a grain of salt. I actually find it pretty amusing now.

Aug 03, 2012 at 12:45 AM
Jim Rickards
• • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Gorgeous, Stylish Family of Six

Another really nice set, Lisa. You must have a nice camera .

The last shot (of the first group. Call it #4) is one where my thoughts on the crop/composition are out of sync with yours.

I see a crop with less at the bottom.
I think the rock feature on our right should be seen more and the "tuft" on the left hand hill should not be seen.

But these are tiny little nits. Press on with your own vision.

Aug 03, 2012 at 12:51 AM
Tom K.
• • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Gorgeous, Stylish Family of Six

Good Lord. These are beautiful pitures.

Aug 03, 2012 at 03:35 AM

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password