Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2012 · Stupid question alert

CanonGolfGuy
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Stupid question alert

So my D800 got shipped out today after ordering it last night, and as you can tell by my name I'm a Canon convert. I previously used a BlackRapid RS-4 with my Canon, are these okay to use with Nikon? Any other tips that would help make the switch easier would be appreciated.

Jul 31, 2012 at 05:14 PM
DontShoot
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Stupid question alert

Yes, that tripod hole diameter is pretty standard across many brands.

Jul 31, 2012 at 05:51 PM
CanonGolfGuy
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Stupid question alert

DontShoot wrote:
Yes, that tripod hole diameter is pretty standard across many brands.

Sorry, I should have been a bit more clear. I meant from a structural standpoint will the body be able to handle hanging upside down from the tripod connector?

Jul 31, 2012 at 06:03 PM
Jim Casteel
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Stupid question alert

Yes, I used mine all the time. When I had my 70-200 2.8 connected I generally connected the Black Rapid to the lens. Anything smaller than that the D800/D700/D300/D200/Etc is completely capable of handling.

Jul 31, 2012 at 06:13 PM
beshannon
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Stupid question alert

CanonGolfGuy wrote:
Sorry, I should have been a bit more clear. I meant from a structural standpoint will the body be able to handle hanging upside down from the tripod connector?

Yes

I use my Blackrapid RS5 on my D700 and D800 with the 24-70 lens and have never had an issue

Jul 31, 2012 at 06:17 PM
CanonGolfGuy
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Stupid question alert

Thanks! I didn't think it would be a problem, but figured I had better verify before dangling that money at my hip.

The manual on this thing sure is lengthy. I have a feeling it will take a bit of time to get used to the switch.

Jul 31, 2012 at 06:20 PM
VinnieJ
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Stupid question alert

CanonGolfGuy wrote:
Thanks! I didn't think it would be a problem, but figured I had better verify before dangling that money at my hip.

The manual on this thing sure is lengthy. I have a feeling it will take a bit of time to get used to the switch.

That's half the fun. Enjoy!

Jul 31, 2012 at 07:13 PM
M635_Guy
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Stupid question alert

Are you using a tripod with QR plates (Arca-Swiss or Manfrotto)?

Aug 02, 2012 at 01:20 PM
CanonGolfGuy
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Stupid question alert

M635_Guy wrote:
Are you using a tripod with QR plates (Arca-Swiss or Manfrotto)?

Manfrotto, yes

Aug 02, 2012 at 01:48 PM
M635_Guy
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Stupid question alert

CanonGolfGuy wrote:
Manfrotto, yes

You're probably aware, but BR makes a FastenR that will allow you to use the strap and your plate.

The Arca-Swiss system gives you much better L-bracket options and feet for long lenses - I find that putting the FastenR into a small 1" clamp (with a little loctite) makes the whole system work bettter, and I feel like it spreads the force a little more broadly as well as keeps me from constantly screwing/unscrewing the FastenR.

Anyway - welcome to the Dark Side!

Aug 02, 2012 at 03:01 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

CanonGolfGuy
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Stupid question alert

I have the FastenR already.

Thanks for the tip on the Arca-Swiss system. I've considered going to one of those, but I don't shoot in the portrait orientation on the tripod much so I don't have much use for the L-bracket.

Thanks! Can't wait to play around with the large files and see what the camera can do.

Aug 02, 2012 at 03:26 PM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Stupid question alert

I know OP asked the question but this is all rather humorous when you consider this guy is switching systems. There are a few other matters that will likely demand attention like building a new kit of lenses...

Congratulations on your new camera and if you have further questions you'll find folks on this forum very helpful. Have fun!

Aug 02, 2012 at 04:21 PM
CanonGolfGuy
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Stupid question alert

CGrindahl wrote:
I know OP asked the question but this is all rather humorous when you consider this guy is switching systems. There are a few other matters that will likely demand attention like building a new kit of lenses...

Congratulations on your new camera and if you have further questions you'll find folks on this forum very helpful. Have fun!

I said stupid question alert.

I've opted to only get a 50mm prime initially until I get a better feel for the system. That was my most used lens with Canon, so I figured I would start there then add some other lenses once I get a good feel for the system.

Aug 02, 2012 at 04:25 PM
James R
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Stupid question alert

I've dangled a D3, D3s, and D800e from the same strap over the last 4 yrs, with no problems.

Aug 02, 2012 at 04:26 PM
form
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Stupid question alert

Actually the transition from 5d2 to D800 is very easy, once you become familiar with where everything is the D800 has a very easy to handle interface with all the buttons.

Plus, the AF system is CONSISTENT.

Aug 02, 2012 at 05:01 PM
CanonGolfGuy
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Stupid question alert

form wrote:
Actually the transition from 5d2 to D800 is very easy, once you become familiar with where everything is the D800 has a very easy to handle interface with all the buttons.

Well that's encouraging to hear.

That's one of the reasons I switched. I wanted the better AF performance in addition to the other things the D800 offers.

Aug 02, 2012 at 05:30 PM
form
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Stupid question alert

Like a good Auto ISO?

Like usable ISO12800?

Like...active-point spot metering?

Aug 02, 2012 at 06:24 PM
runamuck
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Stupid question alert

STOOPID ANSWER ALERT!

Nikons cannot be used upside down. However, they may be safely operated downside up!

Sorry, I tried to resist, and just couldn't.

Aug 02, 2012 at 06:44 PM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Stupid question alert

form wrote:

Some folks with the D800 would beg to differ on the AF consistency, at least when it comes to points on the left... Hopefully our recent convert will not have such problems but they are certainly disturbing...

Aug 02, 2012 at 06:47 PM
form
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Stupid question alert

BTW the DK-17M or whatever it's called is nice...viewfinder is definitely quite a bit bigger now than the 5d2, whereas it was about the same size before.

Aug 02, 2012 at 07:01 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password