Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Adobe Bridge bug with picture order?

dwweiche
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Adobe Bridge bug with picture order?

Is there a known issue with Adobe Bridge and downloaded images getting out of sequence?

I've noticed images downloaded from my built in card reader occasionally are in the wrong order in a series of high-speed continuous shots. If I review in camera, the sequence is correct, but not always so after download.

The most recent incident was this weekend using my 1D3 at 10 fps shooting softball. In this instance I downloaded the images off my SD card, but I am fairly certain I have seen the same when downloading from the CF card.

I use Bridge (CS5) to rename the photos with the shooting date during the download.

Jul 30, 2012 at 02:32 AM
James_N
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Adobe Bridge bug with picture order?

I don't use the download function for Adobe Bridge or Lightroom but it looks like you're running into a limitation of that function. I seem to recall that previous versions of Bridge did not use the subsecond timing in the EXIF metadata when downloading and renaming files so I wouldn't be surprised if this still exists in the current version of the software.

I use Downloader Pro from Breeze Systems and it handles subsecond timing just fine; but the manual does state that it only works when downloading from a card reader. The workaround in Adobe Bridge would be to rename your file in a date/time/millisecond format, then sort on file name. To get the date/time/millisecond format correctly in the Adobe Batch Renamer you will have to set up two lines of formatting; one for the date/time format and another for the milliseconds. If you want a spacer between the Date/Time and milliseconds you can insert a text field and use the _ (underscore) as a spacer.

Jul 30, 2012 at 04:00 AM
dwweiche
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Adobe Bridge bug with picture order?

Just so I am clear, you are suggesting renaming after I have already downloaded, correct?

Thanks for the tip, I will try that. I guess I could just drag and drop and then rename as a second step, but I am (mostly) fond of the relatively quick and simple Bridge interface.

Jul 30, 2012 at 04:21 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

James_N
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Adobe Bridge bug with picture order?

You can drag and drop to sort but if you have hundreds or thousands of files then it could be really a chore.

Yes, I was talking about renaming AFTER downloading, then sorting by filename to get all the files in the correct time sequence. As far as I know the "Get Photos from Camera" function does not have the option to show milliseconds so you'll have to do it after the files are downloaded since the Adobe Batch Rename function can be configured to show milliseconds.

Jul 30, 2012 at 04:26 AM
Alan321
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Adobe Bridge bug with picture order?

If you download in file name order whether from card reader or camera, they should all be in the correct sequence because the camera should have numbered them that way. Time sequences may get confused because several images could have the same time stamp due to lack of precision. Not all cameras record the sub second times and so even a program that wants to use them may not be able to.

My file renaming includes date, time, camera folder number and camera image number so they are always in the correct sequence.

Aug 03, 2012 at 03:49 PM
dwweiche
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Adobe Bridge bug with picture order?

Alan, yes you're right of course. If I just pulled them all off as written in the camera, the sequence would be preserved.

I just set up a batch rename based on YYYYMMDD-HHMMSS-Millisec-SequenceNo and this re-sorted everything properly both from my 7D shots and my 1DIII shots. I'll continue to do this going forward.

Thanks for the help guys.

Aug 05, 2012 at 03:34 AM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password