Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Is there a machinist in the house?

DennisC
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · Is there a machinist in the house?

I have a Wimberly F-1 bracket that I use to separate my flash/lens to mitigate red eye for night football. But, I need one that is longer. Wimberly does have extensions, but like everything else, they are horribly expensive.

I'd like to take my current bracket to a machine shop and tell them to make me another, but longer.

Anyone ever done anything like this? Was it worth your time? Would a job like this be too small for a shop to mess with?

Thanks for reading?

Jul 30, 2012 at 11:20 AM
sjms
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · Is there a machinist in the house?

and how much do you think they will charge for their work on a single item? what quality of work and finish?

Jul 30, 2012 at 02:01 PM
bitmaker
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · Is there a machinist in the house?

DennisC wrote:
Would a job like this be too small for a shop to mess with?

Thanks for reading?

Yep, this will be a loss leader even if you can find a shop to do it. I don't like seeing these sorts of jobs come into my shop... impossible not to lose money on it. I'd recommend looking for someone (for instance, a retired machinist who has a small shop in his garage) who mustn't necessarily be concerned with meeting the bottom line. Don't expect him to provide anodizing (will have to be jobbed out) without a stiff cost.

Good luck,

Greg

Jul 30, 2012 at 02:09 PM
DennisC
• • •
p.1 #4 · Is there a machinist in the house?

Thanks, Greg; just what I needed to hear to set me straight

Jul 30, 2012 at 02:34 PM
James R
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · Is there a machinist in the house?

I'm certain Wimberly's designs are patented, which would stop any shop from copying its design.

Jul 30, 2012 at 02:41 PM
Mr Kris
• •
p.1 #6 · Is there a machinist in the house?

If you don't care how "ugly" it is.... you could take a hacksaw to the main vertical column, and then drill and tap holes in both halves, and then connect with a longer piece of flat aluminum or steel rod. Could even have different rods to make different lengths.

Or you could ask a shop to do that for you if you're not handy or afraid to take a hacksaw to your $200 bracket Form over function for me, so I've done more dramatic things to more expensive equipment haha.

Jul 30, 2012 at 03:12 PM
Mr Kris
• •
p.1 #7 · Is there a machinist in the house?

Or I just thought of a less destructive idea- get a shop to take a length of 3/4" aluminum rod, or whatever diameter is convenient, and drill and tap both ends for 1/4"-20. Stick a stud on one side to mount a flash bracket, and stick the other end in the existing mounting spot.

Jul 30, 2012 at 03:14 PM
Smiert Spionam
• • • •
p.1 #8 · Is there a machinist in the house?

An extension post from Wimberley is $43. That seems very reasonable, and I can't imagine anyone offering to make you one for less.

Jul 30, 2012 at 03:19 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

DennisC
• • •
p.1 #9 · Is there a machinist in the house?

All, thanks for stopping by.

Smiert Spionam wrote:
An extension post from Wimberley is $43. That seems very reasonable, and I can't imagine anyone offering to make you one for less.

My problem is that I need about 3 or 4 of them to get enough separation Red eye is not such a problem to correct in post, but demon eye is darn near impossible.

That said, I'll scrounge around and try some sort of DIY contraption.

Thanks again, folks.

Jul 30, 2012 at 03:26 PM
Mr Kris
• •
p.1 #10 · Is there a machinist in the house?

Hmm... how much separation do you need exactly? Would it be better to just use a separate light stand?

Jul 30, 2012 at 05:08 PM
DennisC
• • •
p.1 #11 · Is there a machinist in the house?

Believe me, I've thought about a light stand, but not practical running up/down the sidelines.

Jul 30, 2012 at 05:11 PM
Ben Horne
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · Is there a machinist in the house?

DennisC wrote:
Believe me, I've thought about a light stand, but not practical running up/down the sidelines.

When I shot sports, I use to mount the flash down low by super clamping it to my monopod. It reduced redeye by getting the flash further from the lens, and also helped to get some light under those football helmets.

Jul 30, 2012 at 05:22 PM
Zebrabot
• • •
p.1 #13 · Is there a machinist in the house?

I can't figure out what it is you want, but if it's any sort of rod or pole or pole with threads of any sort, PM me, I may be interested in making it.

Jul 30, 2012 at 05:56 PM
10-75

p.1 #14 · Is there a machinist in the house?

www.emachineshop.com

Download their ap and make one yourself........

Jul 30, 2012 at 06:06 PM
philipj
• • •
p.1 #15 · Is there a machinist in the house?

I work in a university, and we have our own machine shop in my department. Internal jobs are $22/hr, below cost. Outside our department (but still affiliated with the university) it jumps to $45/hr and are likely at cost. Industry/external jobs clock in at ~$100/hr. I don't think this is abnormal.

So, $43 bucks for the exact part you need/want (if Smiert is correct) seems reasonable to me.

Jul 31, 2012 at 08:34 PM
supergimp

p.1 #16 · Is there a machinist in the house?

Ben Horne wrote:
When I shot sports, I use to mount the flash down low by super clamping it to my monopod. It reduced redeye by getting the flash further from the lens, and also helped to get some light under those football helmets.

This.

Aug 01, 2012 at 05:12 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password