New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Keeping Cool + 1

Bob Jarman
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Keeping Cool + 1

Appreciate your thoughts, comments, etc... re processing and concept.

Thanks for looking,

Bob

Edited on Jul 29, 2012 at 12:15 PM · View previous versions

Jul 28, 2012 at 07:13 PM
Camperjim
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Keeping Cool + 1

Perhaps it would help if you explained the concept and intent. At this point I would say it is mainly a portrait of a hat.

If you are trying to say something about the individual, I am having a hard time seeing the intent. The first rule of portraiture is the eyes are most important. Without eyes and with little or no expression it seems somewhat lacking to my eye.

Jul 28, 2012 at 07:31 PM
Bob Jarman
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Keeping Cool + 1

Camperjim wrote:
Perhaps it would help if you explained the concept and intent. At this point I would say it is mainly a portrait of a hat.

If you are trying to say something about the individual, I am having a hard time seeing the intent. The first rule of portraiture is the eyes are most important. Without eyes and with little or no expression it seems somewhat lacking to my eye.

Thanks @camperjim,

Just an image of a hat - pseudo still-life if you prefer. At that moment the hat, light and textures, caught my eye, individual wearing it was incidental. A little out-of-the-box.

Trying things out with to expand LR skills.

Jul 28, 2012 at 07:40 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Keeping Cool + 1

Hey Bob.

When I do the "squint" check on this one, all I see is a hat thingy floating in the air with a psychedelic background.

I mention this because the person seems to get lost between the two as the highlight of the oof's and the highlights of the hat "ping pong" me to leapfrog past the person ... which the title would infer is an integral part of the image and that the hat is the medium for "Keeping Cool".

Not sure whether to suggest a title change or redirect the PP / comp ... will think on it.

As to the PP at the textures in the hat as an LR skill builder ... they look pretty good with a degree of detail & depth coming through. Highlight areas might be something to look at ... but "hot white" = hot vs. the need for cool, so they kinda go with the theme. Too close to be sure @ first go (on laptop) ... just something for your consideration.

Jul 28, 2012 at 08:25 PM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Keeping Cool + 1

I like the selection. Perhaps darker negative space to place more visual emphasis on the sombrero and an small asymmetric vignette?

Jul 28, 2012 at 09:44 PM
Bob Jarman
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Keeping Cool + 1

RustyBug wrote:
Hey Bob.

When I do the "squint" check on this one, all I see is a hat thingy floating in the air with a psychedelic background.

I mention this because the person seems to get lost between the two as the highlight of the oof's and the highlights of the hat "ping pong" me to leapfrog past the person ... which the title would infer is an integral part of the image and that the hat is the medium for "Keeping Cool".

Not sure whether to suggest a title change or redirect the PP / comp ... will think on it.

As
...Show more

Thanks Kent,

The mottled background is chain link fencing with top pipe "content-aware-filled" away. It is quite distracting and requires more work. I believe Karen arrived at a solution.

And a confession: in a moment of mischief, I went back and brightened the image using levels - what I attribute to the "Chuck effect". In retrospect, should have stayed with my usual approach.

Name? Couldn't think of "sombrero" at that moment

Regards,

Bob

Jul 29, 2012 at 07:57 AM
sbeme
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Keeping Cool + 1

Hi Bob,
I like this image. No problem with where she is looking. To me, the hat and the abstract quality of the bokeh make it for me.
The hat has plenty of pop, although Karen found a way to take it further. And there were some blown highlights when I looked at the jpeg in LR. What I struggle with is whether you need more separation of face and background. I tried lightening, darkening the background, tried lightening the background/darkening the face. Couldnt come up with a satisfactory solution. So, back to the image. It works. And the darkening Karen supplied makes for a richer image.
Scott

Jul 29, 2012 at 08:01 AM
Bob Jarman
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Keeping Cool + 1

AuntiPode wrote:
I like the selection. Perhaps darker negative space to place more visual emphasis on the sombrero and an small asymmetric vignette?

AuntiPode,

Thanks for looking and helpful re-work. Glad you like the concept - trying to step back from "boring". Taken at the 7's tournament. I had the sameness of most of the other captures taken thus far etched into my mind at the time.

Bob's self-critique: like the diagonal division of frame, tension between positive and negative spaces, sharp, nice bokeh, nice tone, intersecting lines suggested by brim and peak of sombrero, could be not so bright sombrero. Background needs work, which you have nicely addressed.

Thanks again for looking and illustrative rework,

Bob

Jul 29, 2012 at 08:05 AM
Bob Jarman
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Keeping Cool + 1

sbeme wrote:
Hi Bob,
I like this image. No problem with where she is looking. To me, the hat and the abstract quality of the bokeh make it for me.
The hat has plenty of pop, although Karen found a way to take it further. And there were some blown highlights when I looked at the jpeg in LR. What I struggle with is whether you need more separation of face and background. I tried lightening, darkening the background, tried lightening the background/darkening the face. Couldnt come up with a satisfactory solution. So, back to the image. It works. And the darkening Karen supplied
...Show more

Thanks Scott,

How is Buffalo? More cityscapes coming? Hope so.

Like you, I struggled with separating his face from the background. His olive complexion coupled with the foliage does not help.

Karen to the rescue as is often the case! Always more to see and learn.

Bob

Jul 29, 2012 at 08:12 AM
Bob Jarman
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Keeping Cool + 1

darker version...

Jul 29, 2012 at 12:16 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Keeping Cool + 1

Looks non-photographic ... painterly-ish

Jul 29, 2012 at 01:12 PM
Bob Jarman
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Keeping Cool + 1

RustyBug wrote:
Looks non-photographic ... painterly-ish

Is that good or not so good?

Jul 29, 2012 at 06:33 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Keeping Cool + 1

Bob Jarman wrote:
Is that good or not so good?

That depends ... if you like "painterly-ish" it's good ... if you don't like "painterly-ish" its not so good.
Yeah ... I know, brilliant deduction Einstein.

My personal thoughts on painterly can change from day to day as my mood varies ... ask me tomorrow and you'll get a different answer ... so my opinion isn't worth much on this one, as if it was ever worth more than you paid for it.

Jul 29, 2012 at 07:32 PM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.