Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · New Metabones Canon EF to (NEX) adapter Mark II

Fred Miranda
Admin
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · New Metabones Canon EF to (NEX) adapter Mark II

"Metabones refreshes its highly successful Smart Adapter (for mounting EF and EF-S mount lenses on Sony NEX cameras) with an improved design. Among the new features of this Second Edition are a detachable AS-style quick release plate, a round opening with proprietary anti-reflection measures and a new “Green Power-Save” mode that cuts down battery consumption by reducing aperture diaphragm and image stabilization actuation during image preview.

Heralded as the first electronic adapter for mounting EF and EF-S lenses on Sony NEX cameras with aperture control directly by the camera body, EXIF and image stabilization lens support, the Metabones Smart Adapter has since become an indispensable tool for the most demanding cinematographers and other professionals. Now, the Second Edition adds numerous incremental refinements based on customer feedback.

The Second Edition will be available in August 2012 at the same price from Metabones' distributors in many countries all over the world and the Metabones online shop."

Price to be the same as their previous version at $400.

Jul 28, 2012 at 08:45 PM
Thatspeck
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · New Metabones Canon EF to (NEX) adapter Mark II

It's a nice idea but I've had my name on their list forever to get a Mark I and was never notified of availability. I finally bought a 5D to drive the autofocus on the one Contax N lens I still own. Hopefully they will be able to meet demand with the new one...

Jul 28, 2012 at 09:40 PM
wkhc168
• • •
p.1 #3 · New Metabones Canon EF to (NEX) adapter Mark II

What about those of us who bought the MK I, can we get an upgrade?

Jul 29, 2012 at 04:28 AM
Peire
• • •
p.1 #4 · New Metabones Canon EF to (NEX) adapter Mark II

Thatspeck wrote:
It's a nice idea but I've had my name on their list forever to get a Mark I and was never notified of availability. I finally bought a 5D to drive the autofocus on the one Contax N lens I still own. Hopefully they will be able to meet demand with the new one...

+1

Jul 29, 2012 at 06:39 AM
MarkJones
• •
p.1 #5 · New Metabones Canon EF to (NEX) adapter Mark II

Disappointed! I have only just bought mine. I wish I'd know.

Jul 29, 2012 at 08:43 AM
Yakim Peled
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · New Metabones Canon EF to (NEX) adapter Mark II

How can they allow for aperture and IS operation and not the most important aspect of all - AF?

Happy shooting,
Yakim.

Jul 29, 2012 at 11:37 AM
Mescalamba
• • • •
p.1 #7 · New Metabones Canon EF to (NEX) adapter Mark II

Yakim Peled wrote:
How can they allow for aperture and IS operation and not the most important aspect of all - AF?

Happy shooting,
Yakim.

CDAF vs PDAF

Besides that, enabling IS and aperture is easier than reverse engineering whole AF. They are not Sigma.. (and Sigma reverse engineered AF isnt exactly top notch either).

Jul 29, 2012 at 11:51 AM
Yakim Peled
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · New Metabones Canon EF to (NEX) adapter Mark II

Slow AF is better than no AF.

Happy shooting,
Yakim.

Jul 29, 2012 at 12:00 PM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · New Metabones Canon EF to (NEX) adapter Mark II

Yakim Peled wrote:
Slow AF is better than no AF.

Happy shooting,
Yakim.

clearly you haven't tried the 4/3 lenses on µ4/3 or the alpha lenses on NEX with the mirrorless adapter.

it is worse than no AF

Jul 29, 2012 at 04:16 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Mescalamba
• • • •
p.1 #10 · New Metabones Canon EF to (NEX) adapter Mark II

On NEX I think AF is worth it only when its reasonably fast, otherwise focus peaking is better solution.

Jul 29, 2012 at 04:38 PM
Yakim Peled
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · New Metabones Canon EF to (NEX) adapter Mark II

sebboh wrote:
clearly you haven't tried the 4/3 lenses on µ4/3 or the alpha lenses on NEX with the mirrorless adapter.

it is worse than no AF

Oh.....

Happy shooting,
Yakim.

Jul 29, 2012 at 07:05 PM
artd
• • •
p.1 #12 · New Metabones Canon EF to (NEX) adapter Mark II

Yakim Peled wrote:

Happy shooting,
Yakim.

Heh. Aperture control is much more important than autofoucs. I don't particularly like to shoot a lens wide open all the time.

If I want autofocus I have a simple solution, I use native mount lenses. That's the beauty of having options.

But still, I wonder if they are going to offer an upgrade option for those of us who bought version 1

Aug 01, 2012 at 09:09 PM
philber
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · New Metabones Canon EF to (NEX) adapter Mark II

I wonder how it compares to the product Kipon announced...
Kipo, EOS-to-NEX

Aug 01, 2012 at 09:17 PM
fotofraag

p.1 #14 · New Metabones Canon EF to (NEX) adapter Mark II

Those Kipon look terrible. Why don't they finish a product instead of offering a prototype like build with all wiring around in the tube. I can't imagine this has no impact on contrast and colour rendition. A black inside would be much more preferrable. The Metabones look more like a mature product than these Kipon

Aug 01, 2012 at 11:27 PM
michael49
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · New Metabones Canon EF to (NEX) adapter Mark II

Mescalamba wrote:
On NEX I think AF is worth it only when its reasonably fast, otherwise focus peaking is better solution.

Completely agree. I find focus peaking so good that I prefer it to af except for moving subjects. No more focuse recompose for me.

Aug 02, 2012 at 01:16 AM
Smiert Spionam
• • • •
p.1 #16 · New Metabones Canon EF to (NEX) adapter Mark II

I'd spring for the Nikon version, for sure.

Aug 02, 2012 at 04:01 AM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.1 #17 · New Metabones Canon EF to (NEX) adapter Mark II

Smiert Spionam wrote:
I'd spring for the Nikon version, for sure.

a nikon one can't control aperture without additional power for an in adapter motor to control aperture.

Aug 02, 2012 at 04:58 AM
Yakim Peled
• • • • • •
p.1 #18 · New Metabones Canon EF to (NEX) adapter Mark II

artd wrote:
Heh. Aperture control is much more important than autofoucs. I don't particularly like to shoot a lens wide open all the time.

If I want autofocus I have a simple solution, I use native mount lenses. That's the beauty of having options.

But still, I wonder if they are going to offer an upgrade option for those of us who bought version 1

Well, I do like AF and do like to shoot wide open. Different hourses for different courses I guess.

My dream adapter is that it will allow for sealess operation with my EF-S lenses on OM-D. The 10-22 and 60/2.8 are wonderful lenses and IMHO all they lack is IS (or AS). I guess I won't be getting that so I'll have to see when a higher model with EF-M mount will be announced.

Happy shooting,
Yakim.

Aug 02, 2012 at 10:23 AM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password