Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · A little help please!!

vickc

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · A little help please!!

I would love some input on a picture i am trying to create. I am going to be taking some pictures for my niece's senior portraits and i would like to get a shot of her blowing some glitter out of her hands. The glitter will be her school colors (blue and yellow). Any suggestions on how to achieve this? i do not have a full arsenal of gear on hand so simplistic would be great and i know that cannot always be done..

Thank you in advance....

Jul 31, 2012 at 04:19 PM
Steady Hand
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · A little help please!!

____________-
First...my standard intro to anyone "new" to me on this forum...
My comments or suggestions below are not a criticism of you, your model, your talent or skill. I offer them in a friendly tone of voice and with the sole intent to help you with a second POV and set of eyes. If you read sincere questions and simple suggestions as "criticism" of you, then you will miss how I am trying to help you.

Of course this may be your own "style" or your own "vision" and I suppose we can assume that the images look just like they do because that is exactly how you like them. That is OK too. It just shows that there are differences of "opinion" on what looks good. IF these are exactly what you want and like, then by all means continue making your images look like that and have fun doing it. As I always say: "Follow your own muse."

My Simple Suggestion: Keep it simple.

And, since you say you don't have much gear I add this: Use what YOU know will make a nice photo. Use your own creativity too.

Jul 31, 2012 at 07:14 PM
Steve Wylie
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · A little help please!!

If I were to try this, without any additional gear other than my camera, here's how I might do it:

I would look for a location in full sun, but with a darker, inobtrusive backdrop (maybe a hedge or a wall). I would position the subject so that she is somewhat backlit by the sun, but not in full silhouette. Pose her carefully, so that the sun still illuminates the face, but there's a pleasing shadow on the camera side of the nose. For example, if you use a clock analogy, you're at six o'clock, she's in the center of the clock facing four o'clock, and the sun's at two o'clock). The background should thus be in full shade. If she then blows the glitter from her cupped hands, it should sparkle in the sun. Take a few tests before she blows the glitter, and meter off of her face to get a good exposure, or the darker background may result in an overexposure of her face. Shoot at a relatively wide aperture (say between 2.8 and 4.0 if your lens can do that) to throw the background out of focus and freeze the glitter in mid flight.

That should get you close. Have fun, and let us see the results!

Jul 31, 2012 at 08:25 PM

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password