Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · CP filter and long lenses

nugeny
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · CP filter and long lenses

Fast long lens is at a premium. Most people refer to it as a second mortgage.
Now the question is shooting with CP filter. This filters are glued to my short lenses. i love the sharpness and contrast that I get from this filter. But long lenses?400 mm and longer? I would lose 2 stops, that would defeat the purpose of getting an expensive fast long lens.
So for the ones who have experences with long lenses, Do you use this filter often? if not, when do you use it.
For wildlife and sports,, is this filter an advantage or disadvantage for long lenses?

Jul 29, 2012 at 11:14 PM
trenchmonkey
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · CP filter and long lenses

You don't HAVE to lose 2 stops...there are 2/3's and 1 stop options available by swapping them
out with the wheeled OEM drop-in glass. Bob Singh will do it (LB) and there's now a Hoya to fit
the bill. I love using 'em early and late...especially around water.

Singh Ray LB dropped inna 200 f2 VR/TC-14E II combo
No loss of details...the 24X30 print is absolutely stunning

NIKON D3    280mm    f/3.5    1/1600s    400 ISO    -0.3 EV  

Jul 29, 2012 at 11:27 PM
trenchmonkey
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · CP filter and long lenses

Yeah, that's not "long" but I used a Pol quite a bit with the 300 f2.8 VR w/TC-17E II for a poor man's 500.
(had that ^ file handy, but hopefully you still get the point)

Jul 30, 2012 at 12:00 AM
nugeny
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · CP filter and long lenses

trenchmonkey wrote:
Yeah, that's not "long" but I used a Pol quite a bit with the 300 f2.8 VR w/TC-17E II for a poor man's 500.
(had that ^ file handy, but hopefully you still get the point)

Thanks, Trench. That is a good option. i will look in to this possibility. So you don't have solution for CP? For long lenses, you don't use it at all. For all the sport activities, rodeo..., I bet you don't use any filter?

Jul 30, 2012 at 01:07 AM
Roland W
• • •
p.1 #5 · CP filter and long lenses

The logic of "I would lose 2 stops, that would defeat the purpose of getting an expensive fast long lens" does not make sense. If you want a polarizer, you are going to loose light. If you put it on a slow lens, you will be that much darker than putting it on a fast lens. Having the fast long lens allows for easier use of a polarizer in low light, and gives you the choice of what you want to try. Changing out a polarizer on a super telephoto is actually faster than changing a screw on polarizer. And remember that the newer camera bodies have several stops more light sensitivity for the same quality of image, so putting the ISO up a ways can be mixed in as an option.

I love my Canon drop in polarizer on my Canon 300 f2.8, and use it in a lot of situations, including wildlife and landscape, as well as most any shot that may have haze from having distant backgrounds. At times I also even use it with a 1.4 extender. I have never bothered trying to upgrade the glass in the drop in polarizer to get less light loss, and may consider that some day, but for now, it all works great for me.

Jul 30, 2012 at 01:51 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

nugeny
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · CP filter and long lenses

Roland W wrote:
The logic of "I would lose 2 stops, that would defeat the purpose of getting an expensive fast long lens" does not make sense. If you want a polarizer, you are going to loose light. If you put it on a slow lens, you will be that much darker than putting it on a fast lens. Having the fast long lens allows for easier use of a polarizer in low light, and gives you the choice of what you want to try. Changing out a polarizer on a super telephoto is actually faster than changing a screw on polarizer.
...Show more
That makes sense. In fact, I try to use this filter as often as I can.
One question: what do you mean by :" I have never bothered trying to upgrade the glass in the drop in polarizer to get less light loss,"
Do you mean there are CP that gets less light loss than the other? I thought 2 stops is the norm, law of physics??

Jul 31, 2012 at 02:54 PM
Roland W
• • •
p.1 #7 · CP filter and long lenses

The second post in the thread is Trenchmonkey saying that it is possible to get the glass of a drop in filter upgraded to a version that has less light loss. Singh Ray has I think offered this for a long time, but I do not see a specific listing for it on their site. The LB that he refered to is a filter type from Singh Ray. I am not familar with the Hoya option he mentioned, but may want to look in to that to learn more. Here is the link to the Singh Ray LB polarizer filters. http://www.singh-ray.com/polarizers.html

I am not sure of the physics to know of a firm number for a limit, but I think the "best" possible may be around 1 stop of exposure "loss". It all depends on the exact nature of the filter construction, but it is much more common for many polarizers to be around 2 stops of exposure loss as you mentioned. The actual loss in a real shot will always depend on the mix of the polarization of light, plus of course the setting of the polarizer.

Jul 31, 2012 at 05:26 PM
dasams
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #8 · CP filter and long lenses

nugeny wrote:
Fast long lens is at a premium. Most people refer to it as a second mortgage.
Now the question is shooting with CP filter. This filters are glued to my short lenses. i love the sharpness and contrast that I get from this filter. But long lenses?400 mm and longer? I would lose 2 stops, that would defeat the purpose of getting an expensive fast long lens.

Subject isolation, not shutter speed, is the primary reason I bought a 200 f2. I also leave the CP in place and adjust it for minimal filtering in low light situations. dave

Jul 31, 2012 at 06:08 PM
nugeny
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · CP filter and long lenses

dasams wrote:
Subject isolation, not shutter speed, is the primary reason I bought a 200 f2. I also leave the CP in place and adjust it for minimal filtering in low light situations. dave

"Subject isolation'. That was the magic word! That was why I bought the 400.28 vr instead of the ever popular 500/4 and paid more.

Aug 01, 2012 at 02:47 AM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password