Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · I need some advice abougt CF cards advise

redbarn
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · I need some advice abougt CF cards advise

I am going on a budget camping safari trip, and yes I still have a very limited budget to get ready for the trip. I'll be going for a total of 2 weeks for the safari portion. I'll be using a 40D and one lens not planning schlepping a lot of gear/ wt. I normally take blank CD to transfer from the CF cards going to cyber cafes, but more than likely that would not be the case in Eastern Africa.

I don't have the budget to buy portable storage devices like the Epson, too pricey $600+. So my question is

How many CF cards should I consider taking. I have read that its better to take 2 - 4G cards in order to be safe should something happens to the cards I would not be loosing a lot of images. Having said that I can't predict how many images I'll be taking but this trip has been on my bucket list for the longest time, so would like to capture memory images from this trip.

I also been told to take fast CF cards, but I've checked the prices they are very expensive. Any suggestion. What would be the best CF cards to get for the $

Also any idea the best site to get CF cards. I've checked the reg sites including Newegg and they are higher than Fry's.

I will be using a point n shoot that shoots RAW but uses SD card for my non-safari shots. So my request for CF advise is only for the Safari portion of my trip

Jul 30, 2012 at 05:58 PM
warbandit
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · I need some advice abougt CF cards advise

I would think that it is better to have more storage than not enough for a memorable trip like this! CF cards don't take up tons of space so it wouldn't add too much bulk to carry a bunch with you. The flipside of carrying a bunch of 4GB cards is you just don't want to mix them up or lose them.

I don't think you necessarily need the FASTEST CF cards for a 40D. I've had no problems using 30mb/s and 133x cards on my 50D shooting RAW. It's not like you're shooting HD video or firing off 12fps or anything

Jul 30, 2012 at 07:43 PM
redbarn
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · I need some advice abougt CF cards advise

thanks for the honest input. Well, I have been using some CF cards, most Lexar 2GB - 80x and a couple x133 and they have never let me down; however, some people told me that I should get faster cards once I told them y destination, Africa. Granted it would be nice to catch some animals while they are in the chase but hopefully my 40D will deliver, at least I hope.

I wanted to take small size Mem cards as I said before, just in case one card goes bad I wouldn't loose too many images. Agree I'll be changing cards frequently. I'm going to invest in a good card case and will be numbered in order to keep 'em organized.

I just found the Sandisk Ultra 30mb/8GB for a good price, but was wondering if I should get the 4 GB instead, the cost would go up by $4.

I'm taking a different approach for my P and S camera that shoots videos and RAW will be getting a couple of 60/mg

Jul 31, 2012 at 05:42 AM
Paulthelefty
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · I need some advice abougt CF cards advise

warbandit wrote:
I don't think you necessarily need the FASTEST CF cards for a 40D. I've had no problems using 30mb/s and 133x cards on my 50D shooting RAW. It's not like you're shooting HD video or firing off 12fps or anything

I agree with this. Faster cards will not make that much difference even in the most extreme situations with your 40D. If you had a new 5DIII or a 1Dx, I would think differently.

Have a great trip!

Paul

Oh, and if the 8g is cheaper, just get it. You don't have to fill it all the way, and it will serve you better at home after the trip.

Jul 31, 2012 at 01:27 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

david debalko
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · I need some advice abougt CF cards advise

Here is a link to a 8gb CF card for 19.95 - http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/541391-REG/SanDisk_SDCFH_008G_A11_8GB_CompactFlash_Memory_Card.html

Jul 31, 2012 at 02:08 PM
GCasey
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · I need some advice abougt CF cards advise

On a trip to Yellowstone last year I used 4 and 8 GB CF San Disk cards and one 16 GB card with a 30D. They worked just fine. I shot just over 2,000 images.

Another suggestion. During the week, at night, while the images were fresh, I reviewed the images shot and IDed them, by groups, so it would be easier to catalog them when I got home. Not individual images, but by groups.

Jul 31, 2012 at 02:29 PM
redbarn
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · I need some advice abougt CF cards advise

David
Thanks for the link how did I missed it. I checked it brfore but
it didn't come up. I got a camera on route from B n H

Casey
How do you Ided by group in the camera in view mode

Jul 31, 2012 at 04:17 PM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell