New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · 580ex/ex2 Master problem

Lance Lee
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 580ex/ex2 Master problem

This is a new one. I have a 580 and a 580ex2. I've used them both as on camera flash, often in master mode. All of a sudden, neither of them will work as master. When Master/Slave is turned off, everything is fine. With both, when I put them in Master they put out a tiny pop(less then the normal pre-flash), and will not trigger slave flashes, or provide exposure on the subject.

I find it hard to believe they both failed in the exact same way within days of each other. I've tried resetting my camera, and turning all custom flash functions off, still nothing.

To reiterate, I've used both flashes as master before, dozens if not hundreds of times.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance, Lance

Jul 30, 2012 at 11:23 AM
Photon
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 580ex/ex2 Master problem

Hi Lance,
I'm sure you would have said, but to eliminate a possible cause - same camera body or bodies?

Jul 30, 2012 at 11:28 AM
Lance Lee
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 580ex/ex2 Master problem

Yes, same camera all for a while now. But that is a good point. I'm going to break out my 40D and see what happens.

Jul 30, 2012 at 11:36 AM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 580ex/ex2 Master problem

Yeah could be a contacts / hotshot comms problem.

Jul 30, 2012 at 11:40 AM
Lance Lee
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 580ex/ex2 Master problem

An update: Same problem, with both flashes, on my 40D. In master, there is a tiny puff of a flash, but if won't trigger a slave, and doesn't record on the sensor.

Is it possible that I have the exact same fairly obscure problem with two flashes at the exact same time? Doesn't seem likely.

Also, same thing in manual flash. master/slave off, 1/4 power works like normal, but in master 1/4 power only puts out that little puff of flash, both cameras, both flashes.

Jul 30, 2012 at 11:50 AM
Photon
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 580ex/ex2 Master problem

Unless there is a coincidental failure in two flashes or two camera bodies, it seems there's most likely some kind of problem in one of the flashes that somehow affects their communication regardless of which is master and which is slave. At least that's the only way I see that a single fault could affect all the combinations you've tried.

Can you get hold of a third flash and try it with yours one by one?

Jul 30, 2012 at 12:24 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.