Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2012 · How do you guys backup your files?

jzucker
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · How do you guys backup your files?

I've gone through easeUS and now Acronis and both of them have failed miserably at one point or another.

Is there any decent backup software that can do file level delta backups that is reliable? If not, what strategy do others employ?

Jul 31, 2012 at 02:43 AM
JoeMelzer
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · How do you guys backup your files?

Since I'm way too lazy to do it manually, I use livedrive(.com). Syncs all my stuff in background so I never have to worry again. Then there is an external HDD I switch on once in a while and simply copy new folders. Last thing: I'm planning on using a NAS, for a start would be 2x2 TB in RAID 1 (mirroring).

You might want to search for rsync based tools - pretty damn fast and basically file level delta

Jul 31, 2012 at 08:55 AM
jzucker
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · How do you guys backup your files?

i'm using carbonite for online backup but it's so slow I don't know if it'll ever finish. After 1 month it's only 30% done.

Jul 31, 2012 at 06:58 PM
DanBrown
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · How do you guys backup your files?

jzucker wrote:
i'm using carbonite for online backup but it's so slow I don't know if it'll ever finish. After 1 month it's only 30% done.

How do you know it is carbonite? It may be your internet connection and would be slow no matter the destination. If you are unsure, you can run a speed test.

Jul 31, 2012 at 09:01 PM
bqq100

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · How do you guys backup your files?

AJSync to copy files from working PC to home server and to laptop
Acronis to backup files on home server to a separate hard drive
BackBlaze online backup for offsite storage

Unless the world ends, i think i'm adequately backed up

Jul 31, 2012 at 09:08 PM
jzucker
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · How do you guys backup your files?

DanBrown wrote:
How do you know it is carbonite? It may be your internet connection and would be slow no matter the destination. If you are unsure, you can run a speed test.

my connection is good 12MBS. It's carbonite. They slow you down tremendously when you get beyond 200gb and I have 700gb to backup. A friend of mine had the same issue. Took him 2 months to backup 500gb

Jul 31, 2012 at 09:10 PM
Dave_EP
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · How do you guys backup your files?

Goodsync

Jul 31, 2012 at 11:24 PM
jzucker
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · How do you guys backup your files?

i don't want sync, I just want backup.

Jul 31, 2012 at 11:28 PM
Mark Metternich
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · How do you guys backup your files?

Lots of 2 TB drives

Aug 01, 2012 at 12:28 AM
lukeb
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · How do you guys backup your files?

jzucker wrote:
i don't want sync, I just want backup.

http://www.bitreplica.com/

I backup to a 3TB portable drive with Bitreplica - never had any problems.

Aug 01, 2012 at 12:37 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

netexpress
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · How do you guys backup your files?

I keep my files on Linux servers at work and home with Hitachi 4TB SATA JBOD drives on LSI JBOD SAS controllers which I connect to my Windows boxes via direct 10GigE links. The main Linux box backs up nightly (using rsync) to a 2nd Linux server on a cron job. Once a day I rsync all the data to a set of 4TB drives that I shuttle from home to work and visa-versa to rsync all the data between my home and work Linux servers. The shuttle drives are JBODs in hot swap modules so I can just pull them out and run.

Aug 01, 2012 at 12:38 AM
jim2312
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · How do you guys backup your files?

JZucker,

I keep it simple, connect two 1TB USB drives. Next it will be 2 TB drives since 1TB's are hard to come by.

I am a sports photog so after each game I just drag and drop to each. low cost, all in my own hands and simple.

Many on the sports boards also use Drobo and the like but close to double/triple the cost.

Jim

Aug 01, 2012 at 12:44 AM
Mpking
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · How do you guys backup your files?

I try to keep it simple and automated as well. I have two 2TB drives in my desktop for file storage, a main and a backup. I use microsoft synctoy to sync them every night while I'm asleep. You have to set it up with windows task scheduler but after that it is worry free. Every month or so I hook up an external drive and make a backup of my backup to keep off site in case of fire or flood. I never worry about backups now since I know that If my computer is turned on, it will back everything up daily.

Aug 01, 2012 at 12:28 PM
ravisrajan
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · How do you guys backup your files?

I have in home 2X2 TB NAS drive connect to my home network for backup for my RAW and JPG files, which I can access from any of my home PC/laptops and use smugmug as hosting and online/cloud backup for JPG files. since smugmug have umlimited storage and hosting.

Aug 01, 2012 at 08:15 PM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · How do you guys backup your files?

DanBrown wrote:

It's always Carbonite They are so slow and have an upload limit/speed limit when you backup. No internet connection are slower than that. Not even the old style phone lines

Aug 01, 2012 at 08:36 PM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · How do you guys backup your files?

I have 3 Drobo's. One as my main photo storage. And the others as backups. I use SyncBackPro software for the backup

Aug 01, 2012 at 08:39 PM
Jo Dilbeck
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · How do you guys backup your files?

I have a triple back-up, done weekly for any updates, then every month or two a full backup and delete prior fulls and incrementals. I use Western Digital HD's and their back-up software, 1st back-up is to second 1tb internal drive, 2nd back-up is to 2tb external drive, then once in a while, I do a third full back-up to another external drive and store it away from the computer.

Jo

Aug 02, 2012 at 07:40 PM
jzucker
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · How do you guys backup your files?

So, I just discovered that the acronis actually does finish the backup (700gb file backup) but it takes it 16 hours to complete. Apparently going from 600gb to 700gb increases the backup time by a ridiculous amount, even on incremental backups.

Aug 02, 2012 at 07:44 PM
bqq100

p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · How do you guys backup your files?

jzucker wrote:
So, I just discovered that the acronis actually does finish the backup (700gb file backup) but it takes it 16 hours to complete. Apparently going from 600gb to 700gb increases the backup time by a ridiculous amount, even on incremental backups.

Is it trying to consolidate any backups?

Aug 02, 2012 at 08:06 PM
jzucker
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · How do you guys backup your files?

no, i never had it set to consolidate. This was an initial backup because the previous incremental backup corrupted the partition. So , brand new 2TB drive, brand new backup.

Aug 02, 2012 at 09:42 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password