Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · First A850 Portrait (Warning, High-Key will be too bright...

hobbiesarefun

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · First A850 Portrait (Warning, High-Key will be too bright for some screens)

First A850 Portrait (Warning, High-Key will be too bright for some screens).

It's very bright, and a very cliche editing style. I know. I did it only because she asked me to, I honestly get kind of annoyed by the over-exposed high-key look, because it's overused. Oh well.
A850 + Sigma 24-70mm f/2.8 EX DG Macro + Minolta 3600 HS (D), shot in cRAW, AdobeRGB, edited in Lr4.1, converted to sRGB.
-- hide signature --
-Eric (17 years old with tons of things I can't wait to learn)
http://eswenson.smugmug.com

Jul 28, 2012 at 11:19 PM
Steady Hand
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · First A850 Portrait (Warning, High-Key will be too bright for some screens)

Howdy,

I see your photo post has had many (582) views and no comments from viewers.

I know that can be disappointing and often discourages people from posting/participating in a forum like this.

So, I will post a comment or two and maybe that will get others to contribute their views too.

____________-
First...my standard intro to anyone "new" to me on this forum...
My comments or suggestions below are not a criticism of you, your model, your talent or skill. I offer them in a friendly tone of voice and with the sole intent to help you with a second POV and set of eyes. If you read sincere questions and simple suggestions as "criticism" of you, then you will miss how I am trying to help you.

Of course this may be your own "style" or your own "vision" and I suppose we can assume that the images look just like they do because that is exactly how you like them. That is OK too. It just shows that there are differences of "opinion" on what looks good. IF these are exactly what you want and like, then by all means continue making your images look like that and have fun doing it. As I always say: "Follow your own muse."

She is a pretty young girl...and that means lots of potential for a photographer.

She has blue eyes...something that means potential for a nice color photo.

She has freckles, something that also means potential.

So, I am puzzled why you chose to post a photo you don't like as it appears from your introduction that you get annoyed by this style of photo you made.

My Suggestion: Don't waste time making photos you don't like. Use your time and skills and USE your creativity to create a photo that YOU will be proud to display and that your subject will be happy to have, because it is YOUR creativity that captured something unique about them.

Another Suggestion: Keep learning. I try to learn something new each day, and photography is such a broad field that there is never an end to what one can learn or improve upon.

Jul 31, 2012 at 06:56 PM
Bones74
• • •
p.1 #3 · First A850 Portrait (Warning, High-Key will be too bright for some screens)

I like the image and you delivered what the client/subject asked for. My screen is calibrated so it doesnt look too bright

Jul 31, 2012 at 08:59 PM
CalW
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · First A850 Portrait (Warning, High-Key will be too bright for some screens)

I also am generally not fond of hi-key portraits, but this would work for me if you could eliminate the green-ish what-ever-it-is in the background to her left. It is particularly distracting as the color clashes with the gorgeous blue eyes. (Merely a random opinion and not intended in any way to offend!)

Aug 01, 2012 at 03:17 PM

Ian Boys
• • •
p.1 #5 · First A850 Portrait (Warning, High-Key will be too bright for some screens)

For me the style has to match the mood and high key generally fits a more upbeat look. Her expression here doesn't work for me in a high key shot.

Aug 01, 2012 at 03:22 PM
hobbiesarefun

p.1 #6 · First A850 Portrait (Warning, High-Key will be too bright for some screens)

Thanks all! I guess part of the reason for posting this photo, regardless of my views as to the processing, is because I do happen to like the overall feel of how the image turned out, and I wanted to see what other people's reactions to the high-key style would be, compared to my own.

It wasn't specifically something she asked for, however I have known her since we were both babies, so I knew it would be something she would like (and it was).

As for the green section of the background, I totally agree. A little bit more PP time it is, haha.

And yes. I agree there as well. I kept finding her expression almost unsettling to me in the final image. She's got a nice smile too, but in a sense I feel like it also works that way. Is it killed by the expression? Not quite, but I definitely agree I find high-key a more upbeat style.

Thanks again! Gave me a lot to think about on this one.

Aug 02, 2012 at 04:31 PM
GoodEgg
• •
p.1 #7 · First A850 Portrait (Warning, High-Key will be too bright for some screens)

I like the image -- piercing green eyes. I like the look she's giving the camera. I'm good with the high-key. If it were my image, I'd be proud. I'd enhance her freckles and remove what look like blemishes to me.

Aug 02, 2012 at 05:33 PM

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password