Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Focus with EVF on NEX 5N

esanchez
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · Focus with EVF on NEX 5N

Is it easier to focus manual lenses on the NEX 5N with the EVF? I have been thinking about buying the EVF or buying a NEX 7 for the EVF. I want to buy some manual lenses but I'm not sure if it's easy to focus the manual lenses with the EVF.

Jul 30, 2012 at 02:03 AM
mawz
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · Focus with EVF on NEX 5N

esanchez wrote:
Is it easier to focus manual lenses on the NEX 5N with the EVF? I have been thinking about buying the EVF or buying a NEX 7 for the EVF. I want to buy some manual lenses but I'm not sure if it's easy to focus the manual lenses with the EVF.

It's extremely easy to focus manual lenses with the EVF, definitely easier than with the rear LCD as you have a higher-resolution display (0.8MP vs 0.3MP actual resolution, the dot resolution counts all three sub-pixels to give more impressive numbers) and a clearer view of it. You have two different types of focus assist: peaking, which takes practice to judge and can be inaccurate with low-contrast scenes or very shallow DoF, and magnification, which is 100% accurate but can be a pain with longer lenses hand-held.I use a mix of both with the NEX-7, as I did with the 5N before I upgraded. Frankly, I find the Sony EVF to be superior to any OVF (TTL or RF) for accurate focusing.

There are other issues with EVF's though, most notably lag in tracking fast-moving objects, a greater susceptibility to problems from light leakage (amplified by the lousy Eyecup on the NEX EVF's) and the fact you need to pick between a high-contrast display with blocked shadows for good peaking performance or a lower contrast display without blocked shadows. Note these settings are achieved by using different JPEG settings, for many reasons I don't really recommend shooting JPEG on Sony cameras for serious shooters, RAW is required to get anywhere near the maximum IQ the camera is capable of, JPEG settings should be used to control the EVF/LCD display. Some users also find the low frame rate of the LV feed in really low light to be disconcerting or problematical.

Jul 30, 2012 at 02:17 AM
snapsy
• • • •
p.1 #3 · Focus with EVF on NEX 5N

Easier to focus and definitely easier to stabilize the camera.

Jul 30, 2012 at 03:53 AM
slungu
• • •
p.1 #4 · Focus with EVF on NEX 5N

That is something that I am also interested in, since my M-mount lenses with adapter all focus past infinity so using the mechanical infinity focus is not an option and with the LCD it is still a hard thing to do even with a 35mm lens.

Regards, Stefan

Jul 30, 2012 at 09:46 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

TSY87
• • •
p.1 #5 · Focus with EVF on NEX 5N

I actually prefer the flexible EVF option on the nex5n over the rigid nex7. Problem is, I much prefer the nex-7 overall over the 5n.

I strictly use MF lenses on my nex-7.

Jul 30, 2012 at 08:07 PM
JimBuchanan
• • •
p.1 #6 · Focus with EVF on NEX 5N

slungu wrote:
That is something that I am also interested in, since my M-mount lenses with adapter all focus past infinity so using the mechanical infinity focus is not an option and with the LCD it is still a hard thing to do even with a 35mm lens.

Regards, Stefan

You may want to try shimming the adapter. Use brass shim material and start with maybe .002" thick. I think my adapter needed about .004".

Jul 30, 2012 at 08:27 PM
slungu
• • •
p.1 #7 · Focus with EVF on NEX 5N

I had an attempt with aluminium but I was somehow worry that I might introduce other problems if the shiming is not exactly the same thickness around the mount, so dicarded that possibility in the end. Maybe I should try it again.

Regards, Stefan

Jul 31, 2012 at 10:02 AM
mMontag
• • • •
p.1 #8 · Focus with EVF on NEX 5N

Stefan,

Try aluminum tape - very easy to work with - press it on oversized - trim it to fit with a new sharp razor.

Jul 31, 2012 at 01:13 PM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password