Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Bryan Carnathan at TDP just posted his EOS-1DX review

Fred Miranda
Admin
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · Bryan Carnathan at TDP just posted his EOS-1DX review

Bryan at The-Digital-Picture.com posted a very informative review on the new Canon EOS 1D-X SLR.

Here is an excerpt from his review:
"At Canon EOS 1D X review time, I'm planning to make the 5D III and 1D X both part of my kit.
The 1D X is all about speed, precision, durability - and of course, image quality. I find the Canon EOS 1D X to be a more revolutionary camera upgrade than I have seen for a while. As such, the 1D X is impossible to find at review time - and I suspect it will remain so for many months to come.
I've said it before and I mean it no less now - there is not much better than getting a significant upgrade to your favorite and most-used piece of kit."

Read the entire review

Jul 31, 2012 at 07:47 PM
mohamed alfari
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · Bryan Carnathan at TDP just posted his EOS-1DX review

Thank you Fred for sharing the site. This kind of review that make you decide to buy when you are hesitant, and from experience I find his reviews to be accurate and useful. still waiting for Peter's review since he doesnt seem impressed with the camera

Jul 31, 2012 at 08:03 PM
snapsy
• • • •
p.1 #3 · Bryan Carnathan at TDP just posted his EOS-1DX review

Bryan's reviews are always great. One thing I would note regarding the High ISO comparisons with the 5DM3 is that the 1DX exposes 1/3 stop darker than the 5DM3 at the same nominal ISO. I've seen this in other samples and it's evident in Bryan's cloth sample as well. This means to compare noise fairly between the two cameras you should use an ISO 1/3 stop higher on the 1DX than the 5DM3.

Jul 31, 2012 at 08:06 PM
Jefferson
• • • •
p.1 #4 · Bryan Carnathan at TDP just posted his EOS-1DX review

I see it has the much maligned 50 f/1.2L attached

Jefferson

Jul 31, 2012 at 08:15 PM
cineski
• • • •
p.1 #5 · Bryan Carnathan at TDP just posted his EOS-1DX review

5D3 images look much crisper at all ISO's.

Jul 31, 2012 at 08:30 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Ralph Conway
• • • •
p.1 #6 · Bryan Carnathan at TDP just posted his EOS-1DX review

thank you for this link, Fred.

Jul 31, 2012 at 08:43 PM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · Bryan Carnathan at TDP just posted his EOS-1DX review

mohamed alfari wrote:
Thank you Fred for sharing the site. This kind of review that make you decide to buy when you are hesitant, and from experience I find his reviews to be accurate and useful. still waiting for Peter's review since he doesnt seem impressed with the camera

Mohamed, please do not wait for my review because that will be a while.
I will say that 1DX has some good improvements over 1DMkIIN and 1DsMkII, the two cameras I am somewhat familiar with. Am I impressed with 1DX ? No, I am not $7k impressed.
However, I am not an impressionable type to start with.

I also think instead of getting 1DX, a typical photographer could invest $7k into things that would give a much higher return photographically, such as ,,,,,

* 500 f/4 MkI lens if you shoot wildlife.
* 400 f/2.8 IS MkI lens if you shoot sports or wildlife
* 5DMkIII + 300 f/2.8 IS MkI
etc.....

However, if someone has it all already, then what the heck, might as well get the "latest and gratest" too. 1DX makes a good conversation piece and they all like to listen to 12 FPS rate clicking away.

Jul 31, 2012 at 09:47 PM
harrygilbert
• • •
p.1 #8 · Bryan Carnathan at TDP just posted his EOS-1DX review

If one also purchases the latest "II" series of lenses to maximize the reported superior AF functionality that the 1DX will provide, that would entail a very hefty outlay indeed. Right now, I can only dream.

Jul 31, 2012 at 09:59 PM
mohamed alfari
• • •
p.1 #9 · Bryan Carnathan at TDP just posted his EOS-1DX review

PetKal wrote:
Mohamed, please do not wait for my review because that will be a while.
I will say that 1DX has some good improvements over 1DMkIIN and 1DsMkII, the two cameras I am somewhat familiar with. Am I impressed with 1DX ? No, I am not $7k impressed.
However, I am not an impressionable type to start with.

I also think instead of getting 1DX, a typical photographer could invest $7k into things that would give a much higher return photographically, such as ,,,,,

* 500 f/4 MkI lens if you shoot wildlife.
* 400 f/2.8 IS MkI lens if you
...Show more

Peter thanks for the quick review. I cant deny the gear addiction part, however things I miss moving from 1DIV to 5D3 is the huge buffer to play with, I missed some peak action in more than occasion. extra FPS would help too. Also what is encouraging too is many including this review mention that the AF speed is the best, some also mentioned improve speed with extension + a lens like 500f4 . that combo which I use the most.
and of course the most important thing is 12 FPS sound
btw I can't agree more that getting a lens is an investment, taking your advise to buy 500f4IS long time ago and now it increased in price significantly. cant say that about any camera.

Jul 31, 2012 at 10:17 PM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · Bryan Carnathan at TDP just posted his EOS-1DX review

Mohamed, I can't compare 1DX to 1DMkIV because I've never owned the latter camera. I suspect within a year or so the 1DMkIV price should start dropping to well under $3,000 at which time I expect the older camera to become a very cost effective alternative to 1DX for action photography.

BTW, I have set my 1DX to 5 FPS and 10 FPS drive speeds. 5FPS is my normal rate which I use for 90% of all shots. Here and there I've fired at 10 FPS rate. Haven't really had a need to test or to use 12 FPS yet.

Aug 01, 2012 at 12:23 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password