Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2012 · What CF Card For 1DX

ragebot
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · What CF Card For 1DX

I am still sorting out how to best use my 1dx

So far the only real issue seems to be with the CF cards. I had been using four 32GB 266X Kingston ultimate 266x cf cards in my 1d4 with no issues. The first time I used the 1dx I had to return to my computer and reformat the cards after I captured two images and on the third try after switching from ME to AD I got an error telling me to replace the CF card.

I put a CF card in my 7d (inside a Natuicam housing getting ready for a Mexico dive trip) and the CF card worked fine. When I put the card in the 1dx to play around with PW for a flash test same thing. Two shots OK at 1/250 but when I bumped up to 1/4000 got the card read error. Switched the cards and no problem at 1/4000 with the PW and 580.

I am not a CF wizard but have never had issues with cards in my 20d, xti, 7d, 1d2, or 1d4, but the 1dx has produce more card reading errors than all these bodies combined.

Any advice welcome.

Jul 31, 2012 at 04:37 PM
AmIgone
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · What CF Card For 1DX

Well first off, sorry youíre having problems trying to use your brand new camera. I donít have any real good answers for you but the speed at which a shot is taken should have NO effect on the transfer to the card. I could be wrong but the way data is transferred, I donít think so. Have you tried all 4 cards? Do you have anyone close that you could try their cards? Are you loading up both CF slots? I would try one card at a time, in each slot. I would also leave the PW off, no need to introduce anything else into the equation. Iím using a Sandisk 16GB Extreme and a Transcend 16GB 400x in mine without any problems. Iíve had problems with CF cards over the years and found Sandisk & Transcend to be reliable for me, so thatís what I use.

Jul 31, 2012 at 05:15 PM
tonywong88
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · What CF Card For 1DX

I think everyone thinks the Lexar 1000x are the best performers for the 1Dx at the moment. I'm just getting by with my Transcend 400x and Photofast 533x at the moment, I haven't found any issues with them yet (except they aren't as fast as the Lexar 1000x).

Jul 31, 2012 at 05:17 PM
the888account
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · What CF Card For 1DX

Very odd - cant think of any "IT" data type issue that should cause this based on shutter speed - only perhaps if your taking a number of quick exposures.

Can you continue taking shots with the 1dx at 1/250 without issue ? ie. its just a 1/4000 issue...

If so, I guess there could be a difference in the way the camera handles the file. (variable transfer speed dependant on shutter speed, which is running over the buffer 'grab' capability of the card).....thats a wild guess.

Jul 31, 2012 at 05:21 PM
ragebot
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · What CF Card For 1DX

Since the 1dx is so new I don't have answers to some of these questions.

Currently I am more concerned with getting ready for a dive trip to Mexico than sorting out CF issues with the 1dx.

The thing is the two times I have gone shooting with the 1dx it has worked just fine. But when I start testing by changing things around I seem to get card reading errors.

Once I reformat the card on my PC and then reformat it in the 1dx things work fine again.

But I do notice the red light seems to stay on much longer when I insert a card in the 1dx than when I insert it into the 1d4, or my other bodies.

I am sorta wondering if the 1dx does something different when you insert a card than when you insert a card in other Canon bodies. Normally there is the sensor cleaning message for a second or two, then the red light comes on briefly in my other cameras, but with the 1dx the red light stays on longer than the sensor cleaning message.

Jul 31, 2012 at 05:54 PM
ragebot
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · What CF Card For 1DX

Short update.

I am spending most of my time upgrading my underwater imaging skills using a Nauticam housing for my 7d.

It seems like if I format a CF card in a non 1dx body and try to use that card in the 1dx I need to format the card on a PC and then format the card on the 1dx to avoid problems. When I do this before I use that CF card in a non 1dx body I have to do the same thing.

Is anyone switching CF cards between 1dx bodies and non 1dx bodies and experiencing problems, or not experiencing problems.

Also does anyone know if the way Canon formats CF cards in camera has changed with the introduction of the 1dx.

I am still happy with the 1dx IQ wise, but so far it seems I have to spend more effort keeping track of my CF cards than I use to.

Aug 02, 2012 at 05:32 PM
WebDog
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · What CF Card For 1DX

I'd say the 1000x Lexar is the one to get... And they have a sale too:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/buy/Lexar/Ntt/CompactFlash+Memory+Card+Professional+1000x/N/0/kbid/3296

Aug 02, 2012 at 06:20 PM
Greggbhill
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · What CF Card For 1DX

they are also on sale at Adorama - just picked up a 1000X 32GB for $129.95

Aug 02, 2012 at 07:52 PM
Roland W
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · What CF Card For 1DX

Get a good quality and fast UDMA card to play with and use, and see if your issues go away. Could be a camera problem, but it is more likely a card issue. I have not had and problems of any kind with my 1DX, but I only have about 3000 shots on it so far. All my cards are Sandisk UDMA of various speeds, and no issues at all.

Aug 02, 2012 at 08:37 PM
photomax

p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · What CF Card For 1DX

I use Lexar 128 G 1000X CF cards in both my 5D III and 1DX with nor issues whatsoever.

Aug 02, 2012 at 08:50 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Deborah Kolt
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · What CF Card For 1DX

I am using San Disk Extreme Pros in the 1Dx, and have encountered no problems. However, I had what may be a variation of your issue with the 5D3. I used a new San Disk Extreme Pro in the 5Diii. It worked great. Then I tried to use the same card in a 1D4, and upon insertion got an error message telling me to use another card. The 1D4 would not format it. Put it back in the 5D3 and it formats and works perfectly.

So far I haven't bothered to try formatting it on the computer, I've just left dedicated to the 5d3. Looks like maybe some kind of backwards compatibility problem once the media have been used in the newer model? Strange. I'll try the cards used in the 1Dx in a 1DIV and see if a similar issue arises.

Update: The card in the 5Diii is a San Disk Extreme Pro SD card. It works fine in the 5D3, but neither the 1D4s nor an old 1D3 can format it. They recognize the card and see it as unformatted (?), but formatting it fails. The same brand and size CF cards used in the 1Dx are accepted in the 1D4 and 1D3, format fine and the cameras will write to them.

Aug 03, 2012 at 12:02 AM
stanj
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · What CF Card For 1DX

Another vote for the Lexar 1000x, works like a charm and is the currently fastest card on the market. Plus it's currently on sale, see Fred's post.

Aug 04, 2012 at 08:14 AM
Will Patterson
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · What CF Card For 1DX

I use a 32GB SanDisk Extreme Pro in my 1DX and it has yet to slow it down. It's amazing to me to see how I can fill up the buffer of the camera, then watch how fast it finishes dumping them all to the card. It's only a few seconds, and that is a LOT of data. For that reason alone I'm surprised the battery lasts as long as it does, it takes a lot of processing power to do that that quickly.

Aug 04, 2012 at 01:36 PM
Dennis M 1064
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · What CF Card For 1DX

I just put a set of Lexars in my new 5D3. A 1000x 16GB UDMA7 and a 600x 16gb SDHC. So far so good. Haven't shot much yet, but also haven't had any issues. B&H got them right out. Good price as well. I figure that will get me started. They ship quickly as well.

Aug 04, 2012 at 01:45 PM
Danpbphoto
• • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · What CF Card For 1DX

I am using a Type 2 Hoodman 675x and have a new Lexar 1000x on order. Have not had any issues with CF cards in my 2 week old 1Dx.
Using Sandisk's in my 5D3 with no problems.
Dan

Aug 04, 2012 at 02:07 PM
Will Patterson
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · What CF Card For 1DX

Oh and for what it's worth, I am reading some pretty bad reviews on amazon about the Lexar compared to the SanDisk. A few reports of them crashing, erroring out etc after some use.

Aug 04, 2012 at 02:37 PM
Snoopy Lane

p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · What CF Card For 1DX

People are discussing CF brands, but it seems to me that you pointed out the problem in your posts: You pointed out that it doesn't work when you format on the PC. And you later pointed out that it works when you format in the 1Dx. Problem solved? Conventional wisdom, which I think is frequently more urban legend than actual wisdom, is to always format the card in the camera.

There might be some glitch the hardware on your PC: trying a different cable and reader would help narrow that down. And just once in a blue moon you can sometimes get different interpretations of what the drive format is supposed to be, which can lead to incompatibilities (and urban legends). If there really is a camera issue here then likely it'll get fixed in a future firmware update to the 1Dx.

Don't let that stop you from getting a better card. But if you have the same problems once the new cards arrive, see above.

And even though it shouldn't matter where I format, I still format cards in-camera, but for these reasons: formatting in camera allows me to be sloppy in removing the card from the computer: I don't need to go through the eject process, just yank it. And I find it faster to access the Format option on the camera than on the PC.

Aug 04, 2012 at 03:31 PM
surf monkey
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · What CF Card For 1DX

My suggestion is to have cards specific to each camera. Why switch cards from one camera to another. This way you avoid any potential problems. I have never switched a card from one camera to another.

In regards to CF card choices, I'm surprised that a 1dx owner would use such slow memory cards. You should upgrade to at least the newer UDMA Transcend 400x cards. Lars shows test results here: http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1137133
The 32gb cards are $52 on Amazon.
Of course the Lexar 1000x cards are the top dog, but are quite pricey.

Just for increased transfer speed (regardless of the increased buffer clearing) makes the Transcends worth the upgrade.

Aug 04, 2012 at 06:10 PM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · What CF Card For 1DX

surf monkey wrote:
My suggestion is to have cards specific to each camera. Why switch cards from one camera to another. This way you avoid any potential problems. I have never switched a card from one camera to another.

In regards to CF card choices, I'm surprised that a 1dx owner would use such slow memory cards. You should upgrade to at least the newer UDMA Transcend 400x cards. Lars shows test results here: http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1137133
The 32gb cards are $52 on Amazon.
Of course the Lexar 1000x cards are the top dog, but are quite pricey.

Just for increased transfer speed (regardless of the increased buffer
...Show more

see fred's link, the 1000x lexar are like half off right now!

(i've switched cards between cameras all the time, for 7 years, and never had an issue)

Aug 04, 2012 at 09:44 PM
satoru
• •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · What CF Card For 1DX

Lexar 1000x 16gb 2 pack from Amazon is going back. Shot my daughters softball game and lost all 230 pics 1dx 1st slot jpeg large, 2nd slot raw large. Tried recover software but no help. Lost everything. Tried looking at playback but camera just "freezes" I'm totally bummed. Just orderedd 32gb twin pack from B&H

Aug 05, 2012 at 03:35 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password