New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Eye-Fi card, iPad Photosmith app, & Lightroom

LoneLeaf

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Eye-Fi card, iPad Photosmith app, & Lightroom

Hi all

Not sure in which forum this fits best, so I'll try here.

I recently added an iPad 2 to my photography work. I'm currently trying to make the following workflow run properly:

Canon 5D III w/ Eye-Fi card -> iPad 2 Photosmith app -> Lightroom 3.6 on PC (Win 7 64-bit)

I have the Eye-Fi sending only JPG to the iPad. (I copy the RAW files directly to my PC with a cardreader.) The Eye-Fi dumps these JPG into the iPad's Camera Roll, just like pretty much every app that saves images on the iPad. The Photosmith app accesses these JPG to permit adding metadata, ratings, etc. So far so good...

Photosmith has a plugin for Lightroom that permits syncing the metadata added to the JPGs on the iPad with the catalogue on the PC (and marry it to the RAW files put there directly by card-reader).

The problem that I have encountered is that the JPG filenames do not match. For some reason, the JPG files that Eye-Fi puts into the iPad's Camera Roll are renamed to an IMG_1234.JPG format. I checked other apps such as Safari, Zenfolio, Facebook, and they all they all do the same---regardless of the source app, the iPad renames the file to the next number in the IMG_xxxx.JPG sequence. Therefore when the Photosmith plugin is trying to match the JPG on the iPad with the files on the PC, it can't find them.

Both the Photosmith developer and Eye-Fi tech support tell me that this shouldn't be happening. The developer says he is running the same equipment setup, and this is the only report he's gotten of files being renamed. I cannot find any settings on the iPad that might control photo filenames. All info I've found online is the opposite of the developer and Eye-Fi tech support, saying the iOS photo app always renames photo files to IMG_1234.JPG format in the Camera Roll.

I'm hoping that others here might have some experience with this setup, or something similar, and may be able to post ideas to help get this working.

Extra details:
- iPad 2 with iOS v5.1.1, freshly re-installed (3 wks ago) (latest update)
- Eye-Fi Pro X2 8 GB card
- Eye-Fi app v2.0.90 (latest update)
- Photosmith app v2.1.1 (build 4571) (latest update)
- Lightroom 64-bit v3.6 (build 79562) (latest update)
- Lightroom Photosmith plugin v2.1.8 (latest update)
- Win 7 64-bit SP1 (latest updates)

Many thanks!

Jul 28, 2012 at 01:02 PM
LoneLeaf

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Eye-Fi card, iPad Photosmith app, & Lightroom

Okay solution found! Posting here in the hopes that it will help others who are adding the Eye-Fi / Photosmith / Lightroom pathway to their workflow.

When using Photosmith, the Eye-Fi app must *NOT* be used!! The Photosmith app has its own native Eye-Fi support, and it is *MANDATORY* to use it. If you do not, Photosmith is unable to see the original JPG filenames from the Eye-Fi card, and instead will see only the renamed names in the Camera Roll assigned by the iOS. Your sync with Lightroom will fail as the JPG names will not correspond to the RAW names in Lightroom.

After turning off the Eye-Fi app and ensuring that the Eye-Fi service in Photosmith was properly configured, my syncs with Lightroom now run no problem. And it's relatively quick, adding the metadata to my DNG files in Lightroom at about 1 image per second (it's done over Wi-Fi, as sync via USB is not possible).

I'd like to say this was a case of RTFM, however much of the "manual" is not yet written---the FAQ is still growing. As well, for users who were already using the Eye-Fi prior to ever adding the Photosmith app (like me), it's easy to be unaware that you need to *STOP* using the Eye-Fi app.

Instructions for setting up Photosmith for Eye-Fi are here:
http://support.photosmithapp.com/knowledgebase/articles/59566-services-import-from-eye-fi-v2-
and for "disabling" the Eye-Fi app are here
http://support.photosmithapp.com/knowledgebase/articles/85170-why-won-t-photosmith-s-eye-fi-service-start-

You will also need the Lightroom plugin instructions, here:
http://support.photosmithapp.com/knowledgebase/articles/59567-services-sync-with-lightroom-plugin-v2-

Hope this helps! I can't wait to put this new tool into serious action!

Jul 29, 2012 at 10:16 AM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.