Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Soft Light at Summit Lake - Mt. Evans, Colorado

DejanS
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · Soft Light at Summit Lake - Mt. Evans, Colorado

Hi all,

I was doing nitescapes, and took this set of images as the sun began to make its presence at the horizon after the bats flew back to their "caves", This is Summit Lake, below the peak of Mt. Evans and above tree line, maybe around 12,500 ft msl. This is also a terrible place for a jeep fuel pump to quit working, as there is no cell coverage. So, I had to ride my mountain bike back down to the Lodge 10 miles down the mountain to call for a tow, then ride back.

Some technical specs, 5 images blended shot with a Nikon D700, Tokina 16-28 f/2.8, ISO800, 16mm, at f/8, 4 sec exposure. I think I could have gotten away with 4 though.

As always, comments welcomed!

Dejan Smaic 2012

Jul 28, 2012 at 11:35 PM
helenica
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · Soft Light at Summit Lake - Mt. Evans, Colorado

I really like the foreground in this composition. Perhaps a bit more contrast in the background.

Jul 30, 2012 at 11:14 AM
bshamilton
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · Soft Light at Summit Lake - Mt. Evans, Colorado

Love the soft glow of light here. Wonderful early morning mood.

Barry

Jul 30, 2012 at 11:50 AM
ckcarr
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · Soft Light at Summit Lake - Mt. Evans, Colorado

Very nice Dejan!

What kind of Jeep? You just validated why I updated mine a year or so ago..

Jul 30, 2012 at 01:18 PM
mamankyle
• • •
p.1 #5 · Soft Light at Summit Lake - Mt. Evans, Colorado

I like it. I don't think it needs any additional contrast.
Greg

Jul 30, 2012 at 02:49 PM
Sunny Sra
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · Soft Light at Summit Lake - Mt. Evans, Colorado

Dejan,
Very nicely done! Just a small suggestion, if you could add some "black" to the background it would provide a bit more contrast and distinction to it.

Jul 30, 2012 at 03:30 PM
DejanS
• • •
p.1 #7 · Soft Light at Summit Lake - Mt. Evans, Colorado

ckcarr wrote:
Very nice Dejan!

What kind of Jeep? You just validated why I updated mine a year or so ago..

Craig, I was about to dig up an image of my Jeep for a post on "my ride"...lol! Anyways, it is a 1997 Jeep Cherokee, with approximately 369,000 miles...My second in 15 years. My last Cherokee had 352,000 mi before I gave that one to my mom. No out of the ordinary issues other than a replaced transmission, u-joints, water pumps, and now a highly suspected bad fuel pump...getting ready to replace it today. Thinking a newer Cherokee or Tacoma by the end of the year.

Dejan

Jul 30, 2012 at 03:42 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

DejanS
• • •
p.1 #8 · Soft Light at Summit Lake - Mt. Evans, Colorado

Sunny Sra wrote:
Dejan,
Very nicely done! Just a small suggestion, if you could add some "black" to the background it would provide a bit more contrast and distinction to it.

I will play around with adding a little more contrast a bit later and see how it looks. but, this is pretty much the scene of the AM at that time.

Dejan

Jul 30, 2012 at 03:44 PM
Sharona
• • • •
p.1 #9 · Soft Light at Summit Lake - Mt. Evans, Colorado

Gorgeous. I love the light. Will you photographing the USA Pro Cycling challenge again this year?

And that is a bummer about your Jeep! At least you had your bike. Imagine if you hadn't....

Jul 30, 2012 at 04:06 PM
DejanS
• • •
p.1 #10 · Soft Light at Summit Lake - Mt. Evans, Colorado

Sharona wrote:
Gorgeous. I love the light. Will you photographing the USA Pro Cycling challenge again this year?

And that is a bummer about your Jeep! At least you had your bike. Imagine if you hadn't....

Thanks Sharon. I will be shooting parts of the US Pro Challenge for 303Cycling. I am still waiting to hear from VeloNews if they are going to assign me the Womens Aspen Stage Race on August 20-22...

Dejan

Jul 30, 2012 at 04:17 PM
Scott Kroeker
• • • •
p.1 #11 · Soft Light at Summit Lake - Mt. Evans, Colorado

Beautiful composition Dejan!

Jul 30, 2012 at 05:18 PM
Dennis M 1064
• •
p.1 #12 · Soft Light at Summit Lake - Mt. Evans, Colorado

Don't rush to buy a new jeep. Rumor has it, they are coming out with a diesel! That would be some great torque for crawling up that high. If there is one thing on my truck that hadn't stopped working. . .it's that Cummins Turbo Diesel! Would love a diesel in a Jeep!

Really like that composition.

Jul 30, 2012 at 06:59 PM
pumaknight
• • •
p.1 #13 · Soft Light at Summit Lake - Mt. Evans, Colorado

This is a very technically competent shot, but I not sure the composition works as well as I think it should. That is nothing to do with your skills, but more my viewing I think. I am not sure if the colours are too pastel, or the yellow blob is too distracting, or if there is too much space on the left..

I think this is a great example of a shot there is a significant element of subjective.

I hope you don't mind me sharing my viewpoint....and I don't want you to take it as a negative....

Jul 31, 2012 at 06:02 PM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password