Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2012 · Samyang 14 f2.8 questions

ben egbert
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Samyang 14 f2.8 questions

Just got this lens today and played with it on my 1DS-mk3. Sort of disappointed that focus confirm does not work as it does on my Ziess lens. The little brochure that came with it sort of made me think it would but no luck.

But the sharpness and DOF are terrific. Looks like the beginning of the infinity mark at f8 is the sharpest setting at distance and slightly better than the 10 foot mark. 7 Feet is best at very near subject like at your feet and not bad at distant stuff. I was also favorably impressed at distortion for landscape work. Not bad at all.

8 feet is hyperfocal at f5.6 and .015 CoC but I always find hyperfocal a bit of a disappointment.

I tried various settings with f5.6 and it is very good, but slightly sharper on the edges at f8.

Any tips would be appreciated.

Jul 31, 2012 at 12:00 AM
philhill

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Samyang 14 f2.8 questions

Iíve had pretty good luck focusing at 10 feet and f/8. Of course, Iíve not needed to include my feet in any shots.

You can add an inexpensive chip to get focus confirmation. Iíve got the chip, but havenít yet gotten around to attaching it.

Jul 31, 2012 at 12:16 AM
ben egbert
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Samyang 14 f2.8 questions

Did not know about the chip, any ordering info?

I will give focus by mark a try. Going out this evening for a real test.

Jul 31, 2012 at 12:21 AM
JohnBrose
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Samyang 14 f2.8 questions

The focusing scale was off adjustment on mine, so I made my own scale. You can download a distortion correction for photoshop for it on Samyang's facebook site I believe. It corrects the moustache distortion. I really enjoy the lens and really like how close it focuses. I guess I don't have any more tips though. I've never considered getting a focus chip, just have the alternate focusing screen in my 5d2 or us live view if I need to.

Jul 31, 2012 at 12:23 AM
ben egbert
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Samyang 14 f2.8 questions

The 1DS-mk3 LCD is crummy for UWA. The grainy display of detail at infinity is so small at 14mm that live view is not much good for distant focusing. Even using a Hoodman is not much use.

I think I will go by the scale. Once I know how it performs, I will have something to trust.

I never worry about the absolute value of the focus scale. As soon as I figure out where it needs to be at f8 I am good. Focus of close stuff in live view is easy just the distant stuff.

I have a lot of experience with this on my 17TSE.

Jul 31, 2012 at 12:31 AM
roboticspro
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Samyang 14 f2.8 questions

The focus chip is really not worth it, other than having some EXIF info tagged to each image. The DoF is so large that the AF sensor will not give you consistant confirm. I pulled it off the 14mm and re-mounted it on the 85mm f1.4, where it actually helps out quite a bit.

Another point about the lens (besides the focus scale being way off infinity), there is a sizable focus shift going from f2.8 to a working aperture like f5.6-f8, so use LiveView to confirm. I agree with the software corrections, as they do work great. The lens is a bargain, along with the 35mm, and 85mm. You just need to work slower and smarter...

Edd

Edited on Aug 11, 2012 at 10:44 PM · View previous versions

Jul 31, 2012 at 12:34 AM
philhill

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Samyang 14 f2.8 questions

ben egbert wrote:
Did not know about the chip, any ordering info?

Theyíre available from several sellers on eBay, typically under $10, and often user-programmable.

I purchased mine from seller Ďweakpotomaní paying $4.15 plus $3 extra to have 14mm f/2.8 pre-programmed. Thereís also an inexpensive ($3) plastic jig available to assist in mounting.

Jul 31, 2012 at 01:38 AM
ben egbert
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Samyang 14 f2.8 questions

Here is my test drive from tonight. The wind and low light forced me to go to f5.6 ISO200 to freeze the wheat. I decided the wheat was more important than the horizon so I focused at 7 feet.

I have a bunch at other settings like 7 feet, 10 feet and infinity at F8, but will save for later.

test drive

Canon EOS-1Ds Mark III    1/60s    200 ISO    +0.7 EV  

Jul 31, 2012 at 03:28 AM
Mike K
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Samyang 14 f2.8 questions

Ben,
I'm glad you got a good copy. Mine never worked out for me as I wanted to use it for night shots at the wider apertures. The focus calibration was off a mile on the Samyang, but that didn't phase me at all. I simply could not get sharp results at f2.8-4.0, where I wanted to use it. I always found myself gravitating back to the Zeiss 21/2.8 ZE and simply dealing with a smaller view. The Zeiss is sharp in the corners, even wide open, and had that great micro contrast. My recent alternative is the Canon 17 TSE , but its rather slow at f4 max aperture. Also stars woudl begin tracking with 2 longer exposures, making a wide angle flat stitch pano impractical. As the others posters note, the moustache distortion could be readily dealt with with PT Lens, but couldn't make soft corners become sharp.
I'm glad yours is working out, show us some examples.
MIke K

Jul 31, 2012 at 06:09 AM
ben egbert
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Samyang 14 f2.8 questions

see above, taken at f5.6. I did some 17TSE at this place to get some comparison but have not checked them yet. I can already see it is going to be hard to see the difference. I would also like to use this for star scapes where the 17 is too slow.

I am watching the Ziess 15mm but hear it won't be shipping until December.

Jul 31, 2012 at 01:24 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Gunzorro
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Samyang 14 f2.8 questions

Ben -- I had the same focusing issues as John, and handled the same way -- piece of white tape with my own focus distances (way different than the lens markings!).

I sent my first one back over focusing scale issues. The second one was better, but infinity is around the 10' marking, 12' is around the 7', and 6' is around 4'. 3' is at 2' mark, and after that it is a better approximation at closer distances. I spent several days getting the exact focus for infinity, 12', 6', 3'. At closer distances, objects are big enough to visually focus accurately.

I agree -- skip the chip. There is so much tiny detail with this lens that is impossible to focus other than by distance scale.

Nice shot, BTW! I'm sure you will love this lens -- the IQ is quite impressive between f/5.6 and f/8.

Jul 31, 2012 at 02:46 PM
ben egbert
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Samyang 14 f2.8 questions

Not sure why I need to mark focus distance. I have never trusted these markings even back in film days. I generally shoot at one or two aperatures, for this lens it will be f5.6 and f8 unless I need to slow down shutter, in which case DOF just gets better at the cost of diffraction.

So I have determined that the 7 foot mark is sharp for stuff at my feet by f5.6 and the 10 foot mark is sharp everywhere at f8.

This is basically all I need to know. I don't like selective focus, but on the off chance I did it, live view would be the means.

All of my lenses focus a bit past infinity. I always thought this was on purpose and a safeguard against thermal expansion.

Jul 31, 2012 at 05:18 PM
poirot

p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Samyang 14 f2.8 questions

it is easy to adjust infinity, I used those instructions
check my samples of using this lens as hyperfocal wide open

Jul 31, 2012 at 06:07 PM
Ubuntu_user

p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Samyang 14 f2.8 questions

ben egbert wrote:
Here is my test drive from tonight. The wind and low light forced me to go to f5.6 ISO200 to freeze the wheat. I decided the wheat was more important than the horizon so I focused at 7 feet.

I have a bunch at other settings like 7 feet, 10 feet and infinity at F8, but will save for later.

Wow, that image makes me want this lens! Fantastic work!

Jul 31, 2012 at 06:22 PM
JimUe
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Samyang 14 f2.8 questions

you could try calibrating it this way as well:
http://www.4photos.de/camera-diy/Samyang-Walimex-Rokinon-Vivitar-Falcon-14mm-2.8-Focus-Correction.html

there's a 5d2 profile you can edit to remove the sensor info and just use the lens info:
http://www.motleypixel.com/forum/index.php?topic=931.0

Jul 31, 2012 at 09:29 PM
ben egbert
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Samyang 14 f2.8 questions

Thanks for the links. I would never use this lens for critical work where distortion is a factor when I have the 17TSE. I have to see how much I care for landscape use.

Jul 31, 2012 at 10:33 PM
ben egbert
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Samyang 14 f2.8 questions

Question for those who fixed the infinity focus. Having never used the focus distance marks on lenses since I started in 1980, I am wondering how you use them.

I mean obviously they are there for a reason, but I am stumped with the reason on a UWA. The lens tends to have total dof from close to infinity from f5.6 on, you only need to know what to set it. This does not seem to be a lens that could even do much selective focus.

I could see if using for star scapes at f2.8. So in that case you need to get a good infinity.

Just wondering, not debating.

Jul 31, 2012 at 11:55 PM
philhill

p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Samyang 14 f2.8 questions

Focusing scales can be useful approximations for repeatability, but Iíve never treated them as being absolutely accurate.

Aug 01, 2012 at 12:01 AM
ben egbert
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Samyang 14 f2.8 questions

Last night I was comparing my 17TSE a very sharp lens with the SamYang. I used focus confirm on the TSE and when I got home, I found it was front focused and thus soft at infinity, a problem I get occasionally. The SamYang was much sharper at infinity and just as good close.

The TSE is really sharp when I nail focus, but now I suspect I rely too much on focus confirm and the details at infinity are not good enough to be reliable.

Infinty focus on an UWA with the crummy 1DS-mk3 live view is not possible for me. Now I am considering using the focus scale. But I don't need them to be accurate in terms of distance, just repeatable in terms of focus after I figure out what value to use for infnity.

Aug 01, 2012 at 12:31 AM
JohnBrose
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Samyang 14 f2.8 questions

I found on mine that if I made a mark basically by the "E" on the red EOS on the top of the lens that you can see on gunzorro's image that the lens scale was then quite accurate. I started to make a scale like gunzorro's first but then discovered that the scale was just shifted so used this other method. extra room at infinity is also to allow for infrared photgraphy I believe and changes due to temperture as already noted. I've used the 17 tilt/shift a couple times also and have found the samyang is very close if not sharper to the 17. It is lacking the corrections thow so it wouldn't be a replacement and you can do a very wide stitch with the tilt/shift without registry problems.

Aug 01, 2012 at 12:47 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password