Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · D800 LCD Calibration for $30?

ohsnaphappy
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · D800 LCD Calibration for $30?

Hello, I'm an NPS member and I was told by a fellow member that Nikon is offering an LCD calibration on the D800 to eliminate the yellow/greeen hue. Apparently they only charge $30 and you cannot perform the calibration yourself. Before I send my D800 away, can anyone confirm if this is true?

I called NPS, but the guy who answered hardly knew what an LCD was. His definitive answer was "as a valued NPS member you'r always welcome to send in your camera for a free evaluation." I'm sure he read that right from the prompt on his computer screen, haha!

Jul 31, 2012 at 10:18 PM
RKnecht
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · D800 LCD Calibration for $30?

I would think that since the camera is still under warranty that there should be no charge. Am I missing something?

Jul 31, 2012 at 11:13 PM
ohsnaphappy
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · D800 LCD Calibration for $30?

I was told that Nikon considers the color calibration a matter of preference, not defect, and that's why they charge. This is all second hand info, that's why I was asking if anyone could confirm.

Jul 31, 2012 at 11:22 PM
dimitris77
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · D800 LCD Calibration for $30?

At that price I think they replace it and make a profit too.

Aug 01, 2012 at 12:11 AM
Keith B.
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · D800 LCD Calibration for $30?

If get you a good computer monitor, you won't need the LCD color to be "perfect", which it isn't anyway.

Aug 01, 2012 at 07:23 AM
NathanHamler
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · D800 LCD Calibration for $30?

Yeah why would you judge color on a 3" screen while shooting?? Shoot raw and do that in post...

Aug 01, 2012 at 01:18 PM
ohsnaphappy
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · D800 LCD Calibration for $30?

Thank you for the comments.

I have never seen a white wedding dress on my D800's LCD. They're always yellow or green. I would be more than happy to spend $30 to have Nikon correct this.

Aug 01, 2012 at 03:35 PM
James R
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · D800 LCD Calibration for $30?

ohsnaphappy wrote:
Thank you for the comments.

I have never seen a white wedding dress on my D800's LCD. They're always yellow or green. I would be more than happy to spend $30 to have Nikon correct this.

WOW. I've heard about this LCD bias, but never heard it described in such real terms before. That would drive me crazy.

Aug 01, 2012 at 03:49 PM
wellsjt
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · D800 LCD Calibration for $30?

ohsnaphappy wrote:
I have never seen a white wedding dress on my D800's LCD. They're always yellow or green.

What color space setting do you have set in your camera? Have you tried the other setting to see if it makes a difference? This setting only affects in camera JPGs and not RAWs of course, but even if you shoot RAW only the color space setting will affect what is displayed on the camera LCD. It probably won't help, but I'm curious...

Aug 01, 2012 at 04:07 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

powderific

p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · D800 LCD Calibration for $30?

Before paying $30 I'd take some shots, check white balance and color on the computer, and then try to tune the LCD color in camera to make those shots look right. It has color adjustments built into the menus somewhere and I'd think you'd be able to get close enough to make it not annoying.

edit: the picture style setting thing is a good point too. I have a setting for shooting video that maximized dynamic range and when I forget to switch it back to a stills setting everything looks reeeeally flat in camera.

Aug 01, 2012 at 04:43 PM
Keith B.
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · D800 LCD Calibration for $30?

ohsnaphappy wrote:

I admit that if the shot was made with the camera white balance setting matching the color of the light, and a wedding dress was rendered blatantly green, I'd want Nikon to do something about it.

Aug 01, 2012 at 04:54 PM
ohsnaphappy
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · D800 LCD Calibration for $30?

wellsjt wrote:
What color space setting do you have set in your camera? Have you tried the other setting to see if it makes a difference? This setting only affects in camera JPGs and not RAWs of course, but even if you shoot RAW only the color space setting will affect what is displayed on the camera LCD. It probably won't help, but I'm curious...

This was a good suggestion. I usually shoot in SRGB. Tried out RGB just now and it helped, but I lost my skin tones. RGB gave a cooler more desaturated look. Helped with the whites for sure But I'd prefer to have accurate skin tones, so I'm sticking with SRGB.

I realize this is all trivial. The images look fine in LR obviously.

Aug 01, 2012 at 06:30 PM
ohsnaphappy
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · D800 LCD Calibration for $30?

powderific wrote:
Before paying $30 I'd take some shots, check white balance and color on the computer, and then try to tune the LCD color in camera to make those shots look right. It has color adjustments built into the menus somewhere and I'd think you'd be able to get close enough to make it not annoying.

edit: the picture style setting thing is a good point too. I have a setting for shooting video that maximized dynamic range and when I forget to switch it back to a stills setting everything looks reeeeally flat in camera.

It just dawned on me to adjust the white balance on the camera. Certainly helps with the display. Things will be cooler in LR/PS but that's easy enough to fix. I still haven't found a away to adjust the color of the screen and leave the WB settings alone.

Aug 01, 2012 at 06:33 PM
TSY87
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · D800 LCD Calibration for $30?

Keith B. wrote:
I admit that if the shot was made with the camera white balance setting matching the color of the light, and a wedding dress was rendered blatantly green, I'd want Nikon to do something about it.

If it were that blantantly wrong, then I would imagine that would be a warranty issue. From the reports I have seen, it is very minor, though still annoying.

IMHO, the LCD lies so I dont really trust it for much anyway.

Aug 01, 2012 at 07:29 PM
RRRoger
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · D800 LCD Calibration for $30?

Yup! just checked and my LCD must be defective.
White is white not yellow or green.
They must have messed up and got it right for mine.
I kinda like it like it is so I will leave it alone.

Don't call NPS, call Nikon Service 1-800-6678

Aug 01, 2012 at 07:32 PM
LivLif
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · D800 LCD Calibration for $30?

RRRoger wrote:
Yup! just checked and my LCD must be defective.
White is white not yellow or green.
They must have messed up and got it right for mine.
I kinda like it like it is so I will leave it alone.

Don't call NPS, call Nikon Service 1-800-6678

White is white on my D800 and D4. Guess mine must be defective too.

Aug 01, 2012 at 07:44 PM
honorerdieu
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · D800 LCD Calibration for $30?

My D800 LCD shows everything black and white but in LR everything is back to normal.

Aug 01, 2012 at 07:45 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password