Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Creamy Bokeh?

Frankungstein

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Creamy Bokeh?

I posted this up in a group and was corrected (said they saw shallow DOF rather than bokeh) and given the link of some shoddy website in an effort to educate me about bokeh.

Spanish Podenco in Rota, Spain 2012 by thevisualeffect.com (JD Malave), on Flickr

I need feedback here because maybe all these years I haven't learned what a creamy bokeh looked like.

JD

feedback appreciated.

Edited on Jul 30, 2012 at 08:00 PM · View previous versions

Jul 30, 2012 at 07:45 PM
Kell
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Creamy Bokeh?

well, my understand of what consitutes 'bokeh' is the isolation of the main subject and blurring the background, which you did nicely imo...the two tone bg kinda distracts from the subject tho

Jul 30, 2012 at 07:58 PM
dmacmillan
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Creamy Bokeh?

Well, I think the most common definition is the quality of the out of focus areas of a photo. In your example, I think some lenses would not render the background as pleasing. I'd consider this good bokeh. The background here is not a real test of bokeh, since it is made up of fairly large, smooth areas. For me, the test of a lens' bokeh is how it handles a fairly busy background.

I see this was taken with an 85mm f1.8 on a Canon 5D. I have both and just love that lens, especially its bokeh! Some folks fuss about the purple fringe when shot wide open, but it usually isn't a factor for me.

BTW, I like your portrait! Next time, I suggest loading up a bigger image. 800 pixels wide on a landscape works well.

Edited on Jul 30, 2012 at 08:01 PM · View previous versions

Jul 30, 2012 at 07:59 PM
Frankungstein

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Creamy Bokeh?

dmacmillan wrote:
Well, I think the most common definition is the quality of the out of focus areas of a photo. In your example, I think some lenses would not render the background as pleasing. I'd consider this good bokeh. The background here is not a real test of bokeh, since it is made up of fairly large, smooth areas. For me, the test of a lens' bokeh is how it handles a fairly busy background.

BTW, I like your portrait! Next time, I suggest loading up a bigger image. 800 pixels wide on a landscape works well.

Thank you. I just noticed that it was a bit small so I uploaded a larger image. Thanks once again for the comments.

JD

Jul 30, 2012 at 08:01 PM
Jim Rickards
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Creamy Bokeh?

Looks like you know good bokeh when you see it. What you call it is another matter. Yours looks creamy to me.

I'm with dmacmillian - the quality of the blur is the big thing and a busy background is a good test.

Jul 30, 2012 at 08:32 PM
markperez
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Creamy Bokeh?

I actually think that is called a dog

Jul 30, 2012 at 10:11 PM
DavidWEGS
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Creamy Bokeh?

I would say it is the bokeh that is creamy.

Aug 02, 2012 at 05:21 AM

ct8282
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Creamy Bokeh?

Bokeh = background blur.

Yours looks like double whipped cream with a cherry on top.

Aug 03, 2012 at 09:37 PM
JeffG
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Creamy Bokeh?

Frankungstein wrote:
I posted this up in a group and was corrected (said they saw shallow DOF rather than bokeh) and given the link of some shoddy website in an effort to educate me about bokeh.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8167/7656640614_48826a2022_c.jpg
Spanish Podenco in Rota, Spain 2012 by thevisualeffect.com (JD Malave), on Flickr

I need feedback here because maybe all these years I haven't learned what a creamy bokeh looked like.

JD

feedback appreciated.

weekend warriors who never shot film i'm guessing?

Main Entry: bokeh
Part of Speech: n
Definition: a Japanese term for the subjective aesthetic quality of out-of-focus areas of a photographic image
Example: The bokeh, or quality of the blurred image in the photograph, was described and discussed.

Aug 05, 2012 at 01:27 AM
Dudewithoutape
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Creamy Bokeh?

As others have said bokeh is background blur. Having shallow dof helps in getting creamier bokeh; lens focal length, aperture blades, etc, help too. So I'd say you're right on the dot and that group you posted in needs to get educated. They're not entirely wrong, there is shallow dof, but there is definitely bokeh here too, only way to avoid bokeh is to have everything in focus (?, I may be wrong here, who knows)

Aug 05, 2012 at 07:09 AM
dmacmillan
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Creamy Bokeh?

Dudewithoutape wrote:
As others have said bokeh is background blur. (?, I may be wrong here, who knows)

Nope, bokeh is not background blur, it's the quality of the blur. You can take the same subject at the same aperture with two lenses of the same focal length where one will have good (creamy) bokeh and the other will have busy, ugly bokeh.

Lots of things factor in: the shape of the aperture, the lens design, etc. Few blades like 5 or so, tend to create less pleasing bokeh. That's one reason Leica rangefinder lenses, such as Summicrons, look great. They don't have to stop down and open up on every exposure, so they use a ton of blades to make an aperture that's an almost perfect circle. Old, symmetrical lens designs usually render nice bokeh. Very simple designs, like the LensBaby single element lens, have nice bokeh (but a lot of other problems that are their selling point).

Aug 05, 2012 at 11:42 AM
WAYCOOL
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Creamy Bokeh?

"it's the quality of the blur" Wrong it's just the blur there is good and bad bokeh but bokeh just the same.
By your own description "ugly bokeh" if it's the quality of the blur then ugly bokeh would not be bokeh just ugly.

Aug 05, 2012 at 08:24 PM
gowhow
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Creamy Bokeh?

I would word it something along the lines of

"I selected a wide aperture to ensure a very shallow DOF, and the shallow DOF has resulted in nice, creamy Bokeh"

nice pic btw

Aug 06, 2012 at 06:53 AM

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password