Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2012 · help me i am going INSANE (dust...)

aFrIcanSH
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · help me i am going INSANE (dust...)

Okay i have a big problem, i'm sure some of you guys have it too and its just the bloody issue of dealing with dust and gear. I've been shooting for over 6 years and i can NOT get over dust. It comes and goes in phases. 5 years back when i had a D40 i spent one summer just obsessing about sensor dust. Now its lens dust. And it's DRIVING ME MAD. I know that the dust doesn't affect my photos, it doesn't come up in my pics, affect flare or bokeh or anything. I do macro, but with the D800 i haven't. However even with my previous D300 and a dust "clogged" 105mm, the pictures still came out fantastic.

I've got the 24G, 50 1.2, 85 1.4G, 105VR and 70-300mm VR. The 70-300 is pristine, i've hardly used it since i got it, but the primes are just infested with dust. Here the scale of my problem, much to do with my OCD:
i bought 200 lens tissues (pec pads?), eclipse lens cleaning solution, a new blower (giottos coco large, cause my old one is like 3 years old and i'm afriad i blow dust in), a new microfiber cloth. I spent the whole day today just cleaning the rear elements of my 24 50 and 85. I didn't even dare touch the 105mm cause the element is more recessed. And every time i cleaned, i wasn't satisfied. There'd be tiny specs, swirly smudges, anything to just tick me off and get me to try again. And again and again and again. After 4 hours i used FORTY lens tissues and my hands aching from blowing time and time again. I know this seems more related to my OCD, and it is scary. But basically i need help getting over the dust issue.

I had a timescale, say every few years i send my gear for cleaning and clean the lenses. I did clean my 105 at nikon and it came back cleaner, but still a tad dusty. SO i kinda used that as the standard to see how clean i should clean the rear element. But i never really managed to feel satisfied. I do plan to send the gear for a clean-up after i travel indonesia next summer.

Oh then i decided to peer into the camera and check out my sensor. I put in a few blows, then i realised this tiny dust bunny clinging to the side of the chamber. Stupidly enough, i used my finger to try to remove it and spread the dust all along the velvety surface in the camera. I have a strong feeling some of that stuff will get onto the sensor...........

Wow i am an idiot but i just can't help it. I know how stupid my actions are and i just want to stop bothering about these trivial things. Whats worse is i've been at it for 6 years and i haven't felt any less bothered by it than when i first started.

How do you cope with dust? Ideally i'd imagine myself to just be carefree,swap lenses without worry, not inspect my lenses with a torchlight, then bring my gear to clean every 2-3 years or so. I mean photography is meant to be enjoyed, and i've got great lenses, i just really want to stop being bogged down by worry over this issue.

Jul 29, 2012 at 03:59 PM
aFrIcanSH
• •
p.1 #2 · help me i am going INSANE (dust...)

i even considered selling the lenses and buying new copies of the same lenses, which is awfully stupid because new lenses have dust too..

Jul 29, 2012 at 04:15 PM
MikeW
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · help me i am going INSANE (dust...)

If you keep rubbing them you'll end up with a bigger problem...either taking off the coating or wearing a hole in the glass :P

IF I have to clean the back or front element I just use a clean microfibre cloth & my breath. For the rear element I may use a lens pen for the edges. I think my 18-200 frustrated me, as I couldn't seem to get rid of every slight cleaning mark but I have been less concerned with cleaning & enjoy taking pictures more as a result. Use a UV filter too.

As for internal dust, just don't look

Jul 29, 2012 at 04:43 PM
DTOB
• • •
p.1 #4 · help me i am going INSANE (dust...)

I use my shirt to clean my lenses after breathing on them. The personal attachment I feel for my gear is completely rooted in the memories of the images I've made with them, and not at all about the condition of my gear. I don't use filters, I don't even use lens caps frequently. Dust and scratches are just part of the deal.

Jul 29, 2012 at 07:42 PM
leighton w
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · help me i am going INSANE (dust...)

DTOB wrote:
I use my shirt to clean my lenses after breathing on them. The personal attachment I feel for my gear is completely rooted in the memories of the images I've made with them, and not at all about the condition of my gear. I don't use filters, I don't even use lens caps frequently. Dust and scratches are just part of the deal.

Edited on Jul 30, 2012 at 04:56 PM · View previous versions

Jul 29, 2012 at 07:44 PM
ryankarr
• • •
p.1 #6 · help me i am going INSANE (dust...)

I think you need some counselling.

Jul 29, 2012 at 08:37 PM
Donzo98
• • •
p.1 #7 · help me i am going INSANE (dust...)

I thought I was super anal with my stuff... but you have taken it to a whole other level. I have filters on my lenses... and never clean them. I always use lens caps.

Cleaning the surface of your lenses is far worse than any dust.

Jul 29, 2012 at 09:24 PM
snapsy
• • • •
p.1 #8 · help me i am going INSANE (dust...)

MikeW wrote:
If you keep rubbing them you'll end up with a bigger problem...either taking off the coating or wearing a hole in the glass :P

Agreed, in trying to resolve an imaginary problem (dust) you'll be creating a real problem (scratches, coating wear).

This might help: Every time you feel the impulse to clean your lenses due to dust, imagine yourself scratching the lenses with sandpaper and visualize the unrepairable damage that would cause. This will shift your obsession from an act of commission (cleaning your lenses due to fear of dust) to an act of omission (not cleaning your lenses due to a fear of damaging them). Neither obsession is healthy but one will result in less anxiety and lenses that aren't damaged

Jul 29, 2012 at 09:27 PM
aFrIcanSH
• •
p.1 #9 · help me i am going INSANE (dust...)

Very true about the gear being damaged. Counselling..well my ocd makes me bother about various stuff too but it's mild. Well not mild this is scary but the whole idea of this thread is to see what others do and to make myself realise I shouldn't worry, which has definitely helped cause I didn't think that the cleaning would wear off coatings. Though I did have a read and apparently if applied properly the coatings can't be rubbed off but its definitely better to be safe than sorry..

Jul 29, 2012 at 10:40 PM
lbloom
• •
p.1 #10 · help me i am going INSANE (dust...)

You could get a high-end point-and-shoot. That way, you can't look through the lens, and can't check out the sensor. You'll only have a (relatively small) front element to think about.

Jul 29, 2012 at 11:11 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Guari
• • •
p.1 #11 · help me i am going INSANE (dust...)

Try to clean the front element ass little as possible. Don't rub them if there is no real need.

If dust bothers you, please get uv filters. That way your front element won't have to be cleaned at all.

Jul 29, 2012 at 11:12 PM
Rags Hef
• • • •
p.1 #12 · help me i am going INSANE (dust...)

The real issue is if you see dust bunnies on your images. Many times the dust or scratches on a lens can't be seen on images.

Dust on you low pass filter? That's a different story. the lens pads you are purchasing are to clean the low pass filter in front of the lens.

My theory is, on newer lenses they don't coat the outside and if they do, they give you a UV filter (like the 200/400). If there is evidence to the contrary I would like to know about it.

Another theory: If you carry your cam on it's side or upside down, you can dislodge the interior camera dust deposited by the clean sensor agitation; since it kept inside the sensor cavity by gravity. Now that you can see.

Rags

Jul 29, 2012 at 11:24 PM
dimitris77
• • •
p.1 #13 · help me i am going INSANE (dust...)

OP. Yes you are crazy. Keep doing what you do until you scratch the first couple of elements. Then you will get over it.

Jul 30, 2012 at 03:04 AM
sandycrane
• • •
p.1 #14 · help me i am going INSANE (dust...)

Don't worry. Be happy.
-Bobbie McFerrin

Jul 30, 2012 at 12:19 PM
DaveOls
• • •
p.1 #15 · help me i am going INSANE (dust...)

Get yourself an underwater soft case for your camera and lens that has an optical glass front piece. Keep the camera in it forever even while you shoot. Should solve your dust problems.They're only about $ 50 or so.

Jul 30, 2012 at 12:28 PM
Pinarello65
• •
p.1 #16 · help me i am going INSANE (dust...)

I follow some basic principles like minimising the amount of time a lens is off the body, I do very fast change overs. When I remove a lens from the body, I keep the body pointing downwards as I remove the lens, then the other lens (which I placed on a table nearby, mount up, cap loosened) I quickly mount to the body. The theory being that gravity minimises dust going up into the sensor area. Being in a still environment also helps, don't do it with a breeze around you.

I also find a Dyson hand held vacc quite useful. I use a DC34 Animal model. They have a very strong suck! Also the diameter of the opening (without attachments) pretty much matches the opening of your camera body. If I detect any dust in there, I just suck the dust out with the Dyson. It also works for removing dust around the outside of the lens if you add the brush attachment.

Jul 30, 2012 at 02:39 PM
cjrpostma

p.1 #17 · help me i am going INSANE (dust...)

OP, I feel for you. I've dealt with OCD my entire life, much less if anything now but it was severe when I was a child. I've been a hardware enthusiast since my early teenage years and I used to obsess over my gear, mostly computer parts at the time, to your level.

I bought my first camera just over a year ago, a 5D Mk II. I was so afraid of damaging the thing that I only brought it outside on nice days and I had UV filters on all my L glass for protection. I also barely took any good shots or got great angles because I didn't want get near the ground and get dirty or get my lenses too close to anything. You know the result? Horrible photos and a pristine camera. What's the point?

As the gear became less new to me, I realized, what is the point of having a camera that you are too afraid to even use for fear of damaging it. You have to realize, these things are tough and built well, they are meant to last and take a beating. I've since sold my pristine 5D Mk II and I bought a slightly beat up but low shutter D700. I started with some cheap lenses and just tossed the camera in my bag with lenses and caps, no filters (unless for artistic effect). I've just moved up to more expensive pro-glass and I still don't use filters for protection unless called for. I lay down on the ground to get shots, take my camera to the beach, get close to plants and bugs, climb all over the place, stand on ladders, anything to get a good perspective. You know the result? My camera is still in great shape and I get good photos.

The bottom line is that you must get over your fear. If your photos are fine, don't look for problems and stir your obsessions. I still clean my gear and I am careful but I use it for it was built for. So, I would suggest that you relax, enjoy your camera, don't be afraid to use it. I'm sure you will find that it can handle it just fine. If you do notice some dust, use a blower to gently remove and then move on.

I feel for you man!

Jul 30, 2012 at 03:51 PM
Andre Labonte
• • • • • •
p.1 #18 · help me i am going INSANE (dust...)

aFrIcanSH wrote:
Very true about the gear being damaged. Counselling..well my ocd makes me bother about various stuff too but it's mild. Well not mild this is scary but the whole idea of this thread is to see what others do and to make myself realise I shouldn't worry, which has definitely helped cause I didn't think that the cleaning would wear off coatings. Though I did have a read and apparently if applied properly the coatings can't be rubbed off but its definitely better to be safe than sorry..

After this post by you, it seems clear to me ... COUNCSELLING!!!!! Perhaps combined with some tranquilizers.

If you can't see it in the image why should you care.

If you can see it in the image .. soft cotton cloth moistened with some cleaning solution.

KISS -- Keep It Simple Stupid

Jul 30, 2012 at 04:53 PM
parsons
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · help me i am going INSANE (dust...)

if you had seen the conditions i was out shooting in last night, a little dust would of soon been washed away, as i nearly was (not litterely of course)

dust is easy as pie to deal with. unless its real bad forget about the odd spot and and get taking some photos.

s

Jul 30, 2012 at 04:56 PM
euua
• • •
p.1 #20 · help me i am going INSANE (dust...)

that reminds me ..... i have to clean my sensor from dust ( no really )

This also reminds me about this article some time ago

!!!_______________WARNING OP please do not read this_____________ !!!

http://kurtmunger.com/dirty_lens_articleid35.html

Jul 30, 2012 at 06:19 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password