Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · D800/D800E for Slide & Negative Copying?

omarlyn
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · D800/D800E for Slide & Negative Copying?

I had a thought this weekend as I was going through my old 'stuff' and wondered if these new Nikons might be a good choice for 'duping' my old film slides & negatives instead of the tried & true method of scanning? I have an old slide & negative copying rail so I have that part of the equipment...just add digital camera & flat focusing macro lens. I know I can already do this with my current cameras/lenses but was wondering if the extra resolution & DR of the D800/E might give as good or better results than traditional scanning. It would certainly be a whole lot faster for sure...has anyone tried this and what kind of results have you gotten?

Omar

Jul 30, 2012 at 01:55 PM
jhinkey
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · D800/D800E for Slide & Negative Copying?

Omar - Search my threads and you'll see some results between a 5000ED, D700, and D800.

John

Jul 30, 2012 at 02:17 PM
omarlyn
• • • •
p.1 #3 · D800/D800E for Slide & Negative Copying?

jhinkey wrote:
Omar - Search my threads and you'll see some results between a 5000ED, D700, and D800.

John

Thanks John...you ARE a very prolific poster here! I was able to find you post (link) and it's very interesting reading...I'll have to filter through it all when I have more time but the final conclusion is that the D800 is very, very close to matching the image results from your scanner...very impressive I think!

Omar

Jul 30, 2012 at 03:01 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Jim Gilley
• •
p.1 #4 · D800/D800E for Slide & Negative Copying?

Oddly enough, that's actually why I jumped ship from the Canon 5D2 to the D800E - I thought the extra megapixels might finally be able to pull all the information out of Kodachromes. Alas, my results to date have not shown a marked improvement over what I am able to get with the 5D2, which although really good, is still leaving information behind on the slide that should be captured. In all honesty, I find little difference between my 5D2 results and my D800E results, aside from file size; the D800E contains no extra detail that the 5D2 lacks. This is totally contrary to my experience in "real" shooting (i.e. doing something with the cameras other than making DSLR slide dupes). In the real world, my experience has been that the D800E blows the 5D2 away.

Jul 30, 2012 at 10:29 PM
jhinkey
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · D800/D800E for Slide & Negative Copying?

Jim Gilley wrote:
Oddly enough, that's actually why I jumped ship from the Canon 5D2 to the D800E - I thought the extra megapixels might finally be able to pull all the information out of Kodachromes. Alas, my results to date have not shown a marked improvement over what I am able to get with the 5D2, which although really good, is still leaving information behind on the slide that should be captured. In all honesty, I find little difference between my 5D2 results and my D800E results, aside from file size; the D800E contains no extra detail that the 5D2 lacks.
...Show more

There is just not 36MP worth of information in any of my slides - and these were stopped down using Provia 100F, etc. and some high quality optics in the day (and today). Perhaps some of my negatives have more info. I can easily halve the number of pixels in the D800 images to save space without throwing out any real information.

I was interested in the D800 for the base ISO DR which now is as good as my 5000ED, though it has no scratch/dust removal or batch capabilities. But for limited imaging it seems to work great with my PB-6/PS-6 (the ES-1 works well too, it's just not as repeatable for slide positioning).

Jul 30, 2012 at 11:10 PM
Jim Gilley
• •
p.1 #6 · D800/D800E for Slide & Negative Copying?

I guarantee you that there is more than 36MP of information in a technically perfect K25 slide. I used to play with drum scanners back in the day and I found that the optimal scanning resolution was roughly 6000dpi. Any less than that and you were leaving detail on the slide. Any more than that and you were just making bigger files with no additional info. At least that was my experience.

I've been tinkering with DSLR duplication since 2010, using the 5D2 until quite recently. In some cases it produces inferior results to slide scanners such as the 5000ED (which I really need to sell now that they're worth a fortune and I never use mine), but in other cases the results are nearly indistinguishable. The thing is, when you have 50,000 slides to digitize, scanners just don't cut it. I can dupe a slide in about 10 seconds using a DSLR. Like Lloyd (although for vastly different reasons), I wish I had a mythical 60MP D4X to use for slide duping.

But as I said, the D800 experiment was largely a failure in terms of making any improvements over the 5D2. However, your point about dynamic range and shadow performance in real-world images is very well taken. Having been a Canon man for many years now, I'm dumping my entire collection based solely on the phenomenal strength of the D800E images and Nikon wide-angle glass. So even though my original reason for switching was a flop, I'm ultimately making better images than I ever could with my old gear.

Just FYI, there is a lot of info on DSLR slide duping scattered all over the web, although virtually none dealing specifically with the D800E. Also FYI, I tried several lenses on both the 5D2 and D800E. My conclusion is that the 5D2 makes best use of the 100/2.8 macro, whereas the D800E performs best with the 60/2.8G micro. Then again, I don't have a 105/2.8 VR to try.

A brief (and admittedly lacking) view of what I am talking about when I say 5D2 vs. D800 for slide duping detail.

Jul 31, 2012 at 12:11 AM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password