Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Loose screw noise inside 7D ?

sritri
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Loose screw noise inside 7D ?

I had sent in my 7D for a quick clean and check to Jamesburg. The repair note said "Bottom PCB screw repaired"

Now the 7D makes a tiny sound very very similar to a 'wandering-screw-inside'. In as many years as I have had the 7D i never noticed any sound coming out the camera. I checked the 5D Mark II and it doess'nt make such sounds if gently shaken from side by side.

The Canon 20D does make the same sound as though.

Does your 7D make this sound ? The sound is very tiny and audible and is exactly the way it sounds if you were to drop a screw inside a radio or some such small electronic thingy. The location of the noise seems near the flash hot shoe or the VF

TIA for taking time to check.

Jul 30, 2012 at 11:17 PM
Gochugogi
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Loose screw noise inside 7D ?

Sounds like a wee steely ball rounding down an inclined plane? If so, that's either the orientation sensor or an alien nano robot programmed to burrow out of the pentaprism and eat your brain...

Jul 30, 2012 at 11:20 PM
sritri
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Loose screw noise inside 7D ?

Gochugogi wrote:
Sounds like a wee steely ball rounding down an inclined plane? If so, that's either the orientation sensor or an alien nano robot programmed to burrow out of the pentaprism and eat your brain...

So it is normal ?

Jul 30, 2012 at 11:22 PM
johnip
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Loose screw noise inside 7D ?

Normally the nanobot doesn't make it out.

Jul 30, 2012 at 11:31 PM
Jefferson
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Loose screw noise inside 7D ?

I vote for the orientation sensor...sounds like it has lost its' orientation...lost in camera trying to find its' way back to its' home location...shoot vertical for a few shots and see if that helps

Jul 31, 2012 at 02:29 AM
chrisdee
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Loose screw noise inside 7D ?

It's been a while since orientation sensors with moving mechanical parts have been last used - it's all solid state these days. I vote for either the loose screw or the built-in flash hinge (the latter being nothing to worry about).

Jul 31, 2012 at 04:17 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Jeff
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Loose screw noise inside 7D ?

It's part of the flash pop up mechanism, or the orientation sensor as someone previously suggested. This is per Canon Service in Irvine, which had my 7D for the lock button upgrade. Normal.

Jul 31, 2012 at 04:42 AM
omarlyn
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Loose screw noise inside 7D ?

Jeff wrote:
It's part of the flash pop up mechanism... Normal.

+1

Jul 31, 2012 at 05:13 AM
sritri
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Loose screw noise inside 7D ?

Jeff wrote:
It's part of the flash pop up mechanism, or the orientation sensor as someone previously suggested. This is per Canon Service in Irvine, which had my 7D for the lock button upgrade. Normal.

Thanks Jeff. I too called Jamesburg and was told it is from an untensioned "lift spring" mechanism for on-board flash and is normal. He also said this is present in almost every body with an on board flash.

Thanks everyone.

Jul 31, 2012 at 02:23 PM
Monito
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Loose screw noise inside 7D ?

johnip wrote:
Normally the nanobot doesn't make it out.

Right. It doesn't enter by eyeballs. But if you put your ear next to the viewfinder, game over.

Jul 31, 2012 at 02:57 PM
Photon
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Loose screw noise inside 7D ?

Monito wrote:
Right. It doesn't enter by eyeballs. But if you put your ear next to the viewfinder, game over.

I should have listened and not listened, but I didn't listen, so I listened, and now I'm off my game.
Actually, the only SLR I have with a pop-up flash is an ancient D60. Guess I need to dig it out and try it.

Jul 31, 2012 at 03:25 PM
jaybird555
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Loose screw noise inside 7D ?

sritri wrote:

So it is normal ?

There's nothing normal about "having a loose screw"

Jul 31, 2012 at 11:46 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password