Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Weight capacity ratings

iseeq4life

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Weight capacity ratings

Why do tripods have such high weight capacity ratings?

Do you need those high ratings so you can load other dead weight to stabilize it?

Does a higher weight capacity equal to a better built and sturdy tripod?

30+ lbs seems outrageous for most setups unless you shoot with super telephoto all the time. But all carbon fibre have ultra high ratings it seems.

Jul 30, 2012 at 11:14 PM
eric_m
• •
p.1 #2 · Weight capacity ratings

What I've found is that the weight capacity ratings can help determine relative stability. For example, my old Bogen legs could support 11 lbs. That's enough to support a large DSLR and a medium lens. In theory.

Yes, it supports it. It doesn't support it well, especially when the center post is extended.

My Benro carbon-fiber has a weight rating of 25 lbs. I've never put more than half that amount on it. It's rock solid, even with the center post slightly extended.

Jul 31, 2012 at 12:19 AM
omarlyn
• • • •
p.1 #3 · Weight capacity ratings

iseeq4life wrote:
Why do tripods have such high weight capacity ratings?

Do you need those high ratings so you can load other dead weight to stabilize it?

Does a higher weight capacity equal to a better built and sturdy tripod?

Those ratings are almost useless anyway...there is no industry standard for those weight ratings so there no way to know (based on specs alone) what they really mean. It's like saying that a camera is 'weather resistant'...what the hell does that mean? A tripod weight rating SHOULD mean that it remains rock-solid at it's max-capacity even while the weight is slightly off-axis and/or inclined (as in normal use). However, in real-life, that is not always true and there's really no standard to gauge it by. Some companies really 'fudge' the weight capacities while others are very conservative. Best thing to do is to ask your local photographer freinds about their tripods and ask to try one out and ask advice here from trusted forum members.

HTH,
Omar

Jul 31, 2012 at 02:06 PM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password