Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · large group portraits

Bullseye5d2
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · large group portraits

what lens do you prefer for large group portraits ? (like 50 people or more....)

I did one with my 35L but it wasn't right, people in the edges were too distorted, and they weren't even completely to the edge of the frame

Jul 30, 2012 at 02:59 AM
Ernie Aubert
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · large group portraits

I haven't shot that many, but I have done groups of 25 or so. It all depends, of course, on how far you can get from the group. I like the 50L on my 5D II, but I'm intending to try the next one with a Zeiss 35/2 on a 1D IV; then I'll decide which I prefer.

Jul 30, 2012 at 03:05 AM
Bullseye5d2
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · large group portraits

I would not have been able to get far enough to use a 50mm...

Jul 30, 2012 at 02:05 PM
Ernie Aubert
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · large group portraits

I see... that presents a problem, for sure. They used to use a rotating camera to do class photos when I was in school; I wonder if there's any such mechanism for digital. Short of that, the only way I can even imagine to avoid the perspective distortion inherent in a wide-angle lens might be to do a panoramic stitch from two or three exposures; but that seems unlikely to be feasible.

Jul 30, 2012 at 03:12 PM
jasonpatrick
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · large group portraits

I don't know if this is a best practices sort of thing...but I've used an ultra wide angle in the past. I purposly leave a lot of room on the edges (where distortion is the worst) and then cropped away the distorted edges so I'm just using the sweet spot of the glass. They usually they turn out OK - the bigger problem is getting everyone to look at the camera. Good luck!

Jul 30, 2012 at 03:18 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

BennyR
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · large group portraits

I did one with my 35L but it wasn't right, people in the edges were too distorted, and they weren't even completely to the edge of the frame

Did you run it through lens corrections? I think that would help. I'd think 35L would be a good choice but Jason's plan isn't bad either.

Jul 30, 2012 at 03:21 PM
WestFalcon
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · large group portraits

I do these shota all the time.....I usually use a canon 24-70L at about F8 and ISO 400. I have a white lightning flash at about 10 feet over my head .......I get up on a short ladder and shoot....Easy shot and no distortions at F8.....No umbrella...that glares glasses too much...I do groups up to 70 all the time...I photoshop a nice title and thats it. I can get good results on a 580 EX flash too...yes you can light 70 people with this flash easily.

Edited on Aug 02, 2012 at 03:48 AM · View previous versions

Aug 02, 2012 at 02:56 AM
AJSJones
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · large group portraits

Bullseye5d2 wrote:
I would not have been able to get far enough to use a 50mm...

Then the only way is to get the people closer together - more rows of fewer people - and get you back up against the railing or wall or whatever limits you

WestFalcon's shots have some good tips too, but it seems like you couldn't get that far away

Aug 02, 2012 at 03:19 AM
bbasiaga
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · large group portraits

How about a stitch of 3 frames from one of the TS-E lenses? Works for landscapes!

Aug 02, 2012 at 03:30 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password