Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Session pricing and multiple locations and digital downloads

mrhoni
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Session pricing and multiple locations and digital downloads

Looking for some feedback here and some examples of what others do that seems fair to both photographer and customer. Also explain why you made some choices.

New to charging and I'm now setting my pricing and am flip flopping and tweaking.

For example:
Session fee of $200 for 1 hour at location. This is my travel, setup and shooting cost.
Additional fee of $50 if I must travel more than 30 miles. To me, this means 1 hour round-trip travel time and gas.
Print Credit for 1 5x7 and 1 web size file download.
Additional $125 for each additional hour (maybe add credit for additional web size download for this additional hour?)

Photos will be loaded to customers private gallery in Smugmug where either the customer on there own or with me can order prints, merchandise or file downloads.

Question 1 - If for example you are photographing seniors and there are multiple locations and clothing changes, do you count that time for travel and clothing changes as part of the hour?
I'm thinking $125 for each additional hour of shooting also include the time to drive to another location and clothing changes.

Question 2 - Sales tax for the session costs is to be collected if a tangible item is purchased, such as prints. I was planning to collect the sales tax during session invoicing and then issue a refund if only digital downloads are purchased after the customer views their gallery.

Question 3 - I was setting pricing on downloads as premium as the thinking is if the person buys the digital file itself, then they can use it where they wish such as Facebook, print any quantity or sizes they desire. Also within Smugmug its not clear yet that I can do some fancy pricing and packages, so for the moment I'm keeping it simple.
Web size $10
1mb size $20
4mb size $50
Original full quality $75

My head is spinning and there are probably more questions, but this is a start.

Jul 28, 2012 at 04:35 PM
Michaelparris
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Session pricing and multiple locations and digital downloads

I started a similar thread here: http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1135134/0#10837400

I am currently restructuring my prices. The hurdle I keep coming up against is providing packages that all can afford. the other is selling hi-res files and if so at what price.

Jul 28, 2012 at 04:58 PM
mrhoni
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Session pricing and multiple locations and digital downloads

Michael,
I saw that thread and didn't want to hijack, but it did have me questioning more. I know it is subjective and may vary by market but there are plenty of people who may have learned what works best on average. Looking to learn from that knowledge.

Jul 28, 2012 at 06:58 PM

jefferies1
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Session pricing and multiple locations and digital downloads

I would suggest something simple. If your goal is to sell prints then make a system based on selling....and I mean selling prints, not letting the person buy online.
I don't like all that session fee stuff. I don't plan to make my money on session fees. Having a set session price but discount as a incentive to book is good to cover your gas. After shooting have a sales session. NEVER post online to buy. Show and tell your vision of how each image looks after re-touching, assuming you have one and understand post processing. Sell your time as art creation, not some online print. Forget those $10.00-$20.00 prices. Maybe start at at least $75.00 or close to it. Then mention your favorite as a 20x30 canvas for $300.00. Keep the list price of prints high and make a package A and B appear to be much better deal. Sell only the digital when they buy a print as you will seldom sell 2 of the same pose anyway unless it was really unique. While the digital might block a extra print sale many still buy knowing it will look better than walmart. Assuming you use real pro lab and manye a nice finish option to stand apart. Creative Live had a guy last week very defined about selling. You would actually make money if you did his system. Air date July 6, Sal Cincotta ( High school Seniors). Remember selling based on emotion makes people justify spending more. Looking at a snapshot online never will.

Jul 28, 2012 at 07:21 PM
mrhoni
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Session pricing and multiple locations and digital downloads

Jefferies1 - Seems that an option could be to not turn on the shopping cart feature until meeting with the customer to personally review the gallery guiding them with purchase decisions.
I wonderif it works best to provide a link to the customer to view their finished gallery first and then meet with them after a few days to discuss purchase OR they don't see the finished gallery until you meet with them and get them pumped up and in a buying frenzy.
Question - if you don't charge a session fee, then if the customer decides to buy very little, they it seems you don't make much for your time. When I read that other have a session fee, it seems to give incentive for the customer to make purchases and the photographer is not left with little for all the time invested.

Jul 28, 2012 at 07:44 PM
Michaelparris
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Session pricing and multiple locations and digital downloads

If your goal is to make x amount of money. What is the difference in no session fee with higher priced prints or vice versa.

Jul 28, 2012 at 08:24 PM

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password