Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       4       end

Archive 2012 · 40mm - made in country

jojosung
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #1 · 40mm - made in country

iphone and ipad are made in chinas.. and ppl have no problem with that.

in the early age of mobile phone.. when Nokia was king..
they do have -
Made In Finland vs. Made By Nokia..

Made By Nokia can be made in Korea, China, etc..

People will actually return the phone, in hope of getting one that say "Made In Finland"

Also, when new model come out, they'll ask for the Origin.

Jul 31, 2012 at 04:17 PM
thinkpadfans
• • •
p.3 #2 · 40mm - made in country

dolina wrote:
It's a cheap lens.

You want made in Japan, USA or Europe? Pay a premium.

Again, who cares where it is made so long as it works and it isn't a L lens.

I care where the L lens is made because of the price premium Canon charges. Why should I pay the same for a product produced by expensive or cheap labor?

I own 50L, 35L and 40mm. Good thing is that I can safely say that the IQ of 40mm from F2.8 and up is as good, if not better than 50L and 35L.

For the money, it is definitely a winner. Which country? I don't care personally. The build quality is quite good.

Aug 01, 2012 at 12:10 AM
Breitling65
• • • • •
p.3 #3 · 40mm - made in country

dolina wrote:
It's not an L lens. So who cares where it is made.

And would you care if it is L?

Aug 01, 2012 at 01:23 AM
thinkpadfans
• • •
p.3 #4 · 40mm - made in country

Breitling65 wrote:
And would you care if it is L?

probably

Aug 01, 2012 at 01:28 AM
Wahoowa
• • •
p.3 #5 · 40mm - made in country

I'd be worried if it's an L lens.

Japanese have been known, at least around Asia countries, that they are very protective of their "secrets". That's why it took them so long before they actually had any plants outside Japan. (I'm not talking only about Canon here.) You can probably notice that most Japanese companies will keep their high-end item productions within their country. At most for a high-end item, they will have things partially assembled outside Japan and then shipped back to work on the rest. Otherwise, why do you think we have yet seen a semi-pro DSLR or an L lens made outside Japan?

Basically, what I'm saying is anything made elsewhere will not contain the best of the technologies.

Maybe, things will start to change in the future and Japanese will be less protective of their secrets. But I'll be lying if I say I'm not worried about an L lens made elsewhere.

Aug 20, 2012 at 07:56 PM
Ralph Conway
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #6 · 40mm - made in country

What secrets? With the first sold item every secret has gone ...

Aug 20, 2012 at 08:30 PM
RobertLynn
• • • • • •
p.3 #7 · 40mm - made in country

I know as far as guitars are concerned typically imports were pieces of crap compared to us counter parts. The exceptions were usually stellar as well.

During the 90's Jackson guitars had a line of professional series guitars made in Japan that were identical if not superior to the USA counter parts, at a fraction of the price.

Now that same company has guitars made in India that are shoddy at best in comparison to even the Japanese counter parts.

I have owned over 20 USA jackson guitars and at present own 2 USA SL2H guitars. I also own a Japanese made slsmg (2010 I believe is it's year) and a 1986 charvel model 5 that was made in japan. The workmanship is indistinguishable and fantastic. I cannot find any fault on any of them and they could have been made at the same factory for all I know.

The difference is there is Cnc machining, yes, but a lot of hand fitting and crafting. Some countries hit don't have the technicians and craftsmanship that others do, yet. India for example that line of guitars I mentioned, I've seem a few that are absolutely fantastic and then a whole lot where someone must've been asleep building them.

I'm not sure how much of the process of lens making is hands on vs machine made, but I would assume that anything being made in a country that has an abundance of skilled craftsman and technicians would turn out well, especially of a good quality control program is implemented.

I wouldn't worry about country of origin in something like this, at least I don't think I would. I honestly have no idea where any of my lenses/cameras are made.

Aug 20, 2012 at 08:45 PM
RobertLynn
• • • • • •
p.3 #8 · 40mm - made in country

I also know the boss made in Japan fx pedals get a premium over Taiwan made ones.

I will say this, it is long thought (music industry) that the Japanese have the best craftsman of any eastern country.

Aug 20, 2012 at 08:48 PM
rscheffler
• • • •
p.3 #9 · 40mm - made in country

Ralph Conway wrote:
What secrets? With the first sold item every secret has gone ...

Accumulated knowledge and experience seems to be a significant factor in lens manufacture, including glass manufacture and can't easily be reverse engineered. But if that experience is moved from Japan to another country, yet still controlled by Canon in this case, would it matter?

My guess is in the next decade we'll see a lot of advanced optical manufacture coming out of other countries. Look at Samyang's lenses. Excellent value for the money. Kind of reminds me of Hyundai's entry into the NA car market. The early cars were competitive based on price rather than technical quality. And now? But the Samyang lenses are already beyond this because in addition to being price competitive, they're optically very good. Then there is the Noctilux clone made by SLRMagic. It's not as elegant a design as the Leica lens, but pretty much on-par optically, yet less than half the price...

If Canon moves L series production outside Japan, it won't result in lower consumer prices. Rather, it will be a strategy to either retain current price points, or as little price increase as possible, while allowing the greatest margins.

Maybe that's what's taking so long for 24-70 II and 200-400 production...

Aug 20, 2012 at 09:56 PM
M Lucca
• • •
p.3 #10 · 40mm - made in country

Aren't Nikon d800 or d-whatever made in Thailand nowadays?

Malaysia makes alot of computer parts. I believe Western Digital and Seagate have plants there too. Bah I don't care. Seems like asian countries are manufacturing all the gadgets.
Canada is turning into a farmland and US is turning into a wasteland.

Aug 20, 2012 at 09:57 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Mescalamba
• • • •
p.3 #11 · 40mm - made in country

Breitling65 wrote:
Just got one and seems great lens, anybody noticed and care about made in Malaysia words on it? Is it new factory there? Any other Canon lenses made there, and do you have any quality concerns? Would you buy expensive L made there instead of Japan? I am fine as long as price sticker is same as on this lens as well as IQ and size

Quality testing is what matters. Not where its made. Unless we are talking North Korea or Iran, but then that doesnt happen.

Aug 20, 2012 at 10:27 PM
Mescalamba
• • • •
p.3 #12 · 40mm - made in country

M Lucca wrote:
Aren't Nikon d800 or d-whatever made in Thailand nowadays?

Malaysia makes alot of computer parts. I believe Western Digital and Seagate have plants there too. Bah I don't care. Seems like asian countries are manufacturing all the gadgets.
Canada is turning into a farmland and US is turning into a wasteland.

If Im correct only lower models are made outside Japan. D800 shouldnt be.

Aug 20, 2012 at 10:36 PM
Breitling65
• • • • •
p.3 #13 · 40mm - made in country

Mescalamba wrote:

Why not if it doesn't meter to you?

Aug 21, 2012 at 01:29 AM
Breitling65
• • • • •
p.3 #14 · 40mm - made in country

M Lucca wrote:
Malaysia makes alot of computer parts. I believe Western Digital and Seagate have plants there too.

Great example!!! I lost two of them this year, one each each. IBM hd's use to be best while made in US (long ago) but now they are merged hd's to Hitachi and quality is about same as WD or Seagate.

Aug 21, 2012 at 01:42 AM
Breitling65
• • • • •
p.3 #15 · 40mm - made in country

rscheffler wrote:

Same as Hundai or Kia, excellent value for the money, but somehow I prefer my Mercedes....
I know it is made with China made wires inside but final assembly is Germany!!!

Aug 21, 2012 at 01:44 AM
Chumma
• •
p.3 #16 · 40mm - made in country

Hopefully a lens made in China wouldn't smell like drywall made in China.

Aug 21, 2012 at 02:31 AM
Ralph Conway
• • • •
p.3 #17 · 40mm - made in country

Breitling65 wrote:
Same as Hundai or Kia, excellent value for the money, but somehow I prefer my Mercedes....
I know it is made with China made wires inside but final assembly is Germany!!!

Yes. And chinese tires atached to a car by german hands and craftmanship of course encreases the value of chinese tires very much ...

I do not know about car tires. But motor cycle tires made in china where bad a decade ago. It seems this has changed.

Aug 21, 2012 at 05:51 AM
Breitling65
• • • • •
p.3 #18 · 40mm - made in country

Ralph Conway wrote:
Yes. And chinese tires atached to a car by german hands and craftmanship of course encreases the value of chinese tires very much ...

I do not know about car tires. But motor cycle tires made in china where bad a decade ago. It seems this has changed.

Very surprising but you must know that Continental tires which is normally stock on MB are made in Germany Anyway it is going away of photography, I prefer L made in Japan even this new lens is very good one.

Aug 21, 2012 at 09:13 AM
David Baldwin
• • • •
p.3 #19 · 40mm - made in country

"if they start cranking out more $200 lenses with IQ like the 40 it can say "made in antarctica" on it for all I care"

well said!

Aug 21, 2012 at 10:17 AM
RobertLynn
• • • • • •
p.3 #20 · 40mm - made in country

Continental tires are yucky though, and its not because the are German.

Breitling65 wrote:
Very surprising but you must know that Continental tires which is normally stock on MB are made in Germany Anyway it is going away of photography, I prefer L made in Japan even this new lens is very good one.

Aug 21, 2012 at 12:04 PM
1       2      
       4       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       4       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password