Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2012 · One shot from first D800 e-session

form
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · One shot from first D800 e-session

Liking the camera a bit so far, but it's not perfect...

My current favorite shot, taken today:
http://www.joeyallenphoto.com/ShannonRob-E-0002sm.jpg

I think this photo came out pretty well. I only wish the rest came out as well as this.

Jul 28, 2012 at 05:00 PM
ACRe
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · One shot from first D800 e-session

Sharp! What don't you like about the camera so far?

Andrew

Jul 28, 2012 at 05:01 PM
Kenneth Farver
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · One shot from first D800 e-session

why is the top left corner in focus?

Jul 28, 2012 at 05:07 PM
form
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · One shot from first D800 e-session

Not too much, mostly the optical limitations...LCD shows images greener like others have said, and image review jumping has a delay (someone told me a workaround that is less than ideal).

I would say that Auto ISO is one of the greatest things since sliced bread.

Jul 28, 2012 at 05:08 PM
form
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · One shot from first D800 e-session

Kenneth Farver wrote:

Distance from lens, that spot is apparently within the focal plane.

Jul 28, 2012 at 05:08 PM
MN_Migrant
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · One shot from first D800 e-session

It's seems like you don't seem thrilled with the D800, but why? This... form wrote:
Liking the camera a bit so far, but it's not perfect...
... provides no basis for comparison (i.e., which camera were you using prior to the D800). Can you provide context to these statements?

Cheers

Jul 28, 2012 at 05:53 PM
stevez32
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · One shot from first D800 e-session

No camera is perfect

Jul 28, 2012 at 06:05 PM
Sunny Sra
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · One shot from first D800 e-session

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1133662

Jul 28, 2012 at 07:06 PM
Sergio Mottola
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · One shot from first D800 e-session

i'd touch up her skin a bit. photo looks nice.

Jul 28, 2012 at 11:27 PM
XPO239
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · One shot from first D800 e-session

I was so close to pulling the trigger on the D800. I'm holding out for the D600. I'm curious how much detail the d800 can pull back on those highlights though.

Jul 29, 2012 at 12:17 AM
form
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · One shot from first D800 e-session

After pushing and pulling, I would say that it retrieves about the same amount of highlight detail as the 5d2 - the bigger difference is in the shadows. This is all with d-lighting off, which also affects dynamic range in a pretty big way.

Jul 29, 2012 at 09:03 AM
ricardovaste
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · One shot from first D800 e-session

Yeah I'd probably sort out the top left corner as well, your eye does draw to it slightly. Really like the look of the image though, good job!

Jul 29, 2012 at 09:07 AM
form
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · One shot from first D800 e-session

Sergio, I didn't know you touched up skin.

MN_Migrant wrote:
It's seems like you don't seem thrilled with the D800, but why? This... ... provides no basis for comparison (i.e., which camera were you using prior to the D800). Can you provide context to these statements?

Cheers

Because there are a few notable flaws including the LCD green tint and slower image review, plus I still haven't verified the accuracy of the camera's focus system.

It is consistent for sure, and I like that very much, but my habits of recomposing instead of using the appropriate focus point may have contributed to some slightly OOF images and any OOF images bother me at this point. I was pushing it fairly hard at f/1.8-f/2.2 pretty much all the time, and it nailed focus on probably 90-95% of shots, but there are the few that were slightly OOF (always front focused) that I cannot be sure whether or not my technique was the cause.

I know that focus-recomposing does lead to front-focused images, but I do not know that it would have led to front-focused images if I had focused on the correct objects in the first place (e.g. faces)...and I also do not know if focus-recompose would have led to OOF images in the instances where the subjects were only in a small part of the frame at 85mm (pretty much the only OOF images were even farther away than full-body portraits, so longer distances).

So the question remains: Is it my bad habit or the camera's function?

This is coming from three 5d2s, after selling a 1ds II I didn't enjoy and two 5d classics I grew out of due to limits in post-processing flexibility. Most of all, I want consistent accurate one-shot focus, and I definitely found that in most scenes. I just don't know yet if the few OOF (again, always front focused) were my fault for what I focused on and how I focused.

I'm also not really that content with the Nikon glass. The 85 f/1.8g is highly regarded, but I find the mild halation and notable fringing from f/1.8 through f/2.5 reminds me of the Canon 85 f/1.8 I sold in favor of the 85L long ago. Basically, having a wider starting aperture with the 85L allowed me to use the f/1.8-f/2.5 range without IQ flaws like the fringing...and I miss that.

Jul 29, 2012 at 09:29 AM
DavidWEGS
[X]
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · One shot from first D800 e-session

Kenneth Farver wrote:

Seriously?

Jul 29, 2012 at 09:45 AM
ACRe
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · One shot from first D800 e-session

form wrote:

I'm also not really that content with the Nikon glass. The 85 f/1.8g is highly regarded, but I find the mild halation and notable fringing from f/1.8 through f/2.5 reminds me of the Canon 85 f/1.8 I sold in favor of the 85L long ago. Basically, having a wider starting aperture with the 85L allowed me to use the f/1.8-f/2.5 range without IQ flaws like the fringing...and I miss that.

Form, it is pretty hard to take that quote seriously when you are comparing a $500 lens to a $2,000 lens, wouldn't
you say?

Andrew

Jul 29, 2012 at 10:01 AM
form
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · One shot from first D800 e-session

It's absolutely serious. I miss the 85L's cleaner images around f/2, and this is part of what dissatisfies me about the Nikon side right now. I have also seen reviews showing some red fringing on the 85 f/1.4g at f/2, which is also a bit dissatisfactory.

The point is, Canon seems to have the glass I like, and Nikon has the body. Everything I have read has drawn the same conclusion.

Jul 29, 2012 at 10:16 AM
ricardovaste
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · One shot from first D800 e-session

form wrote:
It's absolutely serious. I miss the 85L's cleaner images around f/2, and this is part of what dissatisfies me about the Nikon side right now. I have also seen reviews showing some red fringing on the 85 f/1.4g at f/2, which is also a bit dissatisfactory.

The point is, Canon seems to have the glass I like, and Nikon has the body. Everything I have read has drawn the same conclusion.

Consider yourself lucky for having the choice, or perspective ;-). The grass is always greener... or it's never greener. You'll struggle to find anyone who is completely happy all the time with every element of their equipment. You learn to get the most out of it, learn to love it. You know this of course, just keep the perspective :-).

Jul 29, 2012 at 10:22 AM
cordellwillis
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · One shot from first D800 e-session

Wow. I can only imagine what this whole post would be about if film and chemicals were involved with the cameras and glass that were available many years ago.

Jul 29, 2012 at 10:46 AM
ACRe
• •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · One shot from first D800 e-session

form wrote:

Whatever.

That's like saying "I miss my Canon TS lens because the Lensbaby I am using isn't giving me the same control I am used to."

"Oh yeah, and I read somewhere on the Internet that something is bad somewhere." After all, It is on the Internet, therefore it must be completely true.

Shoot with the L equivalent -- the 85 1.4 -- and then make your apples to apples comparison. Otherwise it is apples to oranges and you look foolish trying to make the comparison into something it is not.

Someone once said: "amateurs worry about equipment, professionals worry about money, masters worry about light." or something very close to that....

Sunny Sra, your link was very insightful.

Andrew

Jul 29, 2012 at 12:17 PM
joosay
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · One shot from first D800 e-session

DavidWEGS wrote:
Seriously?

It is a bit distracting but easily blurred in post.

Jul 29, 2012 at 12:54 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.