Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Macro World Resource

FM Forums | Macro World | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Tamron 180 Macro

Mike1.6
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · Tamron 180 Macro

I've been looking around for some feedback from photographers that have used this lens. Currently it's at a very reasonable price and wondered if it would be worth giving it a spin. I love the Canon 100 L but I am definitely in need of more reach. If anyone has had both the Tamron and the Canon 180's I'd love to hear from you. The price of those two lenses is not comparable, I know, but the Tamron also offers some advantage in weight and the push-pull autofocus-manual focus switch seems useful.

Even without the comparisons, is this lens worth trying?

Jul 28, 2012 at 08:43 PM
denis55
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · Tamron 180 Macro

hi mike.
i have the canon 100 non-IS ,and the tamron 180.it produces sharp shots,as long as i do my job. .you get more working distance,and i,ve been using tubes on it also.cant go wrong for the money.auto-focus sucks,but heh! who uses that.mine lives on my 5-d,at least till the MPE gets here.all my posts on here were taken with it.

denis

Jul 28, 2012 at 08:51 PM
Mike1.6
• • •
p.1 #3 · Tamron 180 Macro

Thanks Denis. I think your shots look good. I think even with my 100L I end up using manual focus 70% of the time, so manual focus, that would not be an issue.

MP-E65 is quite an amazing piece of glass. I see long hours of focus stacking in your future.

Thanks for chiming in.

Jul 28, 2012 at 09:18 PM
martines34
• • • •
p.1 #4 · Tamron 180 Macro

I have the Tamron 180 mm and 90 mm. Both are excellent lenses.

I have the Zeiss 100 mm and it is a different animal.

If you use a tripod and live view - you can't miss.

Jul 28, 2012 at 09:23 PM
Mike1.6
• • •
p.1 #5 · Tamron 180 Macro

Thanks Martine, for the recommendation. I feel fairly confident that it won't be a bad choice to get myself one of the Tamrons. I'd love to see some of your work with the Zeiss glass.

Jul 28, 2012 at 11:42 PM
gwaww
• •
p.1 #6 · Tamron 180 Macro

I have owned the Tamron 90, 180 and have used the Canon 180. The Canon is better but not enough to justify spending the extra $$$ IMHO. I now have the Sigma 150 OS and you couldn't pry it from my hands! It is a great handling lens and for other photos like candid people shots, it almost rivals my Canon 135L! It's that good. And yes I did enjoy the Tamron 180. Great focal length for macro.

Jul 30, 2012 at 03:53 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

pepperman
• • •
p.1 #7 · Tamron 180 Macro

Mike,
I own the Canon 100 non IS, the Tamaron 180 , and the Canon MPE-65 (purchased in that order). When I bought the Tamaron I was actually looking at the Canon 180 and was told to look at the Tamaron. I love the Tamaron, it is a sharp lens, however it is very slow to focus. I thought that that would not be a problem for macro and for lots of it it is not! Yesterday I did a shoot with venomous snakes and it was a challenge to use the 180, not impossible and I got some great shots but it was a challenge! All in all I LOVE the 180, for 1/2 the price of the Canon I will take it all day long!
I have a post that I just put up "Herps ~ Up Close and Personal" that has a few shots done with the Tamaron 180 f/3.5

Jul 30, 2012 at 06:41 PM
Mike1.6
• • •
p.1 #8 · Tamron 180 Macro

Thanks Stuart. Those snakes shots are great. I would definitely have reached for the longer lens for those. I understand that the Tamron is slower to autofocus but is it slower than the Canon 180?

Jul 31, 2012 at 04:12 PM
pepperman
• • •
p.1 #9 · Tamron 180 Macro

My understanding is that it is slower that the Canon, the question is ~ "Is the Canon $700 faster?"

Jul 31, 2012 at 07:33 PM
Mike1.6
• • •
p.1 #10 · Tamron 180 Macro

pepperman wrote:
My understanding is that it is slower that the Canon, the question is ~ "Is the Canon $700 faster?"

Well put Stuart. Thanks very much. Your shots with the lens look great, by the way.

Jul 31, 2012 at 07:46 PM
vsg28
• • •
p.1 #11 · Tamron 180 Macro

I am also contemplating either the Tamron 90mm or the Tamron 180mm macro. The only thing stopping me is the lack of IS. Do you guys find that IS is useful for macro? One can't always predict when the opportunity for a macro shot will come and setting up a tripod/flash etc may take too much time. Or am I just over thinking this?

Aug 02, 2012 at 12:47 AM

FM Forums | Macro World | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password