Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2012 · Any really nice 50mm f/1.2-f/1.4 primes?

form
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Any really nice 50mm f/1.2-f/1.4 primes?

Are there any really desirable (nice bokeh, sharp IQ, etc.) 50mm lenses with f/1.2 or f/1.4 apertures on the Nikon side?

**Update** Okay, I'm reading 58mm f/1.2 and 50mm f/1.4g. What about contrast, edge sharpness? I ask about contrast because reports have claimed low contrast for 50 f/1.4 wide open, and I ask about edge sharpness because 58 f/1.2 seems extremely soft at edges/borders according to the illustrious Ken Rockwell (first link I found).

Jul 28, 2012 at 07:44 PM
canondoc
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Any really nice 50mm f/1.2-f/1.4 primes?

The Sigma 50mm 1.4 is amazing. Nice "bokeh" is an understatement. Just like the 85mm 1.4 Sigma.

Jul 28, 2012 at 08:11 PM
Two23
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Any really nice 50mm f/1.2-f/1.4 primes?

Another vote for the Sigma 50mm. When you mention "bokeh," my thought immediately goes to the Sigma. The Sigma is a new lens with all the modern coatings and glass formulations etc., so I'd put it ahead of the older lenses for the other things you mention as well.

Kent in SD

Jul 28, 2012 at 08:33 PM
leighton w
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Any really nice 50mm f/1.2-f/1.4 primes?

The 50mm F1.2 AI-s is an outstanding lens. One in excellent condition can be bought used for between $350.00 and $500.00.

Jul 28, 2012 at 08:39 PM
aFrIcanSH
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Any really nice 50mm f/1.2-f/1.4 primes?

for me, i'd go all the way to f1.2 (not sure if the noct is worth the money, so in that case i'd go for the 50 1.2) OR the sigma. If i had to get an AF 50mm, it'd be the sigma.

If you stop the 50 1.2 down it is really sharp, i shoot at f2 and i feel its sharper than other 50's at f2 if you get the focus right. When i shoot at distance, i go for f4. I do use f1.2 too as well though.

Jul 29, 2012 at 01:49 AM
DTOB
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Any really nice 50mm f/1.2-f/1.4 primes?

I love my Sigma, but I haven't been using it much since I got my 55mm 1.2. I've got 5 or 6 50's now, pretty soon the only one left to get with be the Noct which I would love but cannot justify at the moment.

Jul 29, 2012 at 04:11 AM
SloPhoto
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Any really nice 50mm f/1.2-f/1.4 primes?

Form, the sig50 and sig85 were two lenses that allowed me to switch over to nikon from canon.

AF is a bit shaky on some and even the ones that are good are tuned for speed over precision (huge AF steps, so you had better have your MA dialed in).

But the images are stellar.

Jul 29, 2012 at 05:07 AM
canondoc
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Any really nice 50mm f/1.2-f/1.4 primes?

SloPhoto - it's funny that you mention that. I switched over knowing that I have the security of using my most used (I'd say about 80% of the time) lens on my 5DmkII, the Sigma 85, would be a sure thing on Nikon.

Also from what I'm gathering, the Sigma 50 doesn't have the same extremely shoddy AF performance as it did with Canon (is this correct?).

Only thing I will painfully miss is the 135 F2L. I hope they come out with a 135 F2 G lens soon because I'm not going to bother with that DC 135. I'd rather pick up a 150 Macro or something. /tangent

Jul 29, 2012 at 05:29 AM
Sami Ruusunen
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Any really nice 50mm f/1.2-f/1.4 primes?

If you don't mind manual focusing the Voigtlander 58/1.4 is really nice lens. I was not very impressed about the 50/1.4G Nikon so I would get Sigma instead. I myself found the Voigtlander and 50/1.8G combo perfect. I have also the 50/1.2 ai-s. I hope Nikon release 50/1.2G before I reach my retirement.

Jul 29, 2012 at 09:48 AM
form
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Any really nice 50mm f/1.2-f/1.4 primes?

I don't think that Sigma is an option for me, I owned one on the Canon side before and sold it for reasons related to AF accuracy (one of the key reasons why I am trying out Nikon over Canon right now) and IQ deterioration away from center.

Jul 29, 2012 at 02:31 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

cheeba
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Any really nice 50mm f/1.2-f/1.4 primes?

The Sigma focus issues are waaaaay overhyped - I've never had an issue with the four Sigma lenses I've owned (currently own two). The only thing I've had a focus issue with is Nikon gear (D800)! Here's my post from the other 50 prime thread:

I have owned all the Nikon AF 50 1.4s (and some 1.8s for that matter), and I definitely prefer the Sigma - it's the only one I would consider to be 'pro' quality. Not that you can't shoot 'pro' quality images with a $100 50 1.8, but the Sigma is the only one I would put in the same league as my 2.8 zooms and 1.4 primes. I'm selling my Sigma 50, but only because I have the 24G, 35G, and Sigma 85 1.4, and never use it any more.

Sigma has a few gems in their lineup (particularly the 50, 85, and 150), where one can get Nikon - or better - quality.

Jul 29, 2012 at 05:52 PM
SloPhoto
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Any really nice 50mm f/1.2-f/1.4 primes?

form wrote:
I don't think that Sigma is an option for me, I owned one on the Canon side before and sold it for reasons related to AF accuracy (one of the key reasons why I am trying out Nikon over Canon right now) and IQ deterioration away from center.

The sig50 and the 50L are fairly similar optically. The Nikon af-s 50mm 1.4 should have the corner performance and af reliability that you are looking for. I am not a fan of its bokeh though. (the 50mm 1.8g is also an option). Nikon's cheap 50's are much better than canons.

Edited on Jul 29, 2012 at 06:03 PM · View previous versions

Jul 29, 2012 at 05:53 PM
SloPhoto
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Any really nice 50mm f/1.2-f/1.4 primes?

cheeba wrote:
The Sigma focus issues are waaaaay overhyped - I've never had an issue with the four Sigma lenses I've owned (currently own two). The only thing I've had a focus issue with is Nikon gear (D800)! Here's my post from the other 50 prime thread:

I have owned all the Nikon AF 50 1.4s (and some 1.8s for that matter), and I definitely prefer the Sigma - it's the only one I would consider to be 'pro' quality. Not that you can't shoot 'pro' quality images with a $100 50 1.8, but the Sigma is the only one I would put

Sigma has a few gems in their lineup (particularly the 50, 85, and 150), where one can get Nikon - or better - quality.
...Show more

There are two AF issues at play, and I am not sure which one form is taking about.

1) focus distance based error. As the focus plane moves, the required MA changes, sometimes significantly. I saw this in over 3 out of 4 of the canon samples that I tried and the one that did not show it had been sent to sigma 2x. This seems less common on nikon, could relate to a different af algorithm or lens communication on nikons. If this was his issue, it might be worth another try

2) Af speed vs precision. the sig50 and sig85 have HUGE af steps. Try adjusting the MA on these lenses compared to a nikon lens. Each adjustment is HUGE and there are times when you are doing AF tracking that the lens may jackhammer slightly in too large of steps. With a perfectly adjusted lens/body, and knowledge of the lens, this is a far less troublesome issue.

Jul 29, 2012 at 06:03 PM
splathrop
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Any really nice 50mm f/1.2-f/1.4 primes?

Here's your problem. If you want an image quality standard for f/1.4, you won't find it at 50mm, at least not from Canon or Nikon. Not sure about alternatives on the Nikon side, but the Canon 35L f/1.4 is better than any Canon or Nikon 50mm. The Zeiss 35mm f/1.4 is notably better than the Canon 35L, but manual focus. The Zeiss 50 mm f/2.0 is probably the best 50mm lens available from any manufacturer, but manual focus, and not f/1.4. I don't know much about the Zeiss 50mm f/1.4, except that it does not equal the image quality of the f/2.0.

I don't understand why there isn't a great 50mm f/1.4 autofocus lens out there, but there doesn't seem to be. Based on my own experiences with Sigma, I don't trust the Sigma fans to know what they are talking about. But they are praising lenses I haven't used, so maybe I'm the one who doesn't know.

By the way, even in the best lenses, edge sharpness and f/1.4 are incompatible, except in terms of the relative performance of various lenses, none of which will deliver truly sharp edges at that aperture.

Jul 31, 2012 at 11:48 AM
DTOB
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Any really nice 50mm f/1.2-f/1.4 primes?

splathrop wrote:
Based on my own experiences with Sigma, I don't trust the Sigma fans to know what they are talking about. But they are praising lenses I haven't used, so maybe I'm the one who doesn't know.

Nice to know that I don't know what I am talking about, coming from a guy who has never used the lens in question. At least you pointed out the folly for us.

Jul 31, 2012 at 02:19 PM
canondoc
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Any really nice 50mm f/1.2-f/1.4 primes?

splathrop wrote:
....I don't trust the Sigma fans to know what they are talking about. But they are praising lenses I haven't used, so maybe I'm the one who doesn't know.

I'm putting my hand in for a web site face off if you are willing. I promise to embarrass.

Then you can decide if you want to trust this "sigma fan."

Jul 31, 2012 at 02:37 PM
form
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Any really nice 50mm f/1.2-f/1.4 primes?

I'm not looking for OMGSOSHARP edges wide open, I'm just trying to avoid the OMGFINGERPAINTING edges that I saw with a few (not all) 50mm lens reviews.

From my experience, Sigma 50 and Canon 50L look very different - Canon holds better resolution for more of the frame, and the bokeh also has more "character" and is somewhat more nervous and 3-dimensional. Both have some fringing wide open, though the Sigma is worse. I don't mind some character to the bokeh, and I accept that the best 50mm still has a fairly limited resolution quality wide open even in the center. But I really find it difficult to tolerate extremely butter-soft edges and low contrast, because these are not really possible to remedy in post.

One more thing interesting to note about Sigma is that their f/1.4 lens acts more like an f/1.6 lens for light gathering - if you stop down from f/1.4 to f/1.6 you will notice an extremely insignificant difference in the brightness (much less than 1/3 stop), whereas the Canon 35L I have used for so long is easily 1/3 stop brighter at f/1.4 than the Sigma 50.

Jul 31, 2012 at 04:01 PM
frezeiss
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Any really nice 50mm f/1.2-f/1.4 primes?

splathrop wrote:
Here's your problem. If you want an image quality standard for f/1.4, you won't find it at 50mm, at least not from Canon or Nikon. Not sure about alternatives on the Nikon side, but the Canon 35L f/1.4 is better than any Canon or Nikon 50mm. The Zeiss 35mm f/1.4 is notably better than the Canon 35L, but manual focus. The Zeiss 50 mm f/2.0 is probably the best 50mm lens available from any manufacturer, but manual focus, and not f/1.4. I don't know much about the Zeiss 50mm f/1.4, except that it does not equal the image quality of
...Show more

And..the Nikon 35 1.4 is better than the Zeiss equivalent..

Jul 31, 2012 at 04:21 PM
Chestnut
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Any really nice 50mm f/1.2-f/1.4 primes?

Just my 2cents... the Sigma 50 is really good. I like it better than the Nikon 50g.

Seriously, there is no problem with the AF that I've ever experienced with my Sigmas. The issue I ever had was the 10-20 not metering correctly on a new D200, which was a quick trip to Sigma service center, and a free 15 minute chip replacement to make it compatible.

No Sigma AF issues with any of my Nikon bodies ever (with the exception of the new D800 body-related issue).

My friend shoots Canon, and in his words, "it's not fair how Your Sigma seems so much nicer than mine!".

splathrop wrote:
By the way, even in the best lenses, edge sharpness and f/1.4 are incompatible, except in terms of the relative performance of various lenses, none of which will deliver truly sharp edges at that aperture.

I don't know what you're talking about.. my Nikon 24mm f/1.4G is sharp at 1.4... maybe I was lucky and got a fluke!?

Jul 31, 2012 at 05:27 PM
okafoja
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Any really nice 50mm f/1.2-f/1.4 primes?

Chestnut wrote:
Just my 2cents... the Sigma 50 is really good. I like it better than the Nikon 50g.

Seriously, there is no problem with the AF that I've ever experienced with my Sigmas. The issue I ever had was the 10-20 not metering correctly on a new D200, which was a quick trip to Sigma service center, and a free 15 minute chip replacement to make it compatible.

No Sigma AF issues with any of my Nikon bodies ever (with the exception of the new D800 body-related issue).

My friend shoots Canon, and in his words, "it's not fair how Your Sigma seems so
...Show more

Your 24mm f/1.4 is sharp edge to edge at 1.4 and all your Sigma lenses have no AF issue.
You must be a special guy.

Jul 31, 2012 at 06:16 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password