Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Nikon D800E v.s Hasselblad H4D40: the end of medium forma...

Akoloskov
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Nikon D800E v.s Hasselblad H4D40: the end of medium format superiority?

Why to compare 35mm and medium format DSLRs?

For many years Medium Format DLSRs were separated from 35mm DSLR cameras by a huge gap in image quality and resolution (besides a price of course), and this seems to be always like this: twice larger medium format sensors without AA (blur) filter did not leave any chances for 35 mm cameras to match the resolution and image quality.
I own an old Phase One P25+ medium format digital back on Hasselblad H1 camera, and I’ve seen a big advantage of this old digital back over to a much younger 35mm Canon 1Ds Mk III and 5D MKII cameras.

However, with the new Nikon D800E everything might be changed: with 36 Megapixel sensor without AA filter (only in D800E model), this is first time when non expensive (D800E is not the top-of-the-line of Nikon cameras) 35mm DSLR can compete with medium format. Theoretically…

This is why I was so interesting in running this review-comparison between Nikon D800E and Hasselblad H4D40: Both has similar resolution sensors, both do not have AA filters. Other than a “scientific interest” in such test, I have my own very practical reason for it, because I am selling my old H1 with P25+ medium format bundle in order to get a replacement with more megapixels. In studio photography I do (especially liquid) 22 Mpx is way to low and does not provide a freedom of crop and extra resolutions I need.
So, the question I had in mind was this:
Will 36 Mpx Nikon D800E produce comparable image quality to a similar medium format system?

Here is the review, if you are interested. I do not want to re-post everything in here, to preserve "before-and-after" functionality I have on photigy.com:

Nikon D800E v.s Hasselblad H4D40: the end of medium format superiority? Round One

What do you guys think?

Jul 30, 2012 at 04:54 PM
mMontag
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Nikon D800E v.s Hasselblad H4D40: the end of medium format superiority?

Alex,

Thanks for posting this and your time in doing so - nicely done. Killer opening shot - fabulous portfolio - love the liquid work!

My interest in MF is a bit more subdued - working towards B+W 6x6 w/ 110/2......
This would draw more interest on the Alt Forum.

Jul 31, 2012 at 12:46 AM
bbvaj
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Nikon D800E v.s Hasselblad H4D40: the end of medium format superiority?

Isn't f/11 on D800E pushing too much in comparison to f/16 on Hasselblad. f/5.6-8 on D800E will be more fair. Use a Zeiss 100MP or something, the micro-contrast of that Nikon sucks in comparison to the lens used on Hasselblad.

The detail comparison is a little unfair here... Considering the little difference seen here, i would think with a better lens and using f/5.6-8, D800E will do at least as good as the Hasselbald.

Thanks for the comparison... Its nice to see how little the differences are...

Jul 31, 2012 at 04:07 AM
Akoloskov
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Nikon D800E v.s Hasselblad H4D40: the end of medium format superiority?

Bbvaj,
You read it wrong, I've used f11 on both for a portrait and f16 on both for still life.
I was not trying to pull the best result for each camera and lens combo, but to use a real numbers: f11-f16 is what I use most in my studio work.
Agree with you tan for Nikon f16 was too much... But again, this is how I would use it, and f6 did not give me a real picture.

Thank you guys!

Jul 31, 2012 at 04:16 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Taoguy
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Nikon D800E v.s Hasselblad H4D40: the end of medium format superiority?

Alex,

Thanks for the post, very informative and down to earth comparison for user end vs numbers. The industry keeps improving equipment and seems the cost keeps heading up. Nice to see Nikon put the effort into offering the D800/E at a reasonable price. My D800E is beginning to spoil me.

You have a great site as well, going to stop over more as there is a ton of helpful info you have shared. Glad I found ya.

Gerard

Jul 31, 2012 at 07:28 PM
Akoloskov
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Nikon D800E v.s Hasselblad H4D40: the end of medium format superiority?

Just an update:
I've posted a second part of the review:
http://www.photigy.com/nikon-d800e-v-s-hasselblad-h4d40-the-end-of-medium-format-superiority-round-two/

Aug 01, 2012 at 06:51 PM
bbvaj
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Nikon D800E v.s Hasselblad H4D40: the end of medium format superiority?

Thanks... The second part is very informative too..

Honestly was expecting more difference with highlights (D4, D3s and D700 could do much better than D800 in this regard).

Aug 01, 2012 at 07:22 PM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password