Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2012 · 5DII - 5DIII L-bracket

matt4626
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · 5DII - 5DIII L-bracket

Any chance my Kirk L-bracket for the 5DII will fit a new 5DIII?

Jul 31, 2012 at 06:31 PM
nelvayut
• •
p.1 #2 · 5DII - 5DIII L-bracket

nope.
I bought one for my 5D3 because the one on 5D2 doesn't fit.

Jul 31, 2012 at 07:04 PM
Don Clary
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · 5DII - 5DIII L-bracket

Also the Really Right Stuff 5D1 bracket will not fit 5DII, and 5DII bracket will not fit 5DIII. This is called planned obsolescence, and keeps our economy vibrant and our work force employed.

After riding this for 3 cycles, I now have a universal, non L bracket to serve me from here forward.

Jul 31, 2012 at 07:12 PM
abqnmusa
• • • •
p.1 #4 · 5DII - 5DIII L-bracket

use a ball head on tripod so have not seen need for L bracket

Jul 31, 2012 at 07:29 PM
Don Clary
• • • •
p.1 #5 · 5DII - 5DIII L-bracket

Might cause parallax (very close object shifting) when stitching, since since lens entrance pupil is not at center of rotation.

Jul 31, 2012 at 07:44 PM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · 5DII - 5DIII L-bracket

Don Clary wrote:
Also the Really Right Stuff 5D1 bracket will not fit 5DII, and 5DII bracket will not fit 5DIII. This is called planned obsolescence, and keeps our economy vibrant and our work force employed.

After riding this for 3 cycles, I now have a universal, non L bracket to serve me from here forward.

But the same RRS L-bracket fits my 1D3, 1D4 and 1Ds3

Jul 31, 2012 at 08:06 PM
Don Clary
• • • •
p.1 #7 · 5DII - 5DIII L-bracket

Yes, but 1D gets concierge service, 5Ds don't. Plus, 5Ds can enter only from the servant's entrance.

Jul 31, 2012 at 08:15 PM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · 5DII - 5DIII L-bracket

abqnmusa wrote:
use a ball head on tripod so have not seen need for L bracket

what other head would you use an L bracket on?
thought the reason for an L bracket was the ease and speed of changng you orientation from Land to Port without laying the ball over on its side (thus decentering the camera)

Jul 31, 2012 at 08:17 PM
abqnmusa
• • • •
p.1 #9 · 5DII - 5DIII L-bracket

The ball head allows me to easily turn the camera in horizontal or vertical position
that is all I need
just do not see any use for a L bracket with that setup

Aug 01, 2012 at 01:13 PM
Dennis M 1064
• •
p.1 #10 · 5DII - 5DIII L-bracket

The idea is to be able to keep the center of mass on the center of the tripod. By flopping the ball over, you have shifted everything to the side of the tripod head. With heavier lenses, you increase instability.

Also, if you shoot panoramas you need to keep your camera centered on a point, not swinging around a point.

On L brackets, at least with RRS, be sure to keep in mind with or without battery grip. Also not interchangeable.

Aug 01, 2012 at 02:59 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

abqnmusa
• • • •
p.1 #11 · 5DII - 5DIII L-bracket

Thanks for that explanation Dennis. I can see how the L plate would be useful.

off to the RRS website to check out L brackets

Aug 01, 2012 at 03:10 PM
Don Clary
• • • •
p.1 #12 · 5DII - 5DIII L-bracket

The ProMedia universal plate

http://store.promediagear.com/Universal-Plate-3inch-Long_p_2.html

I bought is thinner than the RRS L plate for my 5DII. Thinner means the lens entrance pupil is somewhat closer to the lens axis of rotation.

So to test if a non-L plate causes parallax problems in stitching: I mounted a 50 f1.4 on my 5DII, and flopped the ball head over for portrait orientation stitching. I focused on a house about 100' away, and placed a near object (vertical music stand) about 20' away. The stand was placed on one side, in the area where the two picture stitch overlap would occur. I stitch with light weight, shorter focal lens primes.

The result was no parallax problems. So the one concern I had with switching from L to flat plates is gone.

Aug 01, 2012 at 03:56 PM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · 5DII - 5DIII L-bracket

Canon changed the location of the remote cable port on the 5D III, the bastards and so rendered the 5D II L plate useless.

Aug 02, 2012 at 12:10 AM
RobDickinson
• • • •
p.1 #14 · 5DII - 5DIII L-bracket

I picked up a RRS l bracket for my 5d2, love it, single best piece of gear I think I have bought.

Aug 02, 2012 at 12:42 AM
Dennis M 1064
• •
p.1 #15 · 5DII - 5DIII L-bracket

Pixel Perfect wrote:
Canon changed the location of the remote cable port on the 5D III, the bastards and so rendered the 5D II L plate useless.

You could probably move that bracket on Buy/Sell pretty easily. That would give you some spare change for a 5DIII bracket. It is annoying though, that a small change renders anther product obsolete so easily. I get it.

Aug 02, 2012 at 11:16 AM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • •
p.1 #16 · 5DII - 5DIII L-bracket

Dennis M 1064 wrote:
You could probably move that bracket on Buy/Sell pretty easily. That would give you some spare change for a 5DIII bracket. It is annoying though, that a small change renders anther product obsolete so easily. I get it.

I intend to sell my 5D II and L bracket, in fact they will be going on the B&S board this weekend if not tonight, but I would have preferred to keep the L bracket as I bought it second hand to start with to save a pretty penny. RRS and Kirk brackets are great but they aren't worth the money they ask IMO. Aluminium is hardly an exotic material.

Aug 02, 2012 at 10:42 PM
jeev
• • •
p.1 #17 · 5DII - 5DIII L-bracket

I tried 5DII RRS L-Plate with cushioning at the bottom and pushing all the way out on 5d3, remote cable port is still accessible little tight but still workable..
Pixel Perfect wrote:

Aug 03, 2012 at 12:40 AM
thedutt
• • • •
p.1 #18 · 5DII - 5DIII L-bracket

if you are super keen, a little elbow greese and dremel tool does the trick ;-) Not worth the effort if you use it regularly, but for my vacation use it has worked out ok.

Aug 04, 2012 at 12:55 AM
panicatnabisco
• •
p.1 #19 · 5DII - 5DIII L-bracket

I'd wouldnt even think about ghetto-rigging a support system just to cheap out on L-plates

Aug 04, 2012 at 02:24 AM
abqnmusa
• • • •
p.1 #20 · 5DII - 5DIII L-bracket

I picked up the RRS L-bracket for the 5D III.

very nice
-- well made & not too heavy when shooting off tripod
-- camera strap mounts to camera and not the L-bracket
-- port access works for cables with L-bracket
-- big help for camera/tripod balance when shooting vertical

Aug 06, 2012 at 07:57 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password