Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Head shot

jayk
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Head shot

Hello friends,

Long time no chat!

Over the past week I went out to Colorado to shoot a few clients as well as few model clients. I HATE flying (Yes, I have control issues) so I drove the 15 hours...with the wife...and four kids. Only came close to killing two of them three times, but we all made it there and back safely.

Being we were driving, I had to pack light so I brought strobes, softbox and reflector. I figured anything else I needed I could rent while there. After getting there, I decided I refuse to rent anything and shoot with what I had. This photo is shot with a Larson 4x6 softbox and Hensel integra 500.

I placed the reflector across the arm of the chair and balanced it with my knee. Softbox is camera right and up high. Hit the blog if you really want to see the setup photo.

Cheers!

Jul 31, 2012 at 04:57 PM
jerbear00
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Head shot

Fantastic as always! Thanks for sharing Jay

Jul 31, 2012 at 05:05 PM
benee
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Head shot

the lighting looks really good! This is a tricky subject, and open to personal interpretatino, but I really think she needs some airbrushing/skin smoothing. Nothing crazy (I hate the plastic skin look), but just enough to tame the goosebump textures going on.

Jul 31, 2012 at 05:20 PM
davenfl
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Head shot

Beautiful young lady and a good shot but I have to agree with a tad of skin PP, the thousand little bumps doesn't work.

Dave

Jul 31, 2012 at 05:25 PM
jayk
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Head shot

Thanks all.

I thought about running Imagenomic Portraiture on it to smooth some of the skin but decided against it. I like the natural look and if you were to see her in real life, this is how she'd look. I totally understand we all have different tastes, know that I struggle with the choice.

Jul 31, 2012 at 05:33 PM
benee
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Head shot

^^^ I was wondering, though, if the bumps might be exagerrated by sharpening? Really, just a little bit of smoothing help, or even just masking out any sharpening you applied.

Jul 31, 2012 at 05:35 PM
jayk
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Head shot

I very well may have over sharpened this.

I'm using PS CS6 for the first time and admit I don't know the settings like I do cs 5. I did sharpen it then resized for web which I don't know if 6 has bicubic sharpening when resizing.

Jul 31, 2012 at 06:19 PM
jayk
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Head shot

Aw what the hell,

Might as well look for the image and see.

Here's the image with its retouch. I didn't crop it so this is how it is, not sure if it being longer will play a part in the sharpening but meh, we'll see.

Jul 31, 2012 at 06:20 PM

benee
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Head shot

^^^ For me, this is much better. It still looks very natural and basically unretouched, but without the seemingly exagerrated bumpy skin. Now just selectively sharpen her eyes and your golden!

Jul 31, 2012 at 06:57 PM
jayk
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Head shot

After looking at the two I do like the second one better but think it could be sharpened overall. I'm pretty much going to leave it as is as I like both, but I see where ya'll coming from.

Cheers!

Jul 31, 2012 at 07:01 PM
gowhow
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Head shot

great shot. I am with the others on sharpening though. Having the benefit of see both shots, the skin seems over sharpened in the first but I agree that the second one looks a bit flatter overall. I'm rubbish with Photoshop but could you simply "unsharpen" the skin areas on the first one for the best of both?

Jul 31, 2012 at 07:53 PM
jayk
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Head shot

Hello friend,

Sure, I can do selective sharpen but I'm done with the image. It prints fine and would look good in most places and that's what I want.

Jul 31, 2012 at 09:41 PM
ksteed

p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Head shot

IMHO ...... I like the photo! pretty girl..... but I think a better make up session would make this image much stronger. Just my 2 cents, keep the change

Jul 31, 2012 at 10:03 PM
jayk
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Head shot

ksteed wrote:
Just my 2 cents, keep the change

"What can I get with this?"

Every time I go to a corner store, I think of myself as a child asking that question. Then standing looking at all the amazing things you can get with a penny. Today, I look for the penny candy for my kids only to find out it's 35cents.

Jul 31, 2012 at 10:27 PM
gowhow
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Head shot

jayk wrote:
Hello friend,

Sure, I can do selective sharpen but I'm done with the image. It prints fine and would look good in most places and that's what I want.

Cool. This is what is important. Printing always brings out the best. Screen displays vary so much.

Jul 31, 2012 at 11:21 PM

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password