New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Any One Using A Canon 1DX

ragebot
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Any One Using A Canon 1DX

I just got my 1dx and so far I like it a lot.

But I have not tried it using it with my PW and the several flavors of speed lights I have. Everything worked fine with my 1d4 but there are some threads in the Canon forum about problems with PW and RP units on the 5d3. None so far about the 1dx, but then again there are not a lot of them around.

Jul 28, 2012 at 08:45 PM
jerrykur
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Any One Using A Canon 1DX

I suspect the ttl1 and ttl5 will have issues. They do not play well with my 5DMK3 and the response from PW is they are working on it. But, they have been working on it since March.

Jul 30, 2012 at 10:13 PM
Cphoto1954
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Any One Using A Canon 1DX

PW needs to reverse engineer everything to make it work, and that takes time. This happened with the 5D2 when it came out. All is working very well for me now on my 5D2. Unfortunately it's the price you somtimes pay for being at the cutting edge with new equipment.

Aug 09, 2012 at 01:13 PM
photosymbol
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Any One Using A Canon 1DX

Get the 600EX-RT's and be done with it.

Aug 10, 2012 at 08:28 AM
cordellwillis
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Any One Using A Canon 1DX

photosymbol wrote:
Get the 600EX-RT's and be done with it.

but the OP said:

ragebot wrote:
and the several flavors of speed lights I have....

So your answer is to get rid of everything else? Huh!!

OP, give it some time. So what PW have been working on it since March. That isn't that long ago. It's unfortunate that some people expect instantaneous gratification (not saying you; other replies on the net). Just like I tell my clients, I can do it fast or I can try to do it right and make you happy.

PW will solve the issues and I'm sure many of us will be satisfied with the options to still use our older gear with both new and non OEM stuff. BTW, this is why I still prefer PW gear over a 600EX-RT.

Aug 10, 2012 at 09:23 AM
photosymbol
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Any One Using A Canon 1DX

cordellwillis wrote:
BTW, this is why I still prefer PW gear over a 600EX-RT.

Have you used the 600EX-RT system yet? Why would you want to go through the extra trouble of mounting things to the flash, extra batteries, connection issues, when you could just use a 600EX-RT? That logic makes no sense to me.

Aug 10, 2012 at 11:47 AM
Gregory Edge
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Any One Using A Canon 1DX

photosymbol wrote:
Have you used the 600EX-RT system yet? Why would you want to go through the extra trouble of mounting things to the flash, extra batteries, connection issues, when you could just use a 600EX-RT? That logic makes no sense to me.

I have to agree. Sell everything and buy the system that works. Why wait for a reversed engineered system? I bet in a year or two PW and RP stop supporting their systems. Who needs them? Between the cost of the Speedlite and the PW or RP device you are at or near a 600EX.

Aug 11, 2012 at 08:11 AM
sinbad747
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Any One Using A Canon 1DX

No, I don't think they will dry up and blow away. To survive they will have to adapt. Lower their prices and perfect their technology! If the 600EX is $600 and I can use my already purchased 580 II with a $100 PW that does TTL..... I always thought PW were a little over priced, but for the longest time they were the ONLY consistent game in town, then Radio Poppers came out. The new PWIII are cheaper, because of competition!! So it will be interesting to see how this all plays out. One thing is for certain, it will be in the consumers favor

Aug 23, 2012 at 02:11 PM
cordellwillis
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Any One Using A Canon 1DX

Gregory Edge wrote:
I have to agree. Sell everything and buy the system that works. Why wait for a reversed engineered system? I bet in a year or two PW and RP stop supporting their systems. Who needs them? Between the cost of the Speedlite and the PW or RP device you are at or near a 600EX.

photosymbol wrote:

It's funny how people only read part of a statement and use it in their limited context. This is just like politics. Read ALL of my reply and both of you might understand it better:

"many of us will be satisfied with the options to still use our older gear with both new and non OEM stuff. BTW, this is why I still prefer PW gear over a 600EX-RT."

The 600EX-RT is indeed nice but it is limited to only Canon speedlights and cameras. PW and other triggers are more universal. If you live beyond [Canon] specific speedlights what do you do then? I prefer a kit that can expand beyond OEM and have the power I need when I need it.

PW has been around long enough and proven themselves often enough to not just sit in the lab and do nothing. Even if they do sit on their arse their are other companies willing and very capable to give you triggers that are *more universal*. I'm not knocking Canon (or Nikon when they come out with theirs). It's a simple thought process in suggesting that you look at all of your options.

Aug 27, 2012 at 06:31 PM
RobertCB
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Any One Using A Canon 1DX

PWs will be around for a long time because they can be used for more than one task. I use my PWs for speed lights, studio strobes, and remote camera work. If you are going to only use the new speedlights than PWs may have no further use for you. With that said, when I replace my speedlights I will go with the newer units and not use PWs with those units.

Aug 28, 2012 at 10:18 AM
Photon
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Any One Using A Canon 1DX

PW has released a beta FW for the FlexTT5 system that works with the 5DIII. I've downloaded, and hope to test tomorrow with my studio monolights (with AC9 adaptors). They don't say anything about the 1DX, but I may try that too if I have a chance, though I'd be less likely to use that combination. Maybe PW will be able to quickly polish off new FW that accommodates the 1DX. Probably not, but for your sake I hope so!

Sep 01, 2012 at 11:04 PM
Photon
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Any One Using A Canon 1DX

The beta firmware does _not_ work for me with the 5DIII (never mind the 1DX). Maybe it should be classified alpha firmware. Or maybe my download was corrupted, though it checked out. Still work to be done.

Edit:
The 5DIII now seems to work fine with the MiniTT1/FlexTT5/AC3/AC9/Paul Buff system. I'm not sure what the problem was earlier for me. However, PW explicitly say that the 1DX is still not supported, so that will have to await their reverse engineering and another FW update.

Sep 02, 2012 at 10:38 PM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.