Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2012 · Lens suggestions for 1D Mark III & low light?

kady05

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Lens suggestions for 1D Mark III & low light?

Hi all, this is my first post here, but I've been lurking for a little while now

I just got a GREAT deal on a 1D Mark III that I couldn't pass up. I had a T1i before so quite the upgrade.

I currently have a 50mm f/1.8 and a 70-200mm f/4 lens. Love these lenses for portrait style stuff and use the 70-200 for outdoor action shots of my dogs as well.

However, my main "want" currently is an affordable lens that does well in low light situations. I show one of my dogs, and dog shows are usually in pretty harsh lighting. I used the 50mm on my T1i and it did okay, but there were shows where we weren't able to get hardly any keepers. I say "we" because since I show my dog, I usually depend on my husband or a friend to take pictures for me. So ease of use comes into play as well here.

Some have suggested selling my 70-200 and getting the 2.8 version. My current one is not the IS, therefore I'm thinking I could do without the IS on the 2.8 if I went this route? My concern with this option is #1, the 50mm was sometimes too close for certain shots (you can only back up but so far, then there's the problem of people standing right in front of you), and #2, weight.. the 1D is already big, and I know the 70-200 2.8 is heavy! Just concerned that it'd be too bulky and annoying for my husband/friends to use.

Does anyone have any suggestions for me? I know the 17-40 is popular & affordable, but from what I've read/heard, it's not good in low light. Primes are an option, but I'm thinking having a zoom would be beneficial for the dogs since they're constantly moving around to different parts of the ring. Any suggestions would be great!

Jul 30, 2012 at 09:48 PM
abqnmusa
• • • •
p.1 #2 · Lens suggestions for 1D Mark III & low light?

I use these three lenses for low light situations such as stage performances, band playing in a bar, and outdoor low light performances.

Canon EF 35mm F1.4
Sigma 50mm F1.4
Sigma 85mm F1.4

All of the lenses produce good images in low light use.

One note: I remove filters when shooting low light stage performances to avoid flare.

Jul 30, 2012 at 10:35 PM
kady05

p.1 #3 · Lens suggestions for 1D Mark III & low light?

Any opinions on the Sigma 24-70mm? A few have suggested this, the Sigma is obviously more affordable than the Canon version.

Jul 30, 2012 at 10:49 PM
onegreatcity
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · Lens suggestions for 1D Mark III & low light?

I'm not sure what your working distance is at these shows but consider the Canon 85 f/1.8. Good in low light, not overly large, decent focus speed and relatively affordable. A step up, depending on your budget, would be the Canon 135 f/2 which is fairly revered among those who own them. Of course, these are both primes so you give up the flexibility of the zoom. As for the Sigma, 24-70 I haven't owned one but reviews seems to be mixed...

Jul 30, 2012 at 11:56 PM
kady05

p.1 #5 · Lens suggestions for 1D Mark III & low light?

onegreatcity wrote:
I'm not sure what your working distance is at these shows but consider the Canon 85 f/1.8. Good in low light, not overly large, decent focus speed and relatively affordable. A step up, depending on your budget, would be the Canon 135 f/2 which is fairly revered among those who own them. Of course, these are both primes so you give up the flexibility of the zoom. As for the Sigma, 24-70 I haven't owned one but reviews seems to be mixed...

I've considered the 85, but I think that'd be too close in many situations at the shows. Sometimes even the 50mm is too close and I can't even get the shot because of that.

Jul 31, 2012 at 12:20 AM
Sneakyracer
• • • •
p.1 #6 · Lens suggestions for 1D Mark III & low light?

Get the 70-200mm 2.8, whichever version you can get. Its a must have lens. I have the IS v1 and have made thousands of images with it and my 1DS3 with great results.

Jul 31, 2012 at 04:04 AM
Jeff
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · Lens suggestions for 1D Mark III & low light?

I say "we" because since I show my dog, I usually depend on my husband or a friend to take pictures for me. So ease of use comes into play as well here.

Disregarding the lens for a moment, I'm not sure how well that 1D MkIII will work out for the simplicity aspect.

I'd suggest a 24-70/2.8L, sounds like it might be the most versatile option if you are tending toward zooms, which I would in this case, for simplicity's sake.

Jul 31, 2012 at 04:49 AM
DesertBighorn
• • •
p.1 #8 · Lens suggestions for 1D Mark III & low light?

An alternative is a 135 f2. I have use one of these for several years to shoot my daughter's high school dance competitions in dimly lit high school gyms. It is a very sharp lens and give an extra stop of light.

-Doug

Jul 31, 2012 at 04:54 AM
Jeff
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · Lens suggestions for 1D Mark III & low light?

DesertBighorn wrote:
An alternative is a 135 f2. I have use one of these for several years to shoot my daughter's high school dance competitions in dimly lit high school gyms. It is a very sharp lens and give an extra stop of light.

-Doug

If the 50 is sometimes too long, I'm guessing the 135 will prove even less versatile, despite how well it does in low light.

Jul 31, 2012 at 04:58 AM
e.aland
• •
p.1 #10 · Lens suggestions for 1D Mark III & low light?

kady05 wrote:
Hi all, this is my first post here, but I've been lurking for a little while now

I just got a GREAT deal on a 1D Mark III that I couldn't pass up. I had a T1i before so quite the upgrade.

I currently have a 50mm f/1.8 and a 70-200mm f/4 lens. Love these lenses for portrait style stuff and use the 70-200 for outdoor action shots of my dogs as well.

However, my main "want" currently is an affordable lens that does well in low light situations. I show one of my dogs, and dog shows are usually in pretty
...Show more

i worked a lot with the 1D3 and fast lenses. still use that camera. IMO, the nice colors of that sensor works fine with some lenses. as you are asking for low light photography, my first proposition is clearly the 50L (which also delivers nice colors). i agree with the 2470L too, but that is f2.8. i used all fast L-primes on the 1D3. the 35L made certain problems (AF at close distance). 24L is great (but you seem to look for something versatile). 135L is top, 200L too, but both teles are simply limiting. 100L was not my cup of tea (compared to the 135L for example). conclusion: 50L for low light, 2470L for everything else.

Jul 31, 2012 at 06:26 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

ultrapix
• • •
p.1 #11 · Lens suggestions for 1D Mark III & low light?

I'd keep the 50 1,8, and just add the 28/1,8, a pretty decent performer on APSH, and much cheaper than the obviously better 35L.

Jul 31, 2012 at 07:30 AM
splathrop
• • •
p.1 #12 · Lens suggestions for 1D Mark III & low light?

My first thought is the 35L, which is a spectacularly versatile lens, delivers superb image quality, and works great in low light. But not a bargain.

But you may be an ideal customer for the new 28mm f/2.8 IS. Costs a good deal less than the 35L, plenty wide for what your are doing, I think, and with the IS on a short focal length ought to work spectacularly in very low light—which also ought to help out an inexperienced shooter. If the 28 IS is not wide enough, go with the new 24mm IS. Note, however, that IS is not a substitute for faster glass in motion shots.

Disclosure: I have no idea how well these new lenses actually work. In principle, they ought to be killer low light lenses. So check that out carefully at a camera store. Try some shots indoors over a range of ISOs and see how they turn out. But if you do that, don't then go buy online.

Jul 31, 2012 at 10:41 AM
melcat
• • •
p.1 #13 · Lens suggestions for 1D Mark III & low light?

kady05 wrote:
My concern with this option is #1, the 50mm was sometimes too close for certain shots (you can only back up but so far, then there's the problem of people standing right in front of you)...

I interpret this to mean that 50mm is sometimes too long on your 1.6 crop camera.

You will find that the AF on this camera works better with an f/2.8 or faster lens for some types of subjects. Specifically, while the centre point is cross-type at f/4, the others need f/2.8 to detect vertical lines. I do use an f/4 lens on this body for animals and generally get a lock on fur or feathers, so the faster lens might not make much practical difference for dogs. On the other hand, if you have the camera turned to portrait orientation and are trying to focus on a horizontal bar the dog will jump over, that bar is "vertical" to the camera and with an f/4 lens you *have* to use the centre point.

I have the Canon 16-35mm f/2.8 Mk II and the 1D Mk III, and the two work together very well. On full frame the 16-35 has soft corners until stopped well down, but it is much better behaved on 1.3x crop. I am not specifically recommending this lens over some kind of 24-70, it's just that I don't have any such lens and can't comment on it. You will want a zoom and those are the only real choices.

With regard to weight, the big integrated grip actually makes it quite easy to handle. It's carrying it around all day in a bag that is unpleasant.

You probably already knew the 10fps is going to give you much better compositions for moving animals than a slower camera.

Jul 31, 2012 at 11:08 AM
kady05

p.1 #14 · Lens suggestions for 1D Mark III & low light?

Thanks for all the suggestions!

Right now I'm looking at the Sigma 24-70mm.. just a little concerned that some have had issues with it. I could also probably swing the 70-200 f/2.8 (non-IS) if I sold my f/4. Found some Sigma's of that as well.

The 135 sounds great, but not for the dog shows unfortunately, it'd be too long. I'll also look into the new 28mm!

Jul 31, 2012 at 11:55 AM
onesickpuppy
• • • •
p.1 #15 · Lens suggestions for 1D Mark III & low light?

Well Kady05.....it seems that all suggestions above are useful but you keep reminding posters of an issue and then it gets avoided. Here is what I've taken from the post so far........

1. IF the 50mm is too long (on a crop body..equal to 80mm) then your definitely looking for something LESS than that!!
2. You stated that one of the issues is that its your husband or friend shooting....is there some concerns about their shooting knowledge or ability?? and now you have a much more complex body to hand them...?
3. Ask any pro...and they will advise L glass....which equals $$$

So, here is what I do know

I have the 1DMKIII and in your posts you have avoided upping the ISO.....to which this body does great at. The focus system is super!!! The body is just slightly heavier than what you previously had.

I have the 17-40 and it does well (for what it is) in low light....if your willing to up the ISO.
I have the 70-200 2.8 IS.....it works well in low light too

I have shot dog trials before and found that my 24-70 2.8 is a super setup. Mine is the canon version. It will be slightly heavy compared to a tamron or sigma, etc. But the quality is right on.

I think that once you can show your husband how to shoot in shutter priority, using a ISO of 800 or 1000....your keepers will go up greatly. Back to basics is truly needed here....get your settings right...and almost anyone will get the good shot your looking for.

Jul 31, 2012 at 02:11 PM
kady05

p.1 #16 · Lens suggestions for 1D Mark III & low light?

Thanks for that!

My husband is actually not half bad, and I think once I showed him what to do he'd be okay with it.

Since I literally just got the camera, I haven't even had a chance to mess with it yet! So I haven't seen what it can really do in "person", have only read on forums. My next indoor show isn't til the end of November, so I have plenty of time to get a new lens.

I may look into getting the Sigma 24-70 though.. seems like a nice lens for the money. Of course if I end up being able to afford the Canon version, I will get that. But the 24-70 seems like what I need!

Jul 31, 2012 at 04:07 PM
onesickpuppy
• • • •
p.1 #17 · Lens suggestions for 1D Mark III & low light?

Yes...that would give you the equivalent of a 31-91 focal length
Remember...investment in good glass will
always outlast bodies that improve and change constantly

Jul 31, 2012 at 04:28 PM
dontbsme_2
• •
p.1 #18 · Lens suggestions for 1D Mark III & low light?

Issue's is Sigma's middle name with Canon's bodies there are exceptions to that, I will never risk it, unless i can return it with a generous return policy..

Save awhile, and buy a Canon lens...

my two cents.....

John

Jul 31, 2012 at 04:49 PM
jojosung
• • •
p.1 #19 · Lens suggestions for 1D Mark III & low light?

may I ask what's your budget

keep an eye out on 24-70L when the II comes out.. if it's within your budget..

Also the crop factor on the 1D is 1.3, so 50mm might not be too long.. if so, I would upgrade from 1.8 to 1.4

Lastly, the Canon 28-70 is not a bad lens as well and can be have for relatively cheap, if you can find one..

Finally, do you have flash? if not.. budget for that as well..

Jul 31, 2012 at 04:57 PM
adamo99
• •
p.1 #20 · Lens suggestions for 1D Mark III & low light?

Try the Sigma 30mm f/1.4.

Jul 31, 2012 at 05:22 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password