Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2012 · PDF Generator

ckhagen
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · PDF Generator

This is an odd question, but figured someone here might know...

I'm trying to make a few PDFs from PSD/JPG files for my wedding pricing. I know how to make them in Preview, but of course they're coming out massively huge and reducing the size with ColorSync Utility/Quartz Filters isn't working without destroying the quality.

So, is there anyone out there that you can send your files to and pay them to make a high quality, decently sized file that's properly compressed? I don't want to pay $400 for Acrobat... I just want a way to pay per play.

Jul 30, 2012 at 05:58 AM
LivLif
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · PDF Generator

Do you use a Mac? iWork will do it. If you don't you can email me the jpgs and I'll convert them for you. Just let me know.

Jul 30, 2012 at 06:13 AM
Tony Hoffer
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · PDF Generator

No matter which way you go, you won't get a smaller file size unless you remake them. PSD and JPG files are bitmap files, meaning that all text, white space, ect. uses pixels and therefore file size. You need the PDF to be based on vector art which uses shapes and saves file size. Ultimately, you need to make the documents in a program like InDesign that is capable of exporting PDFs while maintaining vector graphics.

Jul 30, 2012 at 06:14 AM
amonline
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · PDF Generator

You can play with the "press quality" output settings to get what you're asking Candice. It's been a while since I've done one, but it is possible. That's how I've done it in the past. It's capable of resizing at a much better quality than the default "optimize" settings.

Talking about Acrobat Pro, of course.

Jul 30, 2012 at 06:20 AM
ckhagen
• • • •
p.1 #5 · PDF Generator

Tony, unfortunately I built these from premade templates in PSDs and I was aware this might be possible, but I don't keep a copy of inDesign since I don't work with it anymore (outsource albums and I don't design anymore).

Jul 30, 2012 at 06:25 AM
amonline
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · PDF Generator

Candice, I just confirmed...

Just go to print, and select Adobe PDF. Change the page setup default settings to "press quality". Click edit, then images, and change all the resamples to 72ppi. The original ppi will change automatically. Save a temporary job option and then you're good to go. I just did a full res RAW down to 8x10 at 119k. Quality is what you're looking for. Looks just like the full size. (for 72ppi) You can raise the ppi if you desire, but I see no need. If you have text, you may want up to 144, but it's going to start jumping in size. 144's about 300k for the size I'm talking about. (per page)

Jul 30, 2012 at 06:30 AM
ckhagen
• • • •
p.1 #7 · PDF Generator

Alan... you mean with Acrobat? That's just it I'm trying to avoid buying Acrobat.

I just did some working around and got it reduced by about half... dumb things I should've thought of first like flattening everything, dropping the jpgs to screen resolution first, etc.. Still not a small file size, but better than before.

Jul 30, 2012 at 06:47 AM
amonline
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · PDF Generator

I meant print from PS, but you might need Acrobat to see the options I'm seeing. I'm not sure about that part.

If you can't get it to work, you can upload your final files and point me to them. I'll make you a PDF. PM me one page (full size jpg) if you want to test it. I'll check in the morning.

Jul 30, 2012 at 06:53 AM
louloulou
• • •
p.1 #9 · PDF Generator

Do you have Publisher? Insert your jpeg image onto a page in Publisher (probably works for MS Word too?) and save as a PDF. Your file should be much much smaller .

ETA: just checked, it does work in MS Word too

Jul 30, 2012 at 09:48 AM
Matt B.
• • •
p.1 #10 · PDF Generator

Candice, check out a program called Nitro PDF.

I'm pretty sure it will give you that "PDF printer" that Alan mentioned, and allow you to convert any document into a PDF with a variety of settings.

I also think it's full retail price is less than $75, maybe even cheaper if a promo code is out on Google somewhere.

Jul 30, 2012 at 10:18 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

TomHarmon
• • •
p.1 #11 · PDF Generator

If you can get your hands on Acrobat Pro, you can "Save as reduced file". I do it all the time and it really cuts down the size of the file without sacrificing quality.

Jul 30, 2012 at 11:21 AM
S-Man23
• •
p.1 #12 · PDF Generator

I keep a copy of CS2 on my computer strictly to make PDFs from JPEGs. 7-page wedding pamphlet is ~1 MB.
Supposedly you can make them in Bridge now but I never could get it to export correctly.

Jul 30, 2012 at 11:59 AM
maxwell1295
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · PDF Generator

I think PrimoPDF is what you want. It has options for different quality levels when converting files to PDF.

And it's free...

Jul 30, 2012 at 01:16 PM
Sergio Mottola
• • • •
p.1 #14 · PDF Generator

i'm not sure why, but i can go to file-print, and there is a little pdf dropdown box.

Jul 30, 2012 at 02:19 PM
ricardovaste
• • • •
p.1 #15 · PDF Generator

I do this with the .psd or jpeg files I make in CS5. I then use bridge to create the PDF files, quality is excellent, and the size I want. If you're still struggling with this then drop me a message and I may be able to help (I have little experience with this btw, but what I do is very straight forward).

EDIT: What are you calling massively huge? For example, I have a 12 page PDF, which is 1600px on the longest, at 72ppi, quality 85%. It's around 5MB, which is fine for me.

May 30, 2013 at 10:51 AM
jefferies1
• • • •
p.1 #16 · PDF Generator

You can use Open Office which is free to download. It is like Microsoft Office. It will convert to PDF and offers different qualities.

May 30, 2013 at 02:46 PM
paparazzinick
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · PDF Generator

Candace, you said preview which means youre using a mac

In preview with the pdf open, go to file, export and choose pdf. you will see at the bottom of the screen an option for filters. use reduce file size.

if you need help, email me nick at photosbynick dot come and I will send screen shots when I get home this evening.

I do this all the time. takes my 20 mb files down to under 1mb.

May 30, 2013 at 03:08 PM
DavidCZ
• • •
p.1 #18 · PDF Generator

maxwell1295 wrote:
I think PrimoPDF is what you want. It has options for different quality levels when converting files to PDF.

And it's free...

+1 on PrimoPDF.

I have both PrimoPDF and Acrobat Pro.

I end up using PrimoPDF, since it is a lot faster and easier to use than Acrobat Pro. Best of all, it is free. I deleted Acrobat Pro from my computer a year go.

You can download it here:
http://www.primopdf.com/

May 30, 2013 at 08:23 PM
amonline
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · PDF Generator

ONE YEAR OLD THREAD

May 30, 2013 at 08:40 PM
NathanHamler
• • • •
p.1 #20 · PDF Generator

Lololol love when old stuff gets dug up...

May 31, 2013 at 02:48 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password