Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Archive 2012 · Where Do You Prefer To Buy Your Nikon Gear?

Red Rover
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Where Do You Prefer To Buy Your Nikon Gear?

I am in the market for a D7000 and a couple of lenses. I see three options, 1. buy locally from a quality shop, 2. Buy on the Internet from a reputable dealer of USA waranteed cameras, 3. Buy used, either here on FM Forum or locally.

I would like to support my local shop which is a quality dealer here in Miami. Downside is the 6.5% sales tax I have to pay. I am an experienced non-pro and know what I want and need so I don't need the advice that may be helpful and worth the cost to someone just starting out.

BH, Adorama, and Beach Camera have what I know I want and I don't pay tax or shipping.

Used is OK if I see what I am buying and the price is right, but I like new gear.

IF my local shop can deal a little off MSRP I would prefer to go that way. Everyone seems to have exactly the same price, both on the net and local, so my shop would have to discount 6.5% to match Internet pricing. What is your experience with discounting MSRP at your local shops? Does Nikon have MAP which limits how low a dealer can sell? It seems like the brick and mortar local store is at a disadvantage if they can't offer a discount and still make a profit.

PS I didn't put up an ebay option because I wouldn't spend $2000 on camera equipment there. I didn't add "Other" but if you have another preference, just post it.

If you answer the poll, please post an explanation too.

Edited on Aug 01, 2012 at 12:30 AM · View previous versions

Jul 31, 2012 at 11:22 PM
Steve Perry
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · Where Do You Prefer To Buy Your Nikon Gear?

I stick with B&H and Amazon mostly. We just don't have any good local camera shops anymore in our area - never really did.

Jul 31, 2012 at 11:31 PM
trenchmonkey
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · Where Do You Prefer To Buy Your Nikon Gear?

90% of my gear was bought used (often LNIB) from FM's World Class B&S Forum.
I've had just 3 new vehicles in the last 35 yrs, I'm beginning to see a pattern here...
let someone else take the New 'hit'. I make money with my gear, so I can pay it off
quicker goin' the used route....and usually offer a 'deal' when it's time to move on.

Adorama/Amazon/B&H/Samy's when I absolutely HAVE to have it (28 & 85 f1.8G's for instance)

Jul 31, 2012 at 11:50 PM
Todd Warnke
• • • •
p.1 #4 · Where Do You Prefer To Buy Your Nikon Gear?

I try to buy locally but at least 80% of the time my local dealers are out of whatever it is I want. That forces me to B&H, not that B&H is a bad thing, not at all. Great selection and prices, and the only time I've had to return an item to them they were quick, professional and great to work worth.

Peace,

Todd

Aug 01, 2012 at 12:21 AM
Red Rover
• •
p.1 #5 · Where Do You Prefer To Buy Your Nikon Gear?

Steve Perry wrote:
I stick with B&H and Amazon mostly. We just don't have any good local camera shops anymore in our area - never really did.

I didn't even think of that Steve since I have a first class store a mile from my house. I guess I shouldn't take that for granted.

Aug 01, 2012 at 12:26 AM
soupcxan
• •
p.1 #6 · Where Do You Prefer To Buy Your Nikon Gear?

I used to prefer Amazon and B&H, with the edge toward Amazon since I had prime shipping, and getting your camera toys in 2 days is so much better than waiting for ground. Now that the idiots at Amazon have started charging sales tax in Texas, it'll be B&H all the way.

Aug 01, 2012 at 12:51 AM
jhinkey
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · Where Do You Prefer To Buy Your Nikon Gear?

New: B&H or Adorama or Roberts, Occasionally The Local Pro Shop
Used: KEH, local pro shop, craigslist, and very very occasionally ebay
Refurbed: Cameta

Edited on Aug 01, 2012 at 02:59 AM · View previous versions

Aug 01, 2012 at 01:25 AM
penghai
• • •
p.1 #8 · Where Do You Prefer To Buy Your Nikon Gear?

>"I would like to support my local shop which is a quality dealer here in Miami. "

You are lucky to have a quality local shop to support. This kind old fashioned stores are rare these days. I have 3 local stores here. 2 of them really suck. When you buy things in the stores, they treat you nicely. When you are trying to return/exchange, they treat you like you are trying to cheat and take advantage of them and they think you absolutely know nothing about photographic equipments. I would not buy from them and don't care if they will stay. The third store, though have very good services, focuses on medium format that I cannot afford and am not interested in.

So, definitely B&H and Amazon here.

Eric

Aug 01, 2012 at 01:57 AM
KibblesNbitz
• •
p.1 #9 · Where Do You Prefer To Buy Your Nikon Gear?

B&H is my local camera store Just a 30 minute drive or so from my house in NJ to NYC

Or, UPS ground shipping from BH.com takes only 1 day to reach me, and its at a deeply discounted rate because of the small distance. When I end up having to pay for shipping, it usually around $5 and it arrives the next day

Aug 01, 2012 at 03:38 AM
lankyelectric
• •
p.1 #10 · Where Do You Prefer To Buy Your Nikon Gear?

Roberts Camera as there is not a camera shop close.

Aug 01, 2012 at 04:22 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

davenfl
• • • •
p.1 #11 · Where Do You Prefer To Buy Your Nikon Gear?

I love the big boy stores as well as locals, FM and other forums where you can purchase equipment. Frankly the poll doesn't really make sense because in reality if you love Nikon you always have a problem. That being that demand always exceeds supply and so you have to get it when and where you can. Nikon really pulled a good one this time though on the D800/and 800E by making sure the local guys had a fair shot at the supply chain. We were frankly able to get our new equipment from small shops months ahead of when B&H and Adorama were able to ship. Nikon actually did it right for once.

Dave

Aug 01, 2012 at 05:18 AM
Chestnut
• • •
p.1 #12 · Where Do You Prefer To Buy Your Nikon Gear?

I'd love to support my local stores... but there isn't really any that's reasonable.
At least not to my knowledge.

Aug 01, 2012 at 05:20 AM
DaveyDonut

p.1 #13 · Where Do You Prefer To Buy Your Nikon Gear?

The vast majority of my gear is purchased used... I like the used car analogy; let someone else take the depreciation hit. I've never bought a car nor motorcycle used (though most 1-3years old at 30% off new). I've purchased (half resold) about 30 Nikon lenses over the years and I think I can recall buying 2 new lenses in that time.

Of course the exception for me has been new digital bodies... back when I was shooting film I bought used bodies (F5 2 years old, again 30% off), but I bought the D200 body on release, and I just picked up at D800E body last week. They go for the same price as used right now, so why not? With a D7000, and the fact you can get a used one for a bit of a discount, I'd go the the mint used route myself. Or online if you don't pay sales tax. Sales tax is foreign to me since I live in Oregon (one of two states without tax) so the thought of paying it stinks. I haven't looked into the used market on D7000s... if it's only 10% discount vs new, get new.

David

Aug 01, 2012 at 05:25 AM
beshannon
• •
p.1 #14 · Where Do You Prefer To Buy Your Nikon Gear?

I support my local shop for large purchases as he is price competitive.

For little stuff I order online.

Aug 01, 2012 at 11:23 AM
Marty Bingham
• • • •
p.1 #15 · Where Do You Prefer To Buy Your Nikon Gear?

I always start with Cameta Camera. If they don't have what I need listed I call to make sure before looking further. I have yet to find a better deal on major purchases.

Marty

Aug 01, 2012 at 12:11 PM
ront
• • •
p.1 #16 · Where Do You Prefer To Buy Your Nikon Gear?

I will buy used if I find a good deal, but typically I buy new from OneCall. They are local here in Spokane and are called Huppins. I have been dealing with them for years with both photography gear as well as audio gear. They are great people and do give me some good deals!

Aug 01, 2012 at 01:24 PM
pbraymond
• • •
p.1 #17 · Where Do You Prefer To Buy Your Nikon Gear?

I would do a local store if they provide the service that I want. From a camera store I want to be able to handle something in the store at a minimum (take home would be better but I understand the problem of the store taking a hit on resale), receive knowledgeable advice, and they are not just interested in my money (above integrity). I'd be willing to pay the local sales tax if they met that criteria.

Finding a local store with all three is tough in my area, closest one is about 2.5 hours drive and even then they are iffy on inventory. So I'm usually B&H, I've had the best experience with them so far between Amazon, Adorama, and B&H. Other sources I've also used is Cameta, KEH for used, the B&S board here (awesome place mostly, some exceptions to the rule), and Allen's Camera in PA (have to call, not much in way of a website).

Aug 01, 2012 at 01:50 PM
M635_Guy
• • • •
p.1 #18 · Where Do You Prefer To Buy Your Nikon Gear?

I'm pretty well split across all three, though right now my kit is heavily weighted to the FM B&S since my D300s, 80-200 f/2.8 and Tammy 28-75 f/2.8. all came from there.

I buy locally if I can - We have two very strong local non-retail camera shops.

If I buy on-line, it is from B&H, Adorama and sometimes Amazon.

Aug 01, 2012 at 02:21 PM
jon.oman
• •
p.1 #19 · Where Do You Prefer To Buy Your Nikon Gear?

I normally use B&H. The closest brick and morter shop is about 100 miles from me. The internet is my friend!

Aug 01, 2012 at 02:41 PM
treacle
• •
p.1 #20 · Where Do You Prefer To Buy Your Nikon Gear?

Being in NY metro area B&H and Adorama are my local shops but I also buy from a few smaller local shops in CT on Long Island and NJ and also do online (Amazon, Norman Camera, Midwest Photo) at times. Often with Nikon gear recently it is not just a matter of where to buy , it is where CAN I buy it.

Aug 01, 2012 at 03:34 PM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password