Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · A Trash the Dress shoot in Maine

Cassario
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · A Trash the Dress shoot in Maine

For anyone that is interested, just wanted to share some shots that we took up in Maine, Trash the Dress style, with our new D800. Not sure if Im allowed to post the link like this but I dont ever post so I apologize if this isnt allowed. Just wanted to share some shots with you guys...
http://www.cassimaging.com/p842698416

Jul 30, 2012 at 02:02 AM
Cassario
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · A Trash the Dress shoot in Maine

no thoughts? likes...dislikes? Just wanted to get some opinions.

Jul 30, 2012 at 12:26 PM
lisy78
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · A Trash the Dress shoot in Maine

You're not making it particularly easy to see the images and or comment on the specific ones

Ideally you'd want to link in 10 or so so that they show up in the post itself... much more likely to get comments.

Anyway...

I like 22 a lot (BW her looking to the right). 4 is cool as well.

I'm not a huge fan of most of them for a couple of reasons:

1. Many are underexposed. Thankfully that's something you should be able to fix without a problem with your D800 provided you shot RAW

2. The posing isn't all that... it looks forced... she does not look happy... it's almost as if it's a we're getting divorced trash the dress thing (did the dress get set on fire at the end?!?!?) but even if that's the case it looks like an "I'm depressed that we're getting divorced and I'm burning my dress" ratehr than a "screw the bastard, girl-power" approach :P

3. I'm disappointed that you had a pretty spectacular backdrop at one point... with the rocks and the fog in the BG... and you posed her sitting down, legs to the camera, which means her legs disappeared and she looks like a legless torso.

Ciao!

Alessandro

Jul 30, 2012 at 12:38 PM
Cassario
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · A Trash the Dress shoot in Maine

Thanks Lisy, much appreciated. I wasnt able to post any pics, or couldnt figure out how, sorry about that. I have a feeling the underexposure is due to the monitor Im using, I edited these on my laptop and have a feeling they are all a little darker than I wanted them to be.
I do agree with the posing, and the depressed look, which is the look she wanted to go with. Yes, we set the bottom portion on fire at the end.
Thanks for the comments, Im gonna take a look at them on my good monitor in a little bit to see if they are all a little more underexposed then I had wanted.
I appreciate it!

Jul 30, 2012 at 12:44 PM
Marcus Watts
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · A Trash the Dress shoot in Maine

Some nice work in there. The ones going into the water don't really work.

Most trash the dress sessions don't work because there is no context for the image. Without something to create a story in the picture it's just putting a girl in water and so what.

Any reason for setting the dress on fire?

Jul 30, 2012 at 02:24 PM
stevez32
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · A Trash the Dress shoot in Maine

lisy78 wrote:
You're not making it particularly easy to see the images and or comment on the specific ones

Ideally you'd want to link in 10 or so so that they show up in the post itself... much more likely to get comments.

Anyway...

I like 22 a lot (BW her looking to the right). 4 is cool as well.

I'm not a huge fan of most of them for a couple of reasons:

1. Many are underexposed. Thankfully that's something you should be able to fix without a problem with your D800 provided you shot RAW

2. The posing isn't all that... it looks forced...
...Show more

+1

Jul 30, 2012 at 03:03 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Tony Hoffer
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · A Trash the Dress shoot in Maine

I was going to comment, but then I read Ale's and he's spot on.

The three biggest issues I see here are underexposure, a sad looking subject and unflattering posing. But I don't necessarily think that the first two are always bad (see fashion photography), it's just that when you have a girl in a wedding dress it looks pretty odd. If this was a shoot for a woman going through a divorce it would make a lot more sense to me.

Jul 30, 2012 at 03:09 PM
Cassario
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · A Trash the Dress shoot in Maine

Thanks everyone. It was not the usual 'Trash the Dress' shoot where the bride is bad ass and girl power throwing the groom to the side leaving him at the alter. This was an idea to just tell a different story, where the bride had regrets the next day and is lost not knowing where to turn, I guess it would need a story to follow, but it was just an idea for a shoot that she had. The ones where she is on the rock is supposed to seem like she is almost hiding.
I guess when I said Trash the Dress, I probably shouldnt have...just didnt know what else to call it. Yes, we burned the dress at the end, with the idea of the story ending, the bride burning the dress giving up, and leaving it behind.

Jul 30, 2012 at 03:35 PM
Cassario
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · A Trash the Dress shoot in Maine

Do you guys like the shoot better knowing the story behind it...just trying to do a creative and different shoot. Something we hadnt seen before, Trash the Dress shoots are always the same, thought I would switch it up...

Jul 30, 2012 at 03:37 PM
Marcus Watts
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · A Trash the Dress shoot in Maine

I do think the story is a bit harsh but then not too many question John Michael Cooper's work and that is dark and creepy. But with JMC'S work there is more story telling in the image. It does leave some to the imagination whereas your shots required a fuller explanation.

As a side note for future projects it is ok to cheat the viewer. That is to say the burning dress concept would have been better had the whole dress been lit up. A white sheet would have sufficed in it's place at that point.

Jul 30, 2012 at 03:48 PM
Cassario
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · A Trash the Dress shoot in Maine

True, thanks Marcus. This was my first attempt at telling a story like this, or a shoot like this at all, so I wanted to use the great scenery and envirnment to my advantage and bring the story to life with the shoot, Im thankful for all the advice, as it definitely shows that the pics alone dont tell the story, but I guess Im not sure what else to do to tell the story other than give a little verbage to it. I just didnt want to do the same old Trash the Dress shoot, like everyone else, wanted to go for a different feel, using a different scenery and envirnment. I appreciate the comments.

Jul 30, 2012 at 03:52 PM
SloPhoto
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · A Trash the Dress shoot in Maine

What is the symbolism behind the dress burning, did she get divorced?

*edit* should have read this thread.

Jul 30, 2012 at 04:11 PM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password