Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Blown Hair

Pfiltz
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Blown Hair

Not sure if it's exposure or development. Using some old D-76 along with some old Stop. Had to scan twice to save the hair.

Anyway, 4x5 shot, Arista EDU 100. Developed in house. Shot with a Graphic View 4x5.

Jul 29, 2012 at 07:06 PM
killersnowman
• • • •
p.1 #2 · Blown Hair

while the tilt effects of a view camera can be used to really make an image pop, i feel this one misses the mark. just having the eyes in focus and then rapidly dropping off by the chin is just soo distracting. if you had your subject look up a bit more and match that with the tilt so that the face stayed sharp but the neck and shirt where still oof it would have been much nicer.

good to see you using the view cam though! and the processing and development look rather nice.

Jul 29, 2012 at 09:47 PM
Pfiltz
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · Blown Hair

thanks

Jul 29, 2012 at 09:59 PM
Jim Rickards
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · Blown Hair

An interesting character and I like the area by the eyes, but I agree with killersnowman about the OOF areas.

Always good to see you try new things.

Jul 29, 2012 at 10:01 PM

hardlyboring
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · Blown Hair

Why the tilt?
I find it funny that like 90% of people who shoot 4x5 (that are not landscape shooters) tilt and shift like crazy all the time. I am not sure if it is just because they can or what....

I have a speed graphic and hardly ever shoot it but shoot about 50 shots a week on my Graflexs which do not have tilt or shift.
To me the 4x5 look is somewhat lost in the tilt and shift for portraits. I would have much rather seen this shot straight on at like f5.6 or f8 with no tilt. That close (assuming you did not crop much) it would have been amazing and SOOO sharp. You would have seen a life's worth of wrinkles and had a striking portrait.

The shot is cool and ok but I think the tilt takes away from it a bit.

Jul 29, 2012 at 11:58 PM
Pfiltz
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · Blown Hair

hardlyboring wrote:
Why the tilt?
I find it funny that like 90% of people who shoot 4x5 (that are not landscape shooters) tilt and shift like crazy all the time.

No sweat on the tilt/shift comments, or any comment for that matter... I guess if you buy a tilt shift lens, you use it. I figure I'll use the camera movements since I have the capability to do so. I enjoy looking at some other photographers work out in Cali that use tilts/swings for portrait work as well.

This is my 3rd shot with the camera, and 1st with a face in it. It was hard to see exactly what I was getting due to the area in which I was working, while they we're selling produce. I was in front of her, and behind a produce table. Approx 3 ft. working area.

I was actually squatting like a senior dude image all the while trying to see what I was getting on the ground glass.

I'll find my way with the camera and get dialed in, before my trip to Seattle to shoot landscapes and portraits in Sept. Hoping to shoot with it again this week, with a person in front of it, -vs- a building or something else.

Have a great evening.

Jul 30, 2012 at 12:39 AM
killersnowman
• • • •
p.1 #7 · Blown Hair

hardlyboring wrote:
To me the 4x5 look is somewhat lost in the tilt and shift for portraits.

for examples of great use of tilt on portraits take a look at some of Paolo Roversi's work. it demonstrates the most amazing use of tilt.

just cause one can tilt does not mean one should. but when done correctly it can be amazing. it must be subtle and almost like no tilt has been done but the effect is pronounced compared to no tilt

Jul 30, 2012 at 01:15 AM
pswann

p.1 #8 · Blown Hair

The eyes are pretty amazing. I was/am so struck by them that the rapid out of focus fall-off did not bother me. Nice work.

Jul 30, 2012 at 02:55 AM

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password