Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Anyone still using the 400mm 2.8 AF-I ?

SeBEx

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Anyone still using the 400mm 2.8 AF-I ?

Hi

I am thinking of getting a 400mm and I do like the odler AF-I lenses as I have the 300mm version.

does anyone still use a 400mm AF-I and if so could you tell me what you thin about it please.

Cheers

SeBEx

Jul 29, 2012 at 09:42 AM
molson
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · Anyone still using the 400mm 2.8 AF-I ?

SeBEx wrote:
Hi

I am thinking of getting a 400mm and I do like the odler AF-I lenses as I have the 300mm version.

does anyone still use a 400mm AF-I and if so could you tell me what you thin about it please.

Cheers

SeBEx

If you're planning to buy one, make sure it's in good working order, as it may no longer be possible to get it repaired (at least, not by Nikon).

Jul 29, 2012 at 07:30 PM
Ian Macdermott
• •
p.1 #3 · Anyone still using the 400mm 2.8 AF-I ?

SeBEx wrote:
Hi

Cheers

SeBEx

I have had one for years its Sharp its Heavy and its built like a tank, it takes TCs very well and the autofocus is fast and reliable if a bit more noisy than my AFS 300mm2.8 of 20-400 F4 AFS. It also focuses closer than the AFS versions, just check its fully functional as mentioned Nikon will not be able to repair it if the AF motor go`s.

Oh did I mention its heavy

Jul 29, 2012 at 10:32 PM
asiostygius
• • • •
p.1 #4 · Anyone still using the 400mm 2.8 AF-I ?

Agreed with Ian statements. It is a very sharp but heavy lens and it accepts very well all TCs, including the TC20EIII. A fact often overlooked is that in the optical formula there are 4 ED elements, not just 3 as the newer designs.
Other thing is that my lens repair technician has stated that AF-I motors are far easier to repair (with non original parts) than AF-S ones, which are totally dependent on Nikon original parts. That is not the case for the coreless AF-I motor, which though a little bit noisy, are as fast as AF-S motors. Don't ask me how, I am not an expert, I am just telling what this repair guy told me.
The fact is that I have this lens and a 600/4 AF-S II, and the only one failed motor until today was: the newer AF-S!!!

Some samples with TC20EIII and TC 17E:

Ardea alba by labecoaves, on Flickr

D3 + Nikkor 400mm f/2.8 AF-I + TC20EIII [=800 f/5.6 af], tripod, gimbal head, ISO 320, 1/400s, f/11(5.6), ~ 33% crop of an already cropped D3 5:4 crop mode.

Melanerpes candidus by labecoaves, on Flickr

D3 + 400mm f/2.8 AF-I + TC20EIII = 800mm f/5.6 @ f/11, 1/640s ISO 400, Tripod + gimbal head. ~ 40% cropped, > 20m distance.

_TRZ8647 400mm af-i+TC17E by labecoaves, on Flickr

400mm f/2.8 AF-I. ~ 50% cropped. This old and heavy (6.5kg!!) telephoto works very well with teleconverters. The combo here is an effective 680mm f/4.7.

400mm af-i + TC20EIII = 800mm f/5.6 AF by labecoaves, on Flickr

D3 + 400mm f/2.8 AF-I. ~ 25% cropped This old and heavy (6.5kg!!) telephoto works very well with teleconverters. The combo here is an effective 800mm f/5.6.

and this last one with the TC17E:
http://ibc.lynxeds.com/photo/cock-tailed-tyrant-alectrurus-tricolor/male-cock-tailed-tyrant-perched-grass-campo-limpo-grass (click on the image to see a higher resolution version)

I think this is not bad for an old, "garbage and outdated" lens, though this is the only Nikkor 400mm with 4 ED elements, newer or older models have 3 or 2 elements only (source: nikonlinks).

Jul 29, 2012 at 10:57 PM
SeBEx

p.1 #5 · Anyone still using the 400mm 2.8 AF-I ?

WOW Asiostyqius thoses images are stunning!, I also use the D3 so those images have really sold the 400mm AF-I to me!, also it will be brillaint when i get the D800 haha

Jul 30, 2012 at 09:24 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

DennisC
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · Anyone still using the 400mm 2.8 AF-I ?

SeBEx wrote:
WOW Asiostyqius thoses images are stunning!...

+1

Jul 30, 2012 at 11:23 AM
asiostygius
• • • •
p.1 #7 · Anyone still using the 400mm 2.8 AF-I ?

Thank you, SeBex and DennisC.

SeBex, if you buy the lens, do not forget to perform an AF-tune procedure, since with TC amost certainly it will be necessary to you get the maximum performance of this telephoto. Any other question, please don't hesitate to ask me.

One more sample I forgot to post yesterday is this one with the TC17E (= 680mm f/4.8):

http://ibc.lynxeds.com/photo/cock-tailed-tyrant-alectrurus-tricolor/female-just-delivering-katydid-only-nestling-individual
(click on the image to access a higher resolution version)

Jul 30, 2012 at 11:58 AM
surfotog
• •
p.1 #8 · Anyone still using the 400mm 2.8 AF-I ?

I can't find the link that purports to show the 400/2.8 AF-I has 4 ED elements. It's no longer listed in the archive at Nikon. When i had this lens several years ago, I researched it, and as i recall it was listed as having three ED elements. It would be interesting if a lens several generations old used 4 ED elements.

Jul 30, 2012 at 05:09 PM
asiostygius
• • • •
p.1 #9 · Anyone still using the 400mm 2.8 AF-I ?

surfotog wrote:
I can't find the link that purports to show the 400/2.8 AF-I has 4 ED elements. It's no longer listed in the archive at Nikon. When i had this lens several years ago, I researched it, and as i recall it was listed as having three ED elements. It would be interesting if a lens several generations old used 4 ED elements.

See here:
http://www.photosynthesis.co.nz/nikon/specs.html#400
Search for the 400mm af-I and under "features" (the last column of data), you will see "4ED".
In fact photosynthesis list all AF-I telephotos (300-600mm) with 4 ED elements.

Jul 30, 2012 at 06:01 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password