Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Feisol 3441T vs 3442?

greenlander_

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Feisol 3441T vs 3442?

I posted yesterday about a last minute tripod ordering decision that I need to make. I've since shifted possible options from Gitzo and Calumet branded tripods to Feisol, based on what seems like endless reading about tripods.

Despite all that reading, however, I'm not entirely clear what separates the Feisol 3441T and 3442. I understand the 3442 has no center column, while the 3441T does. Generally I've seen center column usage referred to as a way to reduce stability, but I've read nothing but excellent feedback on the 3441T.

In any event, if anyone can provide any insight that might help me decide between these two models, it would be greatly appreciated.

Jul 29, 2012 at 03:29 PM
dcains
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · Feisol 3441T vs 3442?

I think you've got the difference nailed down - and I wouldn't recommend the center column, for the stability compromises you've mentioned. The leg diameters on both tripods are the same, although I couldn't say whether or not the "Tournament Class" legs of the 3442 are any different otherwise. I'm sure the proprietor of www.reallybigcameras.com could provide and answer.

It's a wise choice to avoid the house-branded tripods, like those from Calumet and Adorama (Flashpoint), as their manufacturer is unknown, and service may be an issue. Feisol, either directly or though their vendors, has always provided great service, in and out of the warranty period.

Jul 29, 2012 at 08:38 PM
greenlander_

p.1 #3 · Feisol 3441T vs 3442?

I was just reading on reallbigcameras and evidently the 3441T has the 3442 legs with the center column of the 3441S.

It also seems like the 3441T packs down more compact than the 3442, which is of interest to me.

I guess the remaining question would be whether the 3441T with the center column all the way down is as vibration resistant as the 3442. If so, then the 3441T seems the way to go, if not, then the 3442.

Hopefully I'll be able to get an answer on this (which will most likely have to come from Kerry @ RBC) before my time to get a tripod shipped tomorrow runs out.

Jul 29, 2012 at 08:44 PM
dcains
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · Feisol 3441T vs 3442?

The spider diameter of the 3442 is larger, which will make for a slightly bulkier folded tripod. There may be a slight advantage in stability/vibration because the one-piece spider lacks all the adjoining pieces required with the center column of the 3441T. How much difference in actual usage? Who knows. I've got a Gitzo GT2540LVL tripod, which has a center column with a leveling feature. It certainly exhibits no less stability than my Gitzo wih no center column, although I never extend the column (in fact the column has been cut very short).

Jul 29, 2012 at 08:55 PM
greenlander_

p.1 #5 · Feisol 3441T vs 3442?

Well, that sounds like a vote for the 3441T, then. At least for my
Purposes. Why trade portability if there isn't a noticeable effect on stability and vibration resistance.

Jul 29, 2012 at 09:09 PM
dcains
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · Feisol 3441T vs 3442?

Personally, I'd go the other way. I like to hang my camera bag directly from the hook on the spider. I agree it's tough to go wrong with either Feisol, though. I've owned their tripods in the past, and still regularly use their larger monopod. Quality is very good.

Jul 29, 2012 at 09:13 PM
greenlander_

p.1 #7 · Feisol 3441T vs 3442?

Couldnt you just as easily hang your camera bag from the center column of the 3441T?

I believe there's an optional short center column too.

Jul 29, 2012 at 10:40 PM
dcains
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · Feisol 3441T vs 3442?

If the column is short enough, yes. I do some low perspective wide-angle shooting, so often I don't extend the legs. That's why I cut the column on my Gitzo.

Jul 29, 2012 at 10:44 PM
greenlander_

p.1 #9 · Feisol 3441T vs 3442?

I can't believe such a tough decision can come from this whole center column distinction.

Plus some additional confusion, from reallybigcameras.com: "In order to achieve this result, the Feisol Tournament Class tripods do not have anti-rotation mechanisms on the leg tubes. "

Yet, on the pricing page for the Feisols, the 3442 is listed as w/ RAL for $414.

Jul 29, 2012 at 11:14 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

dcains
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · Feisol 3441T vs 3442?

I can only guess Kerry hasn't updated the site to reflect the newer RAL feature.

Jul 29, 2012 at 11:17 PM
nma
• • •
p.1 #11 · Feisol 3441T vs 3442?

The real trade off is whether to get the 3441T which includes the center post or the 3442 with the center post. As the satisfied owner of a 3442, I can assure you that any difference in folded size is negligible as a practical matter. The theory is that eliminating the center post improves stability, but no one has proven that the legs with lowered center column is less stable. I typically use my 3442 with no center column. However, if you are doing macro studies with the lens barrel pointed steeply down, the center column gives the elevation needed so that the lens does not contact the tripod legs. This situation often comes up when positioning the legs for closeups.

Jul 29, 2012 at 11:20 PM
runamuck
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #12 · Feisol 3441T vs 3442?

ALL of my tripods have had center columns. I bought the Feisol 3472 without a center column, and haven't missed it yet.

Every center column does introduce a point for movement. Using a long lens with any breeze will probably cause movement.

Jul 30, 2012 at 05:23 PM
15Bit
• • • •
p.1 #13 · Feisol 3441T vs 3442?

I have the 3442 and also bought the centre column option. With a ball head attached the legs alone are more than high enough for me, so i never use the centre column. There is a horizontal column adapter available which looks quite interesting for macro work.

Jul 31, 2012 at 09:12 PM
S Richardson

p.1 #14 · Feisol 3441T vs 3442?

I have the 3441S with the optional short column. The longer center column just didn't feel stable enough the few times I needed it fully extended.

Aug 01, 2012 at 03:38 AM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.1 #15 · Feisol 3441T vs 3442?

greenlander_ wrote:
I was just reading on reallbigcameras and evidently the 3441T has the 3442 legs with the center column of the 3441S.

It also seems like the 3441T packs down more compact than the 3442, which is of interest to me.

I guess the remaining question would be whether the 3441T with the center column all the way down is as vibration resistant as the 3442. If so, then the 3441T seems the way to go, if not, then the 3442.

Hopefully I'll be able to get an answer on this (which will most likely have to come from Kerry @ RBC)
...Show more

No those two tripods don't have the same center column. One of the main differences between thse tripods are the center column. The s version have a 2-section telescopic center column. The T version have a more normal one-section Center Column
Both those tripods are Travel Tripods

Aug 03, 2012 at 09:10 PM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.1 #16 · Feisol 3441T vs 3442?

S Richardson wrote:
I have the 3441S with the optional short column. The longer center column just didn't feel stable enough the few times I needed it fully extended.

The short center column is sold because when using that one you can get a very low minimum height. For macro shooting and similar stuff. It will not make the tripod more stable. If not extending the normal center column it will be the same thing as using the shorter, when it comes to stability.

Aug 03, 2012 at 09:20 PM
uscmatt99
• •
p.1 #17 · Feisol 3441T vs 3442?

I use a 3441T for travel and a Gitzo 3541LS otherwise. The Feisol is great for my needs, though I only use focal lengths up to 100mm on it and don't need to shoot low often with it. Regarding the 3441T vs. 3442, the smaller spider diameter of the 3441T makes it such that the legs could not fold over most ballheads if it lacked a center column. When stored, the center column is in extended position and legs folded backwards. My 42mm ballhead (Photoclam Pro Gold II dual panning base) just fits between the thinner lower leg sections in folded position, but no way it would fit between the upper leg sections. The whole rig easily fits in the supplied Feisol bag.

I think it really comes down to your needs. If you use it for travel, the smaller diameter of the setup makes a difference when packing the tripod in the luggage. For general usage, I'd get the 3442 for the theoretically gained stability and ability to shoot low without a center column. You do get a bit of extra height with the center column twist-lock on the 3441T even unextended vs. a flat plate. I can use the whole thing comfortably with a D700 without the center extended at all, and I'm 5'11".

Whatever you get, I'd recommend springing for the anti-rotation legs. They're great!

Aug 04, 2012 at 02:49 PM
Smiert Spionam
• • • •
p.1 #18 · Feisol 3441T vs 3442?

I don't really like traveler style tripods (with the reversing legs and large center column assembly). My compact tripod is a Feisol 3401, which is like a 3442 with a narrower spider (though it's cast rather than milled). Lightweight, very sturdy for the size, good handling, compact, etc.

Aug 04, 2012 at 04:09 PM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password