Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Archive 2012 · Need help, doing a wedding

JeffHall916

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Need help, doing a wedding

Ok so I have a 5D Mark III and this is going to be my first time doing a wedding, can you suggest things that I will need. I have a tripod obviously. I will be using the- 24-70mm lens too. I have the 430EX flash I will be using. The ceremony will be outside and the the reception will be inside with no windows around, no natural sunlight.

Thanks for any info you might have!

Jeff

Jul 30, 2012 at 10:26 PM
ScooberJake
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Need help, doing a wedding

Jeff - I hope you have thick skin to withstand the barrage this forum is about to unleash on you. Your post and your question "please tell me what gear I need" suggest that you don't have a clue on how to shoot a wedding. If this is wrong, perhaps you should ask some more specific questions that might demonstrate your level of understanding while seeking for a particular bit of information. If this is true, and you don't have a clue on how to shoot a wedding, perhaps you should try to get out of it...

Jul 30, 2012 at 10:33 PM
Binh Ly
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Need help, doing a wedding

You'll probably need a backup camera and a more powerful flash (580EX or better), at the minimum.

Jul 30, 2012 at 10:35 PM
JeffHall916

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Need help, doing a wedding

Let me clear this up, I am helping my mother in law. She hired a photographer but she loves the way I take pictures so I said I would help out, that's it. I am NOT the main photo guy lol. But just want to make sure I have all that I should need

Jul 30, 2012 at 10:39 PM
Jefferson
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Need help, doing a wedding

JeffHall916 wrote:
Let me clear this up, I am helping my mother in law. She hired a photographer but she loves the way I take pictures so I said I would help out, that's it. I am NOT the main photo guy lol. But just want to make sure I have all that I should need

I don't shoot weddings but somewhat understand the pros posistion on the subject...what does the pro think of you shooting along with him/her...there may be some friction there...does the other photographer know about you?

Jul 30, 2012 at 10:58 PM
Sarsfield
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Need help, doing a wedding

.what does the pro think of you shooting along with him/her...there may be some friction there

That was an understatement at my nephew's wedding. When he saw me pull out my camera , lens and flash, he threatened to walk out. This despite the fact that my nephew spoke to him. You should make sure it's agreed upon in advance.

Jul 30, 2012 at 11:03 PM
onegreatcity
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Need help, doing a wedding

No doubt you'd draw a lot of heat if you posted your question in the Wedding Forum but, worded properly, it might be worthwhile. As others suggest, you likely owe it to yourself and the pro to have a conversation in advance to avoid discomfort on the day. My sister asked me to shoot 'behind the scenes' at her wedding and had that conversation with the official photographer on my behalf. No friction at all but I had the good sense to stay out of the way...

Jul 30, 2012 at 11:12 PM
Mike Mahoney
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Need help, doing a wedding

JeffHall916 wrote:
She hired a photographer but she loves the way I take pictures so I said I would help out, that's it.

That should make you about as popular as ants at a picnic ..

Jul 30, 2012 at 11:14 PM
Tapeman
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Need help, doing a wedding

I just shot tons of photos at my nephew's wedding and the photographer they hired had no problem with me shooting along with him and his crew of three. (all shooting Nikon D800s) He came and got me when he brought the bride & groom outside for some shots at sunset. He also spent some time with me showing off his D800s.

I had my 1D4 /70-200 with an EX 550 and my 5D2 / 16-35 (24-105 for the ceremony) with an other EX550 on a bracket.

His big beef was with the video guy getting in the way a lot.

Jul 30, 2012 at 11:21 PM
Jack Kelley

p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Need help, doing a wedding

Jeff,

Piggybacking on what others have said, I think your first task is to work out a very specific arrangement with the pro. I remember attending a wedding as a guest where a relative of the bride brought a camera and offered his photos to friends and family at very low cost, significantly undercutting the pro's sales. Talk about bad blood, even the bride was ticked off.

You may want to agree with the pro in advance not only what you will shoot, but where, how and to whom you will make your shots available. If the pro voices discomfort, maybe you'd want to hand him your cards to process and post. After all, you're doing this as a favor. You're presumably not trying to horn in on his business.

The second matter to resolve is how to shoot. Let's say you agree to shoot only guest candids, leaving all the posed setups and key moments -- family portraits, first dance, cake cutting, garter toss, etc. -- to the pro. For that, you could travel light. You'd need only your camera, one flash and a diffuser. If you can shoot one-handed, holding the flash off-camera (cord connected), so much the better. If you have a battery pack (like a Quantum Turbo) your flash will recycle faster. I'd recommend using One-Shot AF and Low Speed Drive (around 5 fps) so you'll get two or three pops from your flash for each shot. This will usually ensure at least one frame with nobody blinking. Sorry if you know all this already. Not trying to bury you in unsolicited advice. Good luck.

Jul 30, 2012 at 11:38 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Ziffl3
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Need help, doing a wedding

Mike Mahoney wrote:
That should make you about as popular as ants at a picnic ..

i am thinking texas style fire ants!!!!

... go talk to the pro.

we wedding shooters deal with uncle bobs/bobettes often. usually no issue .... but you come in rolling like part of the pro scene you could give the pro shooter a bad wrap by association. say ... for instance there is no flash in a church. you are flashing away during the ceremony after the officiant specifically said no flash and bam ... people are pissed at the pro shooter.

not saying this will happen ... just giving an example of something that seems harmless.

please forget the tripod. .... there is a reason speed kills in wedding shooting - i am talking about fast glass. f2.8 or faster.

good luck

Jul 30, 2012 at 11:53 PM
Ziffl3
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Need help, doing a wedding

Tapeman wrote:
I just shot tons of photos at my nephew's wedding and the photographer they hired had no problem with me shooting along with him and his crew of three. (all shooting Nikon D800s) He came and got me when he brought the bride & groom outside for some shots at sunset. He also spent some time with me showing off his D800s.

I had my 1D4 /70-200 with an EX 550 and my 5D2 / 16-35 (24-105 for the ceremony) with an other EX550 on a bracket.

His big beef was with the video guy getting in the way a lot.
...Show more

Why would any guest bring this much gear to a wedding??

Jul 30, 2012 at 11:59 PM
goosemang
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Need help, doing a wedding

I shot at two friends weddings this summer

just brought my 5d with the 50 1.4 and stayed the hell away from the paid photographers

Jul 31, 2012 at 12:32 AM
form
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Need help, doing a wedding

If you're not the main, why bring anything fancy...

Jul 31, 2012 at 12:52 AM
Chris Ventura
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Need help, doing a wedding

Just a hunch, but I am guessing perhaps he would like to learn and actually enjoys photography?

Using this logic, 99% of the shooters in the Landscape forum should just take their point-n-shoot to Yellowstone, because surely, and better photo has been taken before and they can just buy that instead?

form wrote:
If you're not the main, why bring anything fancy...

Jul 31, 2012 at 03:41 AM
dswiger
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Need help, doing a wedding

Chris Ventura wrote:
Just a hunch, but I am guessing perhaps he would like to learn and actually enjoys photography?

Using this logic, 99% of the shooters in the Landscape forum should just take their point-n-shoot to Yellowstone, because surely, and better photo has been taken before and they can just buy that instead?

Hmm, me thinks this misses the issue.
Using a family , photog-paid-for wedding, as a sort of a workshop on wedding photography is sketchy.
If for some reason the paid-photog has no problem with it other then than the usual restrictions, then go ahead carefully.

But the likelihood that he is going to be fine with this is less than 50-50.

Don't get your Yellowstone analogy.
That's a NP and anyone can bring anything to shoot there,
If there's a pro there, whatever. Just don't get in his way just because...

Now a better suggestion.
There are lots of requests, typically on Criagslist, for second shooter & assistants. Some are actually paid gigs, probably not much. Here you get to see how it works and participate at the appropriate level, learning a lot.
Now if the pro would take him as an UNPAID assistant, that would be good too.

Jul 31, 2012 at 04:03 AM
slee915
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Need help, doing a wedding

JeffHall916 wrote:

You certainly don't want to disappoint your mother in law.

http://hello-kitty.smugmug.com/Weddings/Migis-Wedding-2012-06-02/23324559_P9CTCx#!i=1887920296&k=tVxDQL2

I shot a wedding about a month ago as uncle Bob, requested by my mother in law too. I mainly use my 24-70. Occasionally pull out a 35L and 70-200 f/2.8. I tried not to get in the way of the paid wedding photographer. I pretty much stay in my seat to shoot during the ceremony, using the right FL to get the shot.

with the 5d3, don't hesitate to use high ISO to get a good shutter speed. Forget the tripod.

good luck

Jul 31, 2012 at 04:25 AM
Gunzorro
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Need help, doing a wedding

I'm not a wedding photographer, but I shot two weddings in the last month -- I try to stay away from wedding photography.

Your set-up sounds okay, but you won't need the tripod (well, I wouldn't need it), unless you want someone to trip on it.

I second the idea of a more powerful flash (I have 580EX and 580EX II), but the 430EX should work if you keep f/stop around 5.6. Don't plan on much high ceiling bounce though.

A little more telephoto would be advisable. I'd want a 24-105L as a better choice (I left my 24-70L at home, see next note). Or 70-200/2.8 on a separate body.

Have a back-up body, just in case. I shot with two bodies and lenses this last wedding, midday outdoors: 1Ds2 with 50/1.2L (no flash, wide open) over left shoulder (I'm right handed), and the primary, 5D2 with 28-300L with 580EX II on neck.

Previous wedding was 5D2 and 28-300 with 580EX II only -- 60D with 15-85 IS, 580EX back up not used.

As mentioned, check with the photographer. I don't like anyone in the kitchen while I'm cooking, so I'm even more feisty about additional photographers underfoot! But, it's a wedding, and these days, everyone is photographer.

Jul 31, 2012 at 04:40 AM
samwise
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Need help, doing a wedding

Just bring what you have, stay out of the main photographers way, and don't go to the bride and grooms portrait session (or if you do make sure you ask very nicely, and that is still something I personally would never do).

Since this wedding is for family, remember that the time you are shooting is time you could be spending with your family... but I realize some people still really want to shoot regardless, in that case stick to candids, detail shots, environmental shots, maybe the first dance if you are not in the way... that sort of thing.

FYI I am a professional photographer and the only gear I bring to a wedding of a friend or family is my iPhone, Instagram FTW.

Have fun!

Jul 31, 2012 at 05:31 AM
Daan B
• • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Need help, doing a wedding

If there is a pro, just tell your ant no. Sit back and enjoy the show

Jul 31, 2012 at 09:39 AM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register