Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Want to rent some MF lenses, Zeiss suggestions?

Romulus90
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Want to rent some MF lenses, Zeiss suggestions?

I've been itching to try a few MF lenses and thought I'd rent one or two. I generally shoot normal lenses, very rarely longer than 75mm on my DX cameras and most often stick to 50mm or shorter. Most of my subjects are landscapes, occasional city/stills, some people.

Which one(s) would you all suggest? I'm totally lost on their lens terminology (sumicron, lux, etc) as well..

Jul 31, 2012 at 05:02 AM
Todd Warnke
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Want to rent some MF lenses, Zeiss suggestions?

The ZF.2 21/2.8 and the ZF.2 100/2.0 are the kings of the current crop of Zeiss lenses. Pop over on the Alt Board and you'll see a a nearly 750 page long list of the current Zeiss lenses used (mostly) on Canon and Nikon bodies.

Peace,

Todd

Jul 31, 2012 at 05:24 AM
splathrop
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Want to rent some MF lenses, Zeiss suggestions?

Don't pay any attention to the terminology, it relates to technical stuff that doesn't matter much. The standard focal length and f/stop parameters are adequate guides.

The 21mm has to be used to be adequately appreciated. It is so much better than most wide angles that you might not imagine how good such a lens can be until you try it. It is ideal for landscape, interiors, street scenes. Also forgiving on manual focus because of short focal length. Surprisingly good for indoor shots of fast-moving kids, etc., if you don't get too close.

The 35mm f/1.4 delivers superb image quality. It's an extremely versatile lens for landscapes, people, dark events indoors. Some people use it for flower shots because of the great background blur.

The 50mm f/2.0 gets less attention than I think it deserves, probably because of a less popular focal length. It delivers spectacular color, contrast, and resolution. I have never seen a lens that did as good a job at making clouds seem to float in the sky, instead of being plastered against it. Less expensive than the other top Zeiss lenses. My choice for the best image quality available from a 50mm lens.

The 100mm f/2.0 might be the sharpest, best-contrast lens available for semi-macro shots, and for subjects at longer distances when you want to isolate them with selective focus. It is also superb for hyper-focal use at great distances, but maybe a tiny step down in that department from its closer applications. It can be brutal as a portrait lens, but you can mostly avoid that with wide apertures that put most of the subject slightly out of focus. Just don't shoot older women at f/5.6.

Jul 31, 2012 at 11:21 AM
AMaji
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Want to rent some MF lenses, Zeiss suggestions?

For rental purposes on a DX body try the following:
1. 21/2.8
2. 50/2 MP
3. 35/1.4
4. 100/2 -> you got to try this even though you do not use this FL often. It is just so much fun to use.

Jul 31, 2012 at 02:27 PM
RCicala
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Want to rent some MF lenses, Zeiss suggestions?

Don't forget the 25mm f/2. Also amazingly good. But spalthrop and AMaji have it covered otherwise.

Jul 31, 2012 at 03:49 PM
frezeiss
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Want to rent some MF lenses, Zeiss suggestions?

RCicala wrote:
Don't forget the 25mm f/2. Also amazingly good. But spalthrop and AMaji have it covered otherwise.

+1

Get the 25 f/2.8 if you want to save a bit, it has quite a near min focus distance. Another lens I would recommend besides 25 is the 35 f/2 distagon, I say skip the 1.4 since the f/2 is sharper! Zeiss 1.4 lenses are generally less sharp than the 2.0 siblings.

Jul 31, 2012 at 03:55 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Mishu01
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Want to rent some MF lenses, Zeiss suggestions?

Josh, apart of Zeiss camp you can look at Cosina Voigtlanders. With the cost of one Zeiss lens you can buy the whole SLII group of CV's. They are small, provide great IQ and are build like a tank. You can pick from 20/3.5 Color Skopar, 40/2 Ultron, 58/1.4 Nokton and 90/3.5... I think they are releasing a 75/1.8 soon.

Having said this... many people on FM are loving the great heritage of MF Nikon glass. There is a dedicate thread that's growing very fast... you can visit to see what these people are producing on last digital bodies with this old glass. I have about 10 MF Nikkors... my favorite kit is 28/2 AI-S, 55/1.2 AI and 105/2.5 AI-S. You should try some because they are like a steal for the money.

Jul 31, 2012 at 04:03 PM
hidden_Markov
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Want to rent some MF lenses, Zeiss suggestions?

Mishu01 wrote:
Josh, apart of Zeiss camp you can look at Cosina Voigtlanders. With the cost of one Zeiss lens you can buy the whole SLII group of CV's. They are small, provide great IQ and are build like a tank. You can pick from 20/3.5 Color Skopar, 40/2 Ultron, 58/1.4 Nokton and 90/3.5... I think they are releasing a 75/1.8 soon..

The 90mm is discontinued at the moment. Most of the online stores are lsiting not in stock and wait for stuff to come in. Whether they actually get them or not I can't say. Even Stephan Gandy doesn't have these beyond canon eos stock leftovers so not sure if BH and such have hookups www.cameraquest.com doesn't have. Whether a rerelease slated I don't know. The 20 and 40 are slated for metal focus barrel upgrades under the SLII N line.

If you like pancake glass, here is worth a look. You will not get zeiss microcontrast and colour, but at least for the 40/2 which I own its still a very decent lens. Great for turning even a heavier body into "point and shoot" weight wise. NOght and day wight difference on my d700 running heavier glass when I run that lens.

Jul 31, 2012 at 07:02 PM
bbvaj
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Want to rent some MF lenses, Zeiss suggestions?

Don't do it . You will hate everything else you have and will end up dropping a few grand to cure a disease called zeissitis

Jul 31, 2012 at 07:22 PM
Gregg B.
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Want to rent some MF lenses, Zeiss suggestions?

Zeiss lens is, in my opinion, the finest piece of glass ever made. The coating they use is amazing. I have three of them, and no regrets. For landscape, which is what you do, the 21mm f/2.8 or 25mm f/2.0 are probably the most appropriate.
I personally think that Zeiss 100mm f/2.0 is the sharpest lens ever. I've seen people taking pano shots with it (double row panos) because it is that good. Of course, you can use it as macro too, and that is what this lens was designed for.
The 35mm f/1.4 is a very fine lens. I have it, and love it. This is what I use for my panos most of the time. For portrait in studio I'm using 85mm f/1.4, and love it.
I think there is my old thread here somewhere with sample images I took with some of my Zeiss lenses. Look that up. It show some images from Olympic National Park, so search for that.

Jul 31, 2012 at 08:09 PM
dj dunzie
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Want to rent some MF lenses, Zeiss suggestions?

The Zeiss 100/f2 Makro-Planar might well be my very favorite lens I have ever used. It is an incredibly rewarding piece of glass no question.

Beyond that, I love the 35/f2 Distagon, which to me has very similar rendering characteristics to the 100.

The 21/f2.8 is right there with the 100/f2 for reputation and if you check out the Zeiss Alt thread, you'll see the reputation is well deserved. I very often wish I had opted for this lens instead of the 14-24, but there are offsets there I also appreciate with the 14-24 even if the rendering isn't quite up to the same standard as the Zeiss.

The new 35/f1.4 and 15/f2.8 will be stunners as well I'm sure, however the price tag is definitely steep. The 35/f2 is so good though I don't feel the need to look closer at the f1.4.

I've owned the 50/f1.4 Planar, but the 50/f2 Makro-Planar is really the stunner at that focal length, where the f1.4 is just "good".

To get an appreciation of the Zeiss line though, I'd be starting with the 100/f2 and 21/f2.8, and if you want a mid-length, try a 35/f2 or 50/f2.

Jul 31, 2012 at 08:51 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password